SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Is there a micro signal converter? That would be nice. The servo looks great; I think I would stick with the XP3A and use it's connectors.
that xp3a looks neat!
and the servo is on order
just need to find some suitable motors
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Has anybody else lost a magnet off the nosecone, and what did you replace it with? Can you get spare magnets, or is there some other way of holding it on (or should I just get a new nose, given the crash which resulted in the lost magnet also broke off the last couple of guns)?

Also any suggestions on restoring the original shape of the foam the nosecone sits on - the lower bit's got a bit crushed, so the nosecone no longer sits properly?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:47 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
that xp3a looks neat!
and the servo is on order
just need to find some suitable motors
I think the AP05 is a good fit. The AP03 is a little small - it might get hot. The trick will be to get the stock propellers onto the motor.
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:48 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Has anybody else lost a magnet off the nosecone, and what did you replace it with? Can you get spare magnets, or is there some other way of holding it on (or should I just get a new nose, given the crash which resulted in the lost magnet also broke off the last couple of guns)?

Also any suggestions on restoring the original shape of the foam the nosecone sits on - the lower bit's got a bit crushed, so the nosecone no longer sits properly?
magnets shouldn't be hard to find. fr your crushed foam.... and I'm guessing you mean the lower front section. remove the bottom on the mossie. and use boiling water. simply submerg the crumpled part in boiling for a while. it's worked on a few bits of mine. lines in the foam will remain but the shape will be restored
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post

Replacement Magnets can be easily made out of the flexible magnet sheet used for "refrigerator magnet" / magnetic business cards. Just cut a small square of that and glue/tape it on......it might be a little thicker than the original magnet but it works.

I steam out crumples in the foam using a small pot or frying pan. I tilt the lid so steam escapes on one side and washes over the part of the fueslage I am repairing. If the foam gets too hot it will pop/expand the surface beads creating an "orange peel" effect on the surface (almost like some paints that dry/cure to fast) So steam it gradually until it fits the front nose cone again.

Hope that helps
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 23, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
I steam out crumples in the foam using a small pot or frying pan. I tilt the lid so steam escapes on one side and washes over the part of the fueslage I am repairing. If the foam gets too hot it will pop/expand the surface beads creating an "orange peel" effect on the surface (almost like some paints that dry/cure to fast) So steam it gradually until it fits the front nose cone again.
Thanks for the tip - dipped the nose in a cup of boiling water and that did the trick very nicely. Unfortunately I'd already got the orange peel effect from trying heating with a hairdryer (having seen that tip elsewhere - didn't really work very well), but then mine is never going to win any awards for close up appearance - doesn't make any difference when it's flying!

Haven't got any fridge magnet or magnetic business card stuff - will keep a lookout, though swapping the one magnet I have to the top works OK.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
512 Posts
[QUOTE=F18;18840924]Replacement Magnets can be easily made out of the flexible magnet sheet used for "refrigerator magnet" / magnetic business cards. Just cut a small square of that and glue/tape it on......it might be a little thicker than the original magnet but it works.

Fridge magnets are not strong enough to hold the nose on. You can get small rare earth magnets from craft stores or in Canada, from Princess Auto. I'd have a look at Harbour Freight.
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Spitfire View Post
DX6i, on DSM2.

To add to my trouble's, I got a call from HH, saying the new charger had been sent to my LHS, and upon inspection, its for a UMX Beast! Not buying from HH again, unless they improve on customer support. One more thing they stuff up, I am bringing the Consumer Service's board into it.
e-flite makes a power supply for this charger.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
1 other question. i have set the brick for flaps/ailerons
how do i go about setting it up correctly? so far i have the ailerons moving correct and then i hit the flap switch and i have spoilers :S
do i need to open up the mossie? and re wire the servo lead?
Where can I find instructions on setting the mossie up with flaperons?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Instead of getting into the whole story again I'd like to post the email I am sending to Horizon Hobby. Tells the story very well and please keep in mind I'm not looking to start a radio war. Nothing stirs a father more then to see his son hurting, all the fathers out there know exactly what i mean, and some of that made it's way into the email. I'm only human. Hopefully HH does the right thing. What that is right now I'm really not sure.

I have been flying for 4 years on Futaba. Never a problem and NEVER a glitch. My son who turned 13 just this year finally showed some interests in flying planes with me. He has been cutting grass to make enough money to buy himself his first plane. I fly glow and gas but his interest lies in the micro electric planes. He had his heart set on the Parkzone Mosquito. Just this past week he reached his goal of $100 and I agreed to pay the rest because of the hard work that he put in.
He knows how to fly and has flown my planes a few times. He has also been practicing on the simulator knowing he would have a plane of his own to fly. With his interest in the small micro park fliers I thought Parkzone and Spectrum would be a good choice, boy was I wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well 30 seconds into the first flight he loses control and tells me the plane is not following his commands. We both watch it auger in from 40 feet up and hit straight in. After picking up the wreck we notice the plane is still powered but does not respond to the TX. After unplugging the battery and turning off the TX we re-bind the plane and suddenly it all works again. So we lost the bind on the very first flight. In 4 years with Futaba I have never had a problem or even noticed a glitch, 30 seconds with spectrum and we have already lost the bind.
I told him it was not his fault and that I would replace the plane with something he can choose and something we can put a Futaba RX in so this stuff NEVER happens again.
The worst part was my son trying to hide his tears on the ride home from the park. Unless your a father you have no idea what that feels like. My most important job in my life is to protect my children and it is taking all my strength not to express to you how I really feel and in the language I would really prefer to use.
I have read many horror stories regarding spectrum and after searching for Parkzone Mosquito problems I learn you are coming out with a new improved version, I can only hope this one has a new feature where the plane and TX actually stay linked to each other. I know I know, quite a concept but hey, a father can dream can't he.
If nothing else I have vented and feel better myself, hopefully my son will keep his interest long enough for us to fly together and enjoy this hobby like it is supposed to be enjoyed.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Last edited by Mikecam; Jul 23, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,057 Posts
Good luck on the NEVER part. I don't care who made it, with these miniature electronics, never is not an option. Like anybody else, I feel really bad for your son, and I hope he comes through. Which transmitter did you have? I think they have had some problems with the newest dx8 and will more than likely replace what needs to be and fix the transmitter without question. They have some bulletins out. Have you called Horizon to discuss the problem? I have found them to be really easy to get along with and always willing to stand behind their products. I have a mosquito and use a dx7 radio and have never had a glitch with it or any of my 15 or so planes that I fly several days each week. There are bad apples in most any bunch.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
. There are bad apples in most any bunch.
Well said. I too have never had any problem with Spektrum gear. Sorry for your sons loss, let us know what HH say.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:55 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
Where can I find instructions on setting the mossie up with flaperons?
page:192

and Iv tried flaperons..... not nice!
spoilerons are best.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Just droppin in with a video of my mossie from today, had alot of fun, thought id share

Parkzone UM Mosquito FPV - Mighty Wings (4 min 12 sec)
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Just droppin in with a video of my mossie from today, had alot of fun, thought id share
Must be the wrong video. I did not see a mossie anywhere in it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly