HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:44 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Thunder's New Groove

I've been working on this model slowly over the past couple weeks. I'm really impressed with the construction and how it's strong yet extremely light weight. The bare frame as pictured only weighs 8.4 ounces. This is a 45" wingspan plane! AUW is estimated at 21 ounces with a Tanic 1550 3s pack and 23 ounces with a Kokam 2000 3s pack. Here's the specs:

Himax 2025 with 5.3 ratio aluminum gearbox
APC 11x7 E prop
CC Phoenix 25 ESC
Tanic 1550 3s Lipo
Berg 5 DSP Rx
GWS Pico + F BB ailerons servos
HS-55 Rudder/Elevator servos

Does anyone who has built this model recommend beefing up any part with carbon fiber before I cover?
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:52 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I made a GWS stick type mount for the Himax 2025 gearbox. It gets inserted into the fuselage and attaches to the back of the stock firewall.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:53 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Nice!
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:57 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I modified the tailwheel setup slightly. It's made from heavier wire and is attached with a piece of tubing glued to the tail wheel bracket.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:49 AM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Nice mods! I'm looking forward to the flight report with the Himax 2025.. are you using the 2025-4200?

As far beefing up anything, you've already beefed up the weakest part by sheeting the top... that's my only complaint about the Groove. The upper part of the fuse was so delicate, the stringers would break under normal handling situations... The wing is very strong. No CF reinforcement needed.

I also thought the tailwheel wire included in the kit looked very thin to support a 23oz plane, but suprisingly the stock tailwheel setup works fine! Steers well and everything.

You will love this plane. But you gotta have the PANTS!!
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:58 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Awesome !

I've had this one ARC for about a month now ...

really easy to frame up ,even for me.

...Man I'm lazy...

Superlight and strong..

I went with AXI 2808 and a Tanic 3s2p 2200

1)How ya liking the li-pos ?

2)Any chance of some Pitts vid and this one when you're done ?!?!?

3) You doing pull-pull elevator ? I see the mount plate for rudder
so I assume you're doing regular linkage there..Oh wait think I see another plate on starboard side...

g'luck~!
the Swamp Fox is offline Find More Posts by the Swamp Fox
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Aug 27, 2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:09 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Looking good! I changed out the stock tail wheel with a 1" wheel . Handled better on our dirt field than the 'tiny' one in the kit... I have the same tiny one on my FB and it just digs a groove in the dirt while taxiing .

As you may know, I lost a wing (broke at the root) in a tight turn a month or two back (my Groove is no more ). Don't know why as I had never crashed it or bumped the wing at all plus I am fairly careful when I build (drives my son nuts ) . I did 5 tight snap rolls before the turn; but who can say if that was the 'problem' or what went wrong. I'd suggest to make sure the spar caps are tightly glued to the main spar would be my only suggestion. Nobody else has had this problem, so it must have been something I did or didn't do......

Enjoy the Groove! Mine was 24oz AUW powered with a AXI 2808/24 and 3S1P irate 2200 and 2600 packs....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Aug 27, 2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:26 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Hey guys,
am I 'sposed to sheet the top halve of the fuse?

Maybe missed that in manual...seems like a good idea anyway
though !
Quote:
As far beefing up anything, you've already beefed up the weakest part by sheeting the top
DOH! Reading helps...Thanks..

..like I'll ever get around to it
Last edited by the Swamp Fox; Aug 27, 2004 at 01:31 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:34 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
SF, Here's a short video of the Pitts M12. It's currently my favorite. There was a lot more flying done the day the video was taken but the model was hard to see in my dad's b/w viewfinder.

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/506/11780Pitts_M12.wmv

Lipo good. NiMH bad;-)

I'm mounting both rudder and elevator servos in the back push-pull wire linkage. Much easier setup and very little slop.

rclark, My spar caps are well attached. I ran an extra bead of medium CA along the forward joint just to be sure.

I'm fretting making the pants. They do look nice but are they really worth the trouble?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:46 AM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
I'm fretting making the pants. They do look nice but are they really worth the trouble?
Sanding the pants into shape goes pretty quick if you use some medium grit sandpaper first... and the way it holds the wheel in without having to glue an end cap or use a collar is nice... to me, the look of the groove is not complete without the wheelpants, but not being a scale bird, I wouldn't get bent out of shape without them.

If you do decide to use them, there is one potential problem -- if you make the back of the pants too sharp, they might puncture the bottom covering of the wing in a hard landing... it's happened before.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:59 AM
Wadmalaw Island ,SC
Joined Dec 2003
2,349 Posts
Thanks Thunder !

Dl vid now

think I'll skip the pull-pull

The pants look pretty .

I reckon if the plane lands slowly ,cool I'll go with 'em.

My strip is rough so...maybe test fly without..

I can add 'em later right ?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 02:31 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Swamp Fox
Hey guys,
am I 'sposed to sheet the top halve of the fuse?
Nope. That is not stock... but is sure looks nice!!!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:52 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybee
Sanding the pants into shape goes pretty quick if you use some medium grit sandpaper first... and the way it holds the wheel in without having to glue an end cap or use a collar is nice... to me, the look of the groove is not complete without the wheelpants, but not being a scale bird, I wouldn't get bent out of shape without them.

If you do decide to use them, there is one potential problem -- if you make the back of the pants too sharp, they might puncture the bottom covering of the wing in a hard landing... it's happened before.
Man, that must have been one hard landing. The wire in the Groove is really stout. I could see ripping the gear block out before the gear wire got bent all the way to the wing.

I don't frear shaping the pants, I fear having to cover them. Maybe I'll just paint them.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:57 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Nope. That is not stock... but is sure looks nice!!!

Scott
Thanks. It added so little weight, I wonder why it wasn't sheeted to begin with. The stringers were so fragile, they should have been made out of bassswood at the very least. And the fuselage cross braces are really weak as well. I think I've broken every one at least twice. The extra weight of basswood would go unoticed in a model this size.

I'm contemplating running carbon fiber along the back of the cross braces. I can just seem someone grabbing the back of the fuselage and going right through the covering.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:04 AM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Man, that must have been one hard landing. The wire in the Groove is really stout. I could see ripping the gear block out before the gear wire got bent all the way to the wing.

I don't frear shaping the pants, I fear having to cover them. Maybe I'll just paint them.
I just painted mine... didn't look out of place, as it is not adjacent to any covered part. I've had a couple of semi-rough landings, they didn't look all that bad but sure enough the wheel pants hit the wing.. it may be more a wheel binding issue.