3,259 Posts
Oh c'mon Lee, everybody's doing it. lol
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
I guess the calm outside summer morning and evening weather has come to an end with the transition into the cooler Fall weather. I had a lot of good enjoyable flying this summer season.
Had a couple of little mishaps but no major crashes. The coaxial upgrades and mods presented here and in some other threads have made the flying of this type of helicopter well worth the time effort and cost. I'll always have a couple of them in my hanger.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
I've discovered that the Xtreme tail boom holders are quite brittle and break easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stronger tail boom mount that can be used with a carbon fiber rod?
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend View Post
I've discovered that the Xtreme tail boom holders are quite brittle and break easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for a stronger tail boom mount that can be used with a carbon fiber rod?
Dude, just get the Model 4 Boom. I'm pretty sure I suggested that but, I could be wrong. Mine is a good 4 years old and suffered many a crash, including being run over by a car after dropping out of a tree about 30 feet up. TOUGH??
YUP
http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/39.htm
Take a good look at the "break away" hinge system at the bottom. In a crash, this will break away avoiding further damage, especially to the frame and other parts.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:54 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
The Xtreme boom brackets may not be the toughest, but they're pretty cheap. You really need the no-crash mod, though. Once installed, you won't have to worry about that kind of stuff anymore!
Since I work 4 evenings/week, my flying this season has been very sporadic. I've got 4 heli's, a plane and a quad. I'm lucky if I ran each battery through each flying thing this year. I usually buy myself something to fly at Christmas time, but this year, there isn't anything that pops out at me and says I have to have it.
To show you how much activity has slowed down on the forums, I am subscribed to at least one thread for each thing I fly and the two posts above are all of the new stuff I've gotten since yesterday when I bumped a few threads for inactivity.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,259 Posts
Shoot, I am flying the very same Xtreme boom support I had early last year. The exact same setup that KJ is using. And I have dozens upon dozens of wrecks with mine. Some so bad they have shattered the CF 5mm boom itself and toasted half a dozen upgraded skid sets.

Plus, just yesterday I maidened another new skid setup. I am likin this one. It actually settled my heli down so now I am making full leaning bank passes as if it were a plank! No more blade strikes no matter what I do, and the rear tipover blade strike problem is totally gone! But during these flights I started doing full speed backwards circuits and nailed a few tail in turfs, but now that I learned how to FT out of them that is now over. Had this not been a full 3s brushless mod this new upgrade would never have worked. I thought I would sacrifice some air time but I am still hitting full 10min flights out of my 400plus cycled 900ma cheapo batts. Plus the heli flies even better in the winds.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
i still haven't perfected the brushless coaxial setup. I'm using an 11.1 volt battery on mine with an Esky Big Lama 3 in 1 and Xtreme motors.

Man! This thing has a lot of power!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
i still haven't perfected the brushless coaxial setup. I'm using an 11.1 volt battery on mine with an Esky Big Lama 3 in 1 and Xtreme motors.

Man! This thing has a lot of power!
You're running an 11.1V battery, Esky Big Lama 3 in 1 and XTREME motors?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
OK, Luv, you've got us interested. Show us the new skids and whatever else you've done recently.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
You're running an 11.1V battery, Esky Big Lama 3 in 1 and XTREME motors?
Is this bad? Will I burn up the motors quickly?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:47 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
OK, Luv, you've got us interested. Show us the new skids and whatever else you've done recently.
Yes. I'm curious to see some pictures as well.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
Quote:
I thought you were doing a brushless set up? Xtreme motors are not brushless.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:06 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
to all that I remember from the German forum, the weak link usually was the 3in1. As you are using one that is designed for 3s operation, it should not be much of a problem - burning out the 3in1 is highly unlikely.
also, you are using xtremes. guys in germany tested those extensively and never wrote about the motors failing significantly faster.
Plus, take the Twister Seaking - that one uses the BOL battery as well - and its motors seem no different than the CX2 motors on visual inspection ... so the xtremes should really be fine.
And worst case scenario, you can still exchange the brushes ...

kodak, this is the reason why out of all coaxes in V4 size I have, I love(d) the Twister SeaKing the most - because it comes stock from the factory with a 3in1 that is able to deal with 11.1V ... and that is SOO much more fun stock than a CX2 or V4 ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,885 Posts
If you have a CX-2, it uses Spektrum technology. The Esky 3-in1 has to be linked to a Spektrum- compatible receiver for it to be of any value in my book. I don't know how easy it is to do that. Esky receiver/ transmitter technology is not a strong point.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,354 Posts
Quote:
If you have a CX-2, it uses Spektrum technology. The Esky 3-in1 has to be linked to a Spektrum- compatible receiver for it to be of any value in my book. I don't know how easy it is to do that. Esky receiver/ transmitter technology is not a strong point.
the Esky can be rather easily adapted to work with the DX6i (IF you use a separate receiver as done on the BOL (3in1), then it is a question óf 2min or so ... JD did the adaption of BOL 3in1 to spektrum for the bol - so now it is easy to do for anything else ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread