HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2003, 02:57 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Wattage F-22

I'm just about done with my F-22 but I have a question regarding power. I've heard that the stock motor is a bit weak for this plane. So, I was looking at the AFI Micro 010 brushless. Any thoughts on the performance gain & would it be worth the $125?

Thanks,

Mark
Racebelly is offline Find More Posts by Racebelly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2003, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Don't know if the 010 will make a difference or not, most likely.

I've had a F-22 for a couple of years now. Flies great on the stock set up, more power is always better though.

Here's the maiden flight on mine. Just 8 cells and the stock motor and gear box.

http://sneill.com/new%5Fplanes/F-22.rm

At lease you can see how it flies on the stock set up and judge for yourself.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Jun 03, 2003, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2002
110 Posts
I'm building a Raptor also, and I've opted to go brushless. Do a search and you will find that there are several threads on this topic. From what I read, a popular way to go is with a Mega 16/15/x. Some use 5 turn, some 6.

I opted for the 16/15/6 with a Phoenix25 from dynamoelectrics. Received it in the mail yesterday, so haven't much to report yet.
CincyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CincyFlyer
Old Jun 03, 2003, 04:38 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Steve, great maiden. F-22 looks awsome. What paint did you use? I was going to use Tamiya model paints with my airbrush. Do you know if Tamiya thinner will eat the foam?

CincyFlyer, let me know how the Mega works out.

Thanks all for the input,

Mark
Old Jun 03, 2003, 05:31 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
The people I've known that replace the stock motor in the Wattage Hawk with the 010 say it's not any faster but flies longer due to the greater efficiency. Maybe there's a bit more power than a 400 but not much. I don't know if there are different winds of the 010 besides the geared, direct, and fan versions, but the direct drive version seems tame, not a very hot motor.

The Mega 1615 series is a better choice for more power.

I flew my F-22 on a Kontronic Fun 400-28 on 10 cells, 21 amps. The 400-23 would be better, but if I bought another motor for it, I'd buy a Mega, the price is better.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Jun 03, 2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2003, 10:07 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
there is nothing wrong with stock motor. But as all flyers know, some extra power will make your life easier. Good luck.

for $125, I skip the astro 010 (still class 300 motor) and get a mega motor for a few dollars more (class 400 motor)
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:25 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Mega

Thanks for everyones replies. I think I'll stick with the stock motor for now & get the Mega when the time comes.

-Mark
Old Jun 16, 2003, 02:41 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Another Question...

Well I had to put off finishing my F-22 for a week. Anyway, finally finshed it this weekend.

I have one question, the manual suggests wrapping the antena around the inside of the radio gear compartment. Is this a good idea? I've heard that it's always better to let the antena hang outside the fusalage. My only concern is the antena getting cought up in the prop.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. Anyone tried retracts on this plane? I'm not a big fan of hand launching. I much prefer ROG.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 05:31 PM
Manchester England
Joined Aug 2002
31 Posts
Hiya,
it's ok to do what the manual says on this one. The reason that most aeroplanes have the antenna dangling out is that there isn't the room to run it without it crossing back on itself. On the F22, the radio bay is pretty big, and my Webra (Robbe)rx anytenna goes around only overlapping a little at the end, where theres a gap, imagine it going up like a spiral in there..) The trick is not to make the wire overlap back on itself.
As for retracts...dunno, the model does hand launch pretty easily, although there is a little torque roll at first.
You could always try em, the stock undercart is bloody heavy :-)

Stu
Stu _Harvie is offline Find More Posts by Stu _Harvie
Old Jun 16, 2003, 06:00 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Thanks for info Stu.

I guess tomorrow will be her maiden.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 07:55 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Maiden...

Well, last week was her maiden. First toss was a bit of a downer as I don't think I threw it hard enough & she glided for about 20ft. onto the grass(Like I said before, I don't like hand launches). Second attempt I had my friend do the honors. He took a step & gave her a good toss with a little up & viola, away she went. In the immortal words of Tony, this bird is GREAT!!! I was very impressed with the power & response. Vertical was pretty good for a stock motor & the speed was excellent. It was a bit windy but I didn't really notice. Very stable plane & it looks amazing on the flyby's. Overall, I'd have to give this plane an A. This is my new favorite plane.

Enough of my babbling. I have a motor question, again. I know the Mega seems to be the brushless of choice for this plane. But, what about a Jeti Phasor 15/4? The only reason I ask is Hobby People has them for $95 with a speed control. That's about $70 less than the Mega setup.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I will post pics soon.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:43 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Phasor is way too big a motor for that plane. And they are good for sail plane motors but Jeti's are not kevlar wrapped so they won'tr take as much RPM

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000