SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:36 PM
Coventry West Midlands UK
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Discussion
Dx6i trim problem

Newby. Hi been flying fixed wing for 40 odd years but have just got my first heli a Blade CP PRO2 i know what you are thinking, but i have been using Blade MCX and a lot of practice on a Sim. The PRO2 came with the E-FLITE transmitter but i like to be able to program the trani, so i purchaced a DX6i second hand in very good condition. It handles the PRO2 fine move the stick which way you want the model to go and it goes. Now the bit i can`t get my head round, PRO2`s first flight going to the left needing right trim but giving it right trim made it worse so watching the movement of the servos and giving right trim is giving the opposit left trim. To get right trim i have to give left on the trim button and changing to a acro memory makes no differance the trim movement is still opposit to the stick movement Now being a newby at Helicopters am i missing something or is there something wrong with the DX6i. BTW the E-flite trani is ok trims go the same way as the sticks. Thanks in advance for any help.
Arfamo
arfamo is offline Find More Posts by arfamo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,416 Posts
Well to start make sure you have the CCPM 3 servo/120degree swash setting.

So basically the helicopter responds to the sticks correctly but the aileron trim is backwards.

I dont know if this will help but heres a set up page http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020594

You will NOT be able to fly this heli on ACRO at all.

Consider resetting the model in the 6i and starting all over with HELI selected and the above settings in the link.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Well to start make sure you have the CCPM 3 servo/120degree swash setting.

So basically the helicopter responds to the sticks correctly but the aileron trim is backwards.

I dont know if this will help but heres a set up page http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020594

You will NOT be able to fly this heli on ACRO at all.

Consider resetting the model in the 6i and starting all over with HELI selected and the above settings in the link.
I only went into acro on another memory to see if the trims were still the wrong way round, with the motors disconnected. The trims on the tail rotor and throttle are the right way its just the aileron and elevator, thanks for the link will give the settings a try.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Unless you have a programmable radio that will allow for crossed trim, trims are supposed to be in the same direction of the sticks.

You bought it used, any chance the previous owner mite of done something to the radio....
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Unless you have a programmable radio that will allow for crossed trim, trims are supposed to be in the same direction of the sticks.

You bought it used, any chance the previous owner mite of done something to the radio....
Its possible but looking at a pic in the manual with the back off the trani everything looks in place, you can`t see anything obvious. I need to find someone with a DX6i to look inside in detail compared to my trani, i think there i something wrong with the transmitter.
Thanks
Arfamo
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,441 Posts
You should go into the monitor screen to see what the transmitter is thinking about the servo motion. The trims are on a circuit board. Been along time since I have taken one appart. I think they could be put in backwards with some work, but not likely.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:11 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Arfamo,

Here's the alternate TX settings, try these. If you still have a problem let us know.

It's a pdf file and you may have to zoom in on it to read it. Set to 75% zoom works good for me.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...alAddendum.pdf
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
These are the settings I used in my DX6i and they were great because they didn't over-control the collective and were docile enough on Normal settings that I learned to fly with the CP Pro 2. Hope these help.

CP Pro 2

D/R&EXPO:

0:
AILE 0: 70% +25%
ELEV 0: 70% +25%
RUDD 0: 92% +35%

1:
AILE 1: 100% +20%
ELEV 1: 100% +20%
RUDD 1: 100% +30%

TRAVEL ADJ:

RUDD: Left 96% Right 100%
All others set to 100%

SUB TRIM

Throttle is set DOWN 25
The rest are at 0

GYRO:

0: 76.0%
1: 71.0%

THRO CUR:

NORM:
0%-50%-75%-80%-80%
STUNT:
100%-95%-80%-95%-100%
HOLD:
0% across the board

PITC CUR:

NORM:
37%-43%-50%-75%-100%
STUNT:
0%-25%-50%-75%-100%
HOLD:
37%-43%-50%-75%-100%

SWASH MIX:

AILE: +90%
ELEV: –90%
PITCH: +35%

All others in ADJUST LIST are default

SETUP LIST

REVERSE:

THRO: N
AILE: R
ELEV: R
RUDD: R
GYRO: N
PITCH: N

SWASH:

CCPM 120degree

D/R COMBI:

D/R SW: FM

All others in SETUP LIST are default

Do not set the Pitch portion of the swash mix over 35% or you will bind the head. It is a common mistake. This is with stock electronics, motor, and gyro so there are no special changes made to get it to work correctly. You may need to play around a bit with the gyro numbers until you get them where you like the response. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:59 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Hope these help.Don
Not sure how they will help solve his issue of TRIMS working oppisite of the stick.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
You should go into the monitor screen to see what the transmitter is thinking about the servo motion. The trims are on a circuit board. Been along time since I have taken one appart. I think they could be put in backwards with some work, but not likely.
Hi had a look in monitor, right stick goes right, right trim goes left.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
These are the settings I used in my DX6i and they were great because they didn't over-control the collective and were docile enough on Normal settings that I learned to fly with the CP Pro 2. Hope these help.

