HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Question
A Wet Tuned Pipe for a gas boat?

Hi!

I have made a water injection system on the exhaust manifolder of my Pro Boat Thudercat 31 to reduce the noise, sicne I don't like hearing complaints from people. It looks like this. Here is the link. http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/ezex2000.htm

And the water injection system reduced the noise quite bit. But I think when shutting dpwn the engine, I often get water in the engine.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea or not to make a water injection system on my Pro Boat Shock Wave 55 SS.

Q#1. Is the exhaust pressure strong enough to keep the water out of the engine?

Q#2. When running on rough water, doesn't moving up and down on the waves cause water's coming into the engine, shutting it down in the middle of lake?

Q#3. Doesn't it reduce the speed, while reducing the noise?

Q#4. If water comes into the engine, what is the best way to remove water from the engine?

If anyone can share experience and wisdom, it will be greatly appreciated! Also please let me know having a water injection system is a better idea or not.

Thank you very much for your attention!
savage0102 is offline Find More Posts by savage0102
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage0102 View Post
Hi!

I have made a water injection system on the exhaust manifolder of my Pro Boat