SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:43 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Kaos

I've come to have a GP Kaos kit that has sat around for several years. This has a 58" wingspan and calls for a 60 sized slimer. I'd like to electrify the Kaos. What would be a good Sunday/beginner's pattern power system look like for this oldybutgoody?

Larry Fitch
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:54 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,263 Posts
I'm guessing as an older style model designed vfor glue it doesn't have a lot of ground clearance for the prop. it will make a huge difference to the power system If you can fit only a 13" prop instead of say 16". so if you can advise that constraint, there's sure to be a workable solution.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Kaos ground clearance

Good point--sorry I didn't address that. To be honest, I don't know. I'd assume that with a recommended .60 glow engine, it would clear a 12" prop, since that is what most 60 sized engines spin. As the kit has been assembled I can't measure real ground clearance. I will look at the plans, and see if there is anything there that might help answer this important question.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Looked at plans

I just looked at the kit plans and it shows about 7.5" from the center line of the engine to the ground. This plane normally has tricycle landing gear, so that measurement is with the airplane sitting level on the ground. I'll likely make it a taildragger, but it can likely swing a 13-14" propeller. Thoughts?

Larry
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:52 AM
Plane Basher
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Joined Oct 2005
201 Posts
Electrified KAOS

LRFitch,

I have built a KAOS and electrified it. I left it as trike geared plane using 5 cell
5000Mah lipo battery with an E-flite 46 motor and 60 amp esc. The plane flew well and I kept it for about a year then sold it after about 20 or so flights.. The plane was well behaved and flew well. Flight time were about 6 minutes of wide open throttle, 7 plus minutes if you worked the throttle though the speed range. I sold because it just didn't suit me

Name: IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 185.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 161.3 KB
Description:
slammer1 is online now Find More Posts by slammer1
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Larry
There's been quite a few Kaos electrocutions around here lately, a scrat around to find them in various other forums should give you lots of good info.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=70405&page=4. Is one 'someplace else'...

Battery access is the big one in any glow to electric conversion - having the kit vice the readymade makes that easier to deal with.

Suggest you work out how the new drivetrain is going to fit before starting into the build!

Mine is cheating - I scaled down the 58" span plan to 50", so I can use my usual 4S 3500-ish packs. Went with a taildragger to (A) be able to use bigger props, and (B) I'm too tight to have to buy three wheels

Quick good point - everyone who's electrocuted a Kaos seems to love 'em.

Good luck

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2004
333 Posts
Thanks

Dereck,
Thanks for the link--very helpful. I think I will order all the power train parts and do a layout on the plans to see where everything should fit, like you recommend. Good Stuff.
All,
I think I will make the following mods to the Kaos:[*]two aileron servos in the wing[*]rudder and elev. servos behind the wing under the hatch[*]battery hatch as large as possible[*]taildragger landing gear, and not in wing

Some have talked about lowering the horz. stab into the fuse, or below for less coupling. I've been thinking about lowering a bit, and building in a little anhedral as well. Thoughts?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:12 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Larry
Two aileron servos - is there any other way? I did it on my first big electrocution, a Four Star 40 in 1998 and that was it for torque rods etc.

UC - taildragger mounted to the fus ahead of the wing LE former. If you can't find a suitable UC, www.tntlandinggear.com is a good place to go. You can send them a dimensioned drawing of what you want, they offer a quote, no commitment until you accept their quote. Have used them several times, good quality every time.

My hatch on pretty much the 'stock' fuselage structure goes from about 3" aft of the firewall to the former at the wing TE. Fus servos are just ahead of the TE former, accessed from the topside via the hatch. There's shots of it scattered around, unfortunately, in the middle of a house move, I don't have access to them right now.

When I first got into the Kaos thing, I did a google on the model and was surprised by how many photos turned up. Give it a try, you might get some inspiration on that lowered tailplane thing. Can't help you much here ref the Kaos, though I did lower the tailplane on my Four Star 40 and found it improved knife edge flight areas considerably and have used it on my subsequent designs.

Though it makes construction a little more fiddly when mounting the tailplane, it seems to work for KE flight.

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,277 Posts
Here's my build of Kaos ARF from Tower: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=kao
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101