HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2003, 11:08 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Side thrust and up/down thrust for pushers

Hi all,

I am building a Mirage 3 wood kit, it is for a .46 to .61 pusher engine but the plans do not show the amount of side thrust and down thrust. My question is should the the side thrust be left thrust and down thrust be up thrust and how much of it ? Any help on enlightening me will be greatly appreciated.

Willis
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2003, 09:19 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2003
24 Posts
The effective direction of rotation of the engine is reversed on a pusher, so the side thrust should be in the opposite direction as usual. You can see this by viewing behind the model - standard rotation is clockwise on a normal model. On the pusher, counter-clockwise as you're now looking at the other end of the engine. So left thrust instead of right.

As for up/down thrust, conventional wisdom usually dictates a thrust line running just above the C.G.'s vertical position to stop excessive climbing when power is applied. By the C.G.'s vertical position I mean the height of the CG above the floor of the Fus/Wing. Low wing planes will have a low vertical C.G. position as there's a lot of weight (the wing) low down - and vice versa for high wing planes. Applying this same theory to pushers - the thrust line (carried forward) should be set to just above the C.G. which will normally mean up thrust (in the aircraft sense).
cv990 is offline Find More Posts by cv990