HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:40 AM
Deer Park, Tx (East side of Houston)
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Question
Fuel filter for 1st gasser?

I have been doing a lot of googling on the subject and in the end I am more confused that ever...

In my past glow planes I always filter, filtered when fueling the tank and another 'crap trap" type screen filter in-line just before carburetor.

Now I am building a gasser, all my 2 cycle lawn equipment lets me know the gas we buy today is not what it was years ago...

So I figure I need a gas compatible in-line filter just before the carburetor.

1. I find paper types which I think are an adaptation from automotive and seem rather large...but they have a replaceable filter cartridge that is readily available.

2. I see something called "sintered" and know nothing about them.

3. And I see screen types which looks to be very similar to what I used back in my glow fuel days but perhaps have a finer mesh screen.

I sure would appreciate guidance. I rather not rebuild the carb on my DLE35 as often as I do my two cycle lawn equipment.
DanWard is offline Find More Posts by DanWard
Last edited by DanWard; Sep 28, 2014 at 02:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,310 Posts
For my helicopters I often run no onboard filter, and filter it while pumping it in. Less possible air leak locations, that way. My airplanes, I just pick up a gasoline compatible filter at the hobby shop. Usually they have the screen type.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:47 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,071 Posts
Go where they sell chainsaws and weed eaters and get a Walbro felt filter. I have used all the different filters and this is the best so far. Use one in the fuel jug and one in the tank and you don't have to worry about trash in the carb.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Sep 29, 2014, 08:25 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,214 Posts
I use a small weed wacker type filter out of the can. I use a crap trap filter just fwd of the t for the refuel line.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:11 PM
Deer Park, Tx (East side of Houston)
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
I have been out of town working, sorry for my delay in saying thanks to all. I got it!

Fortitude take appears to have a felt filter and if I filter when filling I should have my bases covered.

Thanks again!!!
DanWard is offline Find More Posts by DanWard
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Dan, I recommend using a filter on your gas can and one in the airplane. The reason for one on the airplane is that as the fuel tank gets depleted, the vent line pulls in unfiltered air. When on the ground and running that air is usually full of junk. The type I use is the lawn and garden type. The inlet and outlet is usually 1/4" but I have found that be warming the Tygon fuel line with a heat gun you can get the 5/32 size fuel line on the filter. A side benifit of this type of filter is that it holds a fair amount of fuel that will help from going lean in a down line. I also use a felt clunk in the tank. IMO you just can't filter enough.
exf3bguy is online now Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Oct 01, 2014, 11:09 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
915 Posts
you can get one of these to go into your tank
Fuel Filter Sears Craftsman Poulan Weedeater
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:50 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
938 Posts
When was the last time you changed a filter on any of your engines. I haven't. I filter out of the gas jug only and never had any issue in many years and many gallons of fuel.

Can't ever see anything getting into your tank thru the vent line. The amount of air that displaces the fuel is miniscule. Besides every time you fill to full you flush out anything in the line.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:54 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,441 Posts
the reason for the felt filter clunk is to keep air bubbles from getting into the fuel line when everything is sloshing around. it's like having a little hopper tank inside the main tank.

it also allows you to use up every last drop of fuel in the tank.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:22 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,257 Posts
I use one of these in each of my gas line setups.

This is in addition to a filter in my gas can and the felt clunk pickup in the tank. A little extra insurance to keep the carb clean.

It goes in the fuel supply line between the tee and the carb.

grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Oct 03, 2014, 02:12 PM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,071 Posts
If you are using a Walbro felt filter inside your tank you don't need to filter again between the tank and the carb. You can if you want to, but it is not necessary.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecam View Post
When was the last time you changed a filter on any of your engines. I haven't. I filter out of the gas jug only and never had any issue in many years and many gallons of fuel.

Can't ever see anything getting into your tank thru the vent line. The amount of air that displaces the fuel is miniscule. Besides every time you fill to full you flush out anything in the line.

I change my filters and lines every 6 months or so. I don't wait until I have issues. Just how much debris does it take to clog up a fuel passage or cause the metering needle to get stuck in the open postion?
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
If you are using a Walbro felt filter inside your tank you don't need to filter again between the tank and the carb. You can if you want to, but it is not necessary.
Take a look at his diagram again, he is filling on the wrong side of his clunk filter. With his installation the clunk filter is going to help with air bubbles in the line and nothing more. The inline filter is in the correct location. I have always run a filter just before the carb and have had zero issues doing so. No harm no foul.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 12:42 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
I change my filters and lines every 6 months or so. I don't wait until I have issues. Just how much debris does it take to clog up a fuel passage or cause the metering needle to get stuck in the open postion?
I guess if you have only one plane and nothing to do.

I have 15 planes and changing filters and lines on 30 planes a year sounds ridicules.
When was the last time you heard of anybody on the forums with a stuck open metering valve, it doesn't happen.
The odd time someone has a clogged screen on their gasser and that's it, and then it's only the high end that is usually effected.
Once in a while if i have the cowl off one of mine I check the screen and have never found anything.
I've run chainsaws, weed whackers, leaf blowers, ice augers for 30 years and never had a plugged filter.
With all the fuel we all put thru our cars how come we don't have to change the filter every month.

Sorry but I'll just continue to filter out of my gas jug and check the screen on the engine every couple of years.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Oct 05, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
Mike, as long as what you are doing works then by all means stick with it. Being that I only have the one gasser it gets flown a lot. I would have to honestly say that 50 gallons of gas per year is not uncommon. The odds that my fuel system would collect some debris is much higher then someone who splits his flying time between 15 airplanes, especially when my location allows me to fly all year. As far as metering needles getting stuck, I have seen it happen many times. All have the commonality of not having an on board filter.

One example was of not changing the filter in your car for years. You are aware that most modern fuel injected cars have 3 filters? One at the in tank pump, one under the car, some have a boost pump at that location too and then one at the fuel regulator up by the engine. The one that gets replaced most often is the one under the car but it is usually very large and holds a lot of dirt. Notice the pump hoses, they have filters correct? Does that mean you are safe to bypass the filters in your car?

I'm going to assume that different regions and different countries may have different levels of quality in their gasoline. Here in the US we are all about getting the cheapest gas we can. That may affect the cleanliness of the gas we get. Speculation of course but sounds reasonable as I have had to change out clogged fuel filters on several cars I have owned.