HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Sep 2006
88 Posts
Discussion
Ray Monks' Quickie Aeromodeller March 1952

May I ask for a little advice from you experts?

If converting this A2 (or similar) FF to RC would it be normal to shift the balance point forward?

I ask because the plan has the design balance at about 60 percent chord and that is pretty extreme.

Secondly in the trimming section it mentions positive and negative tail packing.

Is 'positive' packing under the trailing edge of the tail and negative under the leading edge?

be lucky
Motobiman is offline Find More Posts by Motobiman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:13 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Many years ago in my club in Cheshire we ran a contest for vintage A/2s with rudder/elevator radio. Several were built, including my Jader 60, a Twomey Snark, a Yeabsley Revenge (lovely model), a Hansen Aurikel and, yes, a Quickie. Our experience was that they were fine with the indicated CG positions, and they all flew very nicely indeed, my best line launched (bungee) flight with the Jader was just a couple of minutes short of an hour!.

I would imagine that the "positive/negative" refers to the actual tailplane, so positive packing would be under the leading edge and negative under the trailing edge
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Sep 2006
88 Posts
Thanks all makes sense ..........
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Sep 2006
88 Posts
Ready for test flying

325gr AUW
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Less than 12 ounces - that's pretty good, should be a real floater. As a free flighter it had to weight 14.1/2 ounces minimum for use in A/2 (now F1A) contests. Good luck with the test flights.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,608 Posts
I've never had a Quickie but there were several in my old North London club and all were excellent gliders - though probably at 'lightweight' levels rather than FAI weight.

Always fancied a Jader, George, but never got around to it; still have a plan in the file cabinet.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2006
88 Posts
Funny that - I just downloaded the plan for the Jader 60 but was intrigued by the mention of the Goolite, a 'squared-up' Jader.

The plan is difficult to read being black on grey and I need to find a better source.

The wing section looks somewhat more 'modern'.

Got a Lil Bird 60inch to build first then, well cant sit around doing nothing ...........

Was interested in some trimming info for the A2 I read.

Trim for a stall in levelflight and use turn to kill it like we do indoor with rubber duration.

Made me wonder if a rudder to elevator mix would work..............

be lucky