SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:47 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
I personally prefer tape hinges (1/2" Blenderm or Target green tape) but looks like your tiny CA hinges could work as well. It might be a perfect solution to mix those two - install the CA hinges close to the horns and tape elsewhere?

There's a few Armonias flying in Finland as well and based on what I heard, it is a very good plane. There has been only two tiny issues with them:

1) You have to build the tail very light to be able to balance the plane if you have a very light motor - ESC combo like the Dualsky RTR. Hollow carbon tubes help. You may also consider moving all the equipment as forward as possible.

2) The nose section is a bit fragile since it has been milled all the way. It might be a good idea to use some scrap depron to reinforce it. This won't cause balance issues, see point 1.

Filippo, you could improve the quality of the already nice kit by deleting some of the milling from the nose, in my opinion.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:57 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
I personally prefer tape hinges (1/2" Blenderm or Target green tape) but looks like your tiny CA hinges could work as well. It might be a perfect solution to mix those two - install the CA hinges close to the horns and tape elsewhere?

There's a few Armonias flying in Finland as well and based on what I heard, it is a very good plane. There has been only two tiny issues with them:

1) You have to build the tail very light to be able to balance the plane if you have a very light motor - ESC combo like the Dualsky RTR. Hollow carbon tubes help. You may also consider moving all the equipment as forward as possible.

2) The nose section is a bit fragile since it has been milled all the way. It might be a good idea to use some scrap depron to reinforce it. This won't cause balance issues, see point 1.

Filippo, you could improve the quality of the already nice kit by deleting some of the milling from the nose, in my opinion.
Thanks for the heads-up, Finnspeed. It looks like the worst case is to build her too heavy, i.e., adding a lot of Depron to the nose part for balancing and strength.

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
The build is almost finished. By my estimate, it will weigh around 110 grams with an 18-gram pack (300 mAh 2S). I also have lighter packs (i.e., 180 mAh 2S), but am afraid that getting the right CG could be a challenge with these packs. It looks like I need to position the heavier pack very close to the motor in order to balance the plane.

The quality of the provided clevises could be a problem. I broke the tiny pin/shaft of not one but two of the clevises during installation. I replaced those broken pins with some 0.6mm CF rods, which turned out to be an easy fix to my surprise.

I should have some more experience to share as I finish the build.

Best regards,

feda
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
15 Posts
Nice!

There's a manual available for download?
ziper_it is offline Find More Posts by ziper_it
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziper_it View Post
Nice!

There's a manual available for download?
Hi ziper_it,

I've shot the manual for you.

Cheers,

feda
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
15 Posts
Thanks a lot, Feda, really appreciate it.
ziper_it is offline Find More Posts by ziper_it
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziper_it View Post
Thanks a lot, Feda, really appreciate it.
You are very welcome, ziper_it.

My build of Armonia is done! I didn't always go the lightest possible way during the build. Sometimes, I traded it for better strength; other times for cost- or time-savings. The plane ended up with a bit over 110-gram AUW including a 2S 300 mAh lipo pack. Therefore, I believe the AUW range specified in the manual is achievable with some effort.

Please see the pictures that I uploaded for the things I think worth noting. Your answers, suggestions, or comments are welcome. Thanks.

The motor used is Dualsky's 2212RTR with a built-in ESC. I've seen the motor mounted on a wood cross with a 2mm gap in between and then mounted on the plane, but the whole point of Dualsky's design is to eliminate the use of a wood or metal cross piece to mount the motor, isn't it? Would mounting the motor directly on foam cause any heat dissipation problem?

Cheers,

feda
Last edited by feda; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
910 Posts
I don't think the symmetrical bracing is necessary on a pattern plane, Filippo was probably trying to save weight.

Nice build!

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:20 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Looks pretty good to me.

How's the CG? It could be a problem since you have a very light motor. Also don't use the 8" GWS prop with that motor, it will overload it. The 7" one is the correct choice and gives you much better flight times until you can get a Glavak SG 9x2.0.

The screw for pull-pull string tightening works fine if you turn the string a few times around the screw and then lock it by applying just a tiny amount of CA with a toothpick or similar. Then when you tighten the string afterwards, there will be half a turn or more of glue-free string on top. I always bring both ends of the string to the same screw. This allows me to tighten the string without changing any trim settings.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Last edited by Finnspeed; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:45 PM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Quote:
Would mounting the motor directly on foam cause any heat dissipation problem?
no problem but you have to cut some depron off the nose behind the motor so the eletronic have space its not fully flat behind, I have done this on several plane and just used fiberglass tape to hold the engine, I have also seen blenderntape to do this
rgj is online now Find More Posts by rgj
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I don't think the symmetrical bracing is necessary on a pattern plane, Filippo was probably trying to save weight.

Nice build!

Free
Yes! I wrote the manual by myself considering the best solutions to obtain a very lightweight but strong plane....after many test. So I suggest you to copy exactly the pictures of the manual so you can be sure to build the plane with perfection! It's tested!
FiloMaterazzi is offline Find More Posts by FiloMaterazzi
Old May 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
This is my first foam plane and I want to thank Filippo Materazzi for putting a label on all those carbon rods!

I seen the throw setting but I would like to know what Expo to run?

Just started my build.
Bandit at Two is offline Find More Posts by Bandit at Two
Old Jul 06, 2013, 10:46 AM
Finland
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Just bought this great looking plane, my 1st indoor plane.
What size of lipos you guys are using and whats ur flight time? Still need to buy em, and dont really have idea of flight times with these lighties
marco_m is offline Find More Posts by marco_m
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, NJ, Englishtown
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
My Armonia is arriving today! I can't wait to start the build. I promised myself to take my time and get it right!!

Im going to try the Dulasky esc/motor combo. I will try to get some glavak props... but I have time since there is no rush! I purchased these Power HD DS44 servos. They were inexpensive but the specs are unreal... almost nervous that they wont work as well... but I looked up reviews. All look OK... I just bench tested them... results were excellent... fast and accurate... We'll see.

Does anyone have the time to document or video the technique used to mount and glue a carbon rod brace into the depron. Ive built lower quality planes before, but I want to get this one perfect... some ideas on how the "good builders" do it would be great!!!

Thanks for any help!!
bells33 is offline Find More Posts by bells33
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,492 Posts
Cut and dry. If you've built a shock flyer, you can do this.

Less is more; use only enough adhesive to get it done. More glue, is more weight and usually more brittle.

Sand the cf only where it will be glued to aid bonding. Or sand it all to shave some weight.

Use your jigs and square it up.

A flat surface for wing spars.... I use my granite counters in the kitchen. Queue the Gonk Show theme!

I hope you show us your progress.

Have fun!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33