SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
83 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x failsafe; fail only, not safe

Hello everyone.

I am using the Turnigy 9x 9ch Mode 1 TX and this board from drotek: http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/72-mult...1-hmc5883.html with multiwii 2.1 software.

Now, I want to configure failsafe. If I switch the TX off during flight now, it will force the throttle to 100% and shoot my quad up, instead of gently bringing it down. From config.h:
Code:
#define FAILSAFE 
#define FAILSAVE_DELAY     10                    
#define FAILSAVE_OFF_DELAY 200
#define FAILSAVE_THROTTLE  (MINTHROTTLE + 80)
On the TX I have gone into "function settings -> Fail safe" and set throttle to "F/S 017%".

I have read that the 9x's failsafe is not working, is this true? Is there any way I can get it working? Any way I can disable it altogether and use the multiwii failsafe?
Marvos is offline Find More Posts by Marvos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2012
34 Posts
Works fine for me with the V2 software.
RCMagician is offline Find More Posts by RCMagician
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
83 Posts
What steps did you take to get there? From unboxing the TX onward?
Marvos is offline Find More Posts by Marvos
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
68 Posts
The only way I know how to make the 9X support failsafe is with the FrSky Tx/Rx modules. Supposedly there are some receiver versions for the 9x that do a proper failsafe. However I have never seen one.

This is what I ordered and put in my Turnigy 9X. Works great:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14349

Adding the FrSky module is only a matter of plugging it in. Preserving the 9x module is another story as the antenna cable can't be unplugged.

I essentially did the same procedure as posted in the link below. The only tricky part was to reconnect the miniature coax antenna cable of the 9x module. Have not done any range tests, but so far it looks like it survived the operation.

http://azureengineering.blogspot.com...odule-mod.html
oesti is offline Find More Posts by oesti
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I am having a problem with a Turnigy 9xBC version 2 that when the transmitter is turned of and the RX is on, it still output a signal on Channels 4 and 5. I need for all the channels turn off when there is no signal present from the transmitter. I have gone into the transmitter setup and tried to disable any failsafe setting there but the RX still outputs a signal on channels 4 and 5 regardless. 1400-1500 Channel 4 and 1000-1024 Channel 5.

any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
Stock Turnigy 9X does not support fail safe.
DashieBrad is offline Find More Posts by DashieBrad
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
This I truly and most assuredly understand but why does this RX still output a signal on channels 4 and 5 when there is no transmitter signal Present? My other RXs (Not a Turnigy 9X) all goes dead when signal is lost.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
One of the many questions of life.

I have no idea. That's just how they are made.
DashieBrad is offline Find More Posts by DashieBrad
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
LOL, Ok thank you just the same.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,081 Posts
The weird fail-safe throttle behavior on the 9x has caused problems for many copter controllers. And ignited a long and heated discussion about fail-safe on the ArduPilot Mega forums.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The weird fail-safe throttle behavior on the 9x has caused problems for many copter controllers. And ignited a long and heated discussion about fail-safe on the ArduPilot Mega forums.
Thank you for this insight.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:22 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
578 Posts
Maybe this will helps

Quadrocopter Multiwii 2.2 failsafe Turnigy 9x (1 min 26 sec)
jan michael is offline Find More Posts by jan michael
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:24 AM
United Kingdom, Belper
Joined Jan 2011
565 Posts
Here is how I got the apm failsafe working with my 9x / er9x

I got a ú3 nitro type micro failsafe, put that on throttle ch3. Set up my throttle cut safety switch to ch3 -125, this outputs ppm 975. I then set the ch3 throttle low endpoint to -97 which gives a ppm of 985 at bottom stick, recalibrated radio so still arms fine with this and motors are off. Flick the throttle cut switch and set the micro failsafe with the little button. Then set the apm failsafe to RTL ppm 980. Done.

Now if I turn off my 9x the micro failsafe detects no signal and outputs 975 to the apm which goes into failsafe mode.
edk83 is offline Find More Posts by edk83
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:16 AM
Germany, SH, Bad Segeberg
Joined Oct 2013
147 Posts
edk83:
I cannot express how thankful i am for your idea !
I was about to order frsky and stuff when i read your post.
I remembered that i have an old HiTec Failsafe in my (FAILED) gas driven boat...

I has an analog output leve÷ selection so i did NOT have to fiddle with my Tx...
However at first it failed as APM / Missionplanner ignored failsafe values FAR below your calibrated throttle values, i estimate you have to be within 100 of the calibrated range.
My throttle low value is 1070, so i set the Failsafe to 1000 and the trigger value to 1035.
WORKS GREAT !!!!!!

Thank you (and a happy new year).

Ender
enderffx is offline Find More Posts by enderffx
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2014
19 Posts
i have a magical question.......when you setup a failsafe on the 9x........what the heck does it do? how can the rx possibly output a signal when there is no power at the tx? must be magic i say
nckrwlmn is offline Find More Posts by nckrwlmn