CP Pro 2

D/R&EXPO:

0:
AILE 0: 70% +25%
ELEV 0: 70% +25%
RUDD 0: 92% +35%

1:
AILE 1: 100% +20%
ELEV 1: 100% +20%
RUDD 1: 100% +30%

TRAVEL ADJ:

RUDD: Left 96% Right 100%
All others set to 100%

SUB TRIM

Throttle is set DOWN 25
The rest are at 0

GYRO:

0: 76.0%
1: 71.0%

THRO CUR:

NORM:
0%-50%-75%-80%-80%
STUNT:
100%-95%-80%-95%-100%
HOLD:
0% across the board

PITC CUR:

NORM:
37%-43%-50%-75%-100%
STUNT:
0%-25%-50%-75%-100%
HOLD:
37%-43%-50%-75%-100%

SWASH MIX:

AILE: +90%
ELEV: 90%
PITCH: +35%

All others in ADJUST LIST are default

SETUP LIST

REVERSE:

THRO: N
AILE: R
ELEV: R
RUDD: R
GYRO: N
PITCH: N

SWASH:

CCPM 120degree

D/R COMBI:

D/R SW: FM

All others in SETUP LIST are default

Do not set the Pitch portion of the swash mix over 35% or you will bind the head. It is a common mistake. This is with stock electronics, motor, and gyro so there are no special changes made to get it to work correctly. You may need to play around a bit with the gyro numbers until you get them where you like the response. Take care.

Don
Hi Don thanks for the settings, putting these in didn`t change the direction of the trims.
Archie
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfamo View Post
Call HH and see what they say, chances are its going to be the generic send it in response but you never know.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Arfamo,

Here's the alternate TX settings, try these. If you still have a problem let us know.

It's a pdf file and you may have to zoom in on it to read it. Set to 75% zoom works good for me.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...alAddendum.pdf
Hi i have tried all the settings all you good people have given me but none of them change the direction of the aileron and elevator trims.
I have a Futaba 9c trani and a r617sf receiver so i connected the receiver to the diagram in the link you gave me, every thing worked trims the right way except the 2 motors didn`t run, have you any ideas why. I`m an IC man, first electric model so at a loss why motors won`t run. Be great if we could get it going on the Futaba.
Thanks Archie
Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfamo View Post
Impossible. I would bet it's all wrong, not just the trim.

You need to do a complete setup. However, probably your issue is you don't have the servo reversing and swash mixing correct. The procedure for that follows:

Servo reversing
1. Go to servo reversing screen.
2. Move your collective stick up and down - identify the servos which move up when you move the stick up - those need to be reversed.
3. Verify that you have the following - moving the stick up moves the swash plate down, and moving the stick down moves the swash plate up. All three servos should always move together - do no proceed to swash mixing until you have that.

Swash mixing
1. Go to swash mixing screen
2. Move the cyclic stick forward. The swash plate should tilt down on the front side. If it does not, then you'll need to negate the sign on the number for "elev" mixing - if it's + change it to - but use the same number for now.
3. Similar with aileron - move the stick to the right - the swash should tilt down on the right side. If not, negate the number for "aile" mixing.
4. That is it - you don't have to adjust the "pitch" mixing because you set that correctly in the servo reversing step.

Do not even bother to proceed until you have those things correct. Your trims should work correctly at that point. You see, the trim works on the input channels to the radio - it is exactly like moving the stick a little bit. In helicopters, the input channels do not map exactly to output channels like they do on planes. So, you need to realize that when you enter trim on the cyclic, it affects the position of possibly 3 servos (output channels). Any time you move the collective stick, or the cyclic stick, all three of those servos move. So you have three input channels affecting three output channels, but they aren't directly mapped like they are with a plane. Point being, unless you know what you're looking at, the servo monitor screen could be very confusing - you need to look at the actual effect on the helicopter - did it tilt the swash left or right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Impossible. I would bet it's all wrong, not just the trim.

You need to do a complete setup. However, probably your issue is you don't have the servo reversing and swash mixing correct. The procedure for that follows:

Servo reversing
1. Go to servo reversing screen.
2. Move your collective stick up and down - identify the servos which move up when you move the stick up - those need to be reversed.
3. Verify that you have the following - moving the stick up moves the swash plate down, and moving the stick down moves the swash plate up. All three servos should always move together - do no proceed to swash mixing until you have that.

Swash mixing
1. Go to swash mixing screen
2. Move the cyclic stick forward. The swash plate should tilt down on the front side. If it does not, then you'll need to negate the sign on the number for "elev" mixing - if it's + change it to - but use the same number for now.
3. Similar with aileron - move the stick to the right - the swash should tilt down on the right side. If not, negate the number for "aile" mixing.
4. That is it - you don't have to adjust the "pitch" mixing because you set that correctly in the servo reversing step.

Do not even bother to proceed until you have those things correct. Your trims should work correctly at that point. You see, the trim works on the input channels to the radio - it is exactly like moving the stick a little bit. In helicopters, the input channels do not map exactly to output channels like they do on planes. So, you need to realize that when you enter trim on the cyclic, it affects the position of possibly 3 servos (output channels). Any time you move the collective stick, or the cyclic stick, all three of those servos move. So you have three input channels affecting three output channels, but they aren't directly mapped like they are with a plane. Point being, unless you know what you're looking at, the servo monitor screen could be very confusing - you need to look at the actual effect on the helicopter - did it tilt the swash left or right?
Done all that all moving as it should model flies great but that doesn`t alter the fact that the elevator and aileron trims move opposit to the sticks. when you look at the monitor you see it doing it, you can`t get away from that