SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
T-28 vs. Hurri???

One requires a beginner pilot and one doesn't. Guess which one?
Pilot Fatigue is online now Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:59 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
I actually did it the somewhat hard way...I used a dual action(the button with variable speed) airbrush and painted all the big chunks of the brown. Since I didnt feel like trying to cut out perfect pieces of paper and wetting them(Babadush tactics...and they work!) I just hand painted the edges of the brown chunks with a brush and made sure the strokes were really smooth so that I could avoid the overspray of the airbrush. Being foam, it is not hard to hide the brush strokes as Im sure you are well aware Moon beam from your past P-51 projects. The only part that took a bit was the read end of the fuselage where I painted around the J X and the serial number at the tail. Sorry I dont have much magic here to share, but this plane is pretty easy to paint. I will look to doing some weathering on it later on this week.

Moonbeam, curious if you think it is worth it to put a white stripe at the front of the tail section of the fuselage? I know the PZ Spit has one and wasnt sure if the hurricane is accurate with that on there? Im not trying to make this 100% scale as I didnt got with callie to get new graphics but I would like to possibly throw the white stripe if it makes sense.

To elaborate more on the Babadush tactic which he found from another member it goes like this. Use paper or newpaper and cut it so that it will cover the parts you dont want to paint. After you have dryfit the paper and satisfied with the coverage it needs to cover, then damp the paper and apply it like a decal to the parts you dont want to be painted and then press the edges of the paper to make sure it has a good seal. You can also take a papertowel and absorb any excess water so that it doesnt get blown onto the paint. After that, spray on and then when the paint dries you should be able to take off the paper without having any adhesive problems that you would with the blue tape.

If you go with blue tape, wear some jeans. When you are ready to go apply the blue painters tape, FIRST take the strip you plan to apply and apply it on to your jeans and then take it back off. Repeat this a few times (4-5 preferably) so that you take away alot of the adhesiveness which helps to prevent ripping off the paint you want to keep. After that, simply apply at the edges.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Coot
Thank you!!! YES, that helps. I kinda figured that's what you did, but wanted to make sure rather than assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStone View Post
Moonbeam, are you going to post your research like you did with the P-51s? I know that you put a lot of work into it. I love seeing all the repaints everyone does.
Well, if the weather stays as God awful as it is, I just might have to do a thread to kill the boredom! LOL It would be a lot of fun, but not sure at the moment. I think I did one for the P-47 too, just not as detailed as the P-51 thread.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
After doing some more research, I think I am going to try to a white stripe in front of the tail and put some yellow lines on the leading edges of the wings. I should have some photos up later today of that soaked paper method.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
My Hurri is "out for delivery". Hooray!

Now, will I maiden her stock, or will she get re schemed immediately....
Blizny is offline Find More Posts by Blizny
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 AM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
If you have never flown a hurricane, def maiden it first. This is my second hawker hurricane...what scheme were you thinking of?

Coot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:11 AM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Update

Hey guys just to do a little update here...decided to try out weathering with an airbrush. It is very easy and takes like 20 min...I used a flat black color and just moderated my spray and was able to make a decent job of it(IMO of course).

As far as the soaked paper...drench the thing in water and then let it DRY before painting. I was playing around with it some more and that is the best way to achieve this for taping over things. I also painted my spinner white, if you want to paint yours, def spray a few tack coats. Tack coats are very thin coats of paint where you see a billion little spots of paint on something. When this dries, it makes the paint able to stick on it much better. Anyway hit it about 5 coats, Im sure any nose over will take off the paint but nothing a little rattle can cant fix. The yellow is still being built up...wanted to let it dry more before I do more coats. Its coming along...

Coot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,736 Posts
Voxel, what batts are you using? I was not able to fit them in my nose without excessive cutting, I left it as-is for now... would you take a pic?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Voxel, what batts are you using? I was not able to fit them in my nose without excessive cutting, I left it as-is for now... would you take a pic?
Hobby People 3s 2200mah (each 160g?) - more or less same weight as the Parkzone ones.

I didn't cut any foam yet. I may cut some tonight to move the lipos an inch forward so the CG around 2.75". I made a mistake and my current CG is 3" (tail end of the recommended - AVOID the manual's CG)
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,249 Posts
Quote:
NEVER stick batteries in your nose!!! You'll cause serious breathing troubles!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Coot,
That looks cool! Here's a couple pics I found on another site about plastic model building. Interestingly enough (I would never have thought of it), he added the weathering before the main overall paint. I might try this.

http://hsfeatures.com/hurricanesk_1.htm
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
You haz hurricane?
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
That is some serious weathering there...I do see what you mean and this is actually pretty smart with an airbrush. I am gonna finish the white stripe that I had painted earlier and then I should be almost done besides starting to do more weathering.

Coot
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
That turned out looking really well done.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:37 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
That turned out looking really well done.
+1

It is so easy to over-do it when weathering, this is one great looking finish.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
+1

It is so easy to over-do it when weathering, this is one great looking finish.
It's very easy to over do it. I like subtlety.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,626 Posts
Ya know you see so many different early Hurri and Spitfire photos in the dark earth and RAF Green camo but there always seems to be a huge variance in the darkness of the brown. I've seen photos of restored Hurri's with almost a tan like the plastic model Moonbeam posted.

I like the lighter brown/tan but I think the darker color is correct. ANybody know?

THanks
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:35 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
Ya know you see so many different early Hurri and Spitfire photos in the dark earth and RAF Green camo but there always seems to be a huge variance in the darkness of the brown. I've seen photos of restored Hurri's with almost a tan like the plastic model Moonbeam posted.

I like the lighter brown/tan but I think the darker color is correct. ANybody know?

THanks
Alan
You'd figure the Battle of Britain hangar at Duxford would have it right! Theirs look kind of "medium"--a bit darker than the photos of the plastic model, but perhaps a bit lighter than what Eflite gave us.

Cheers!
Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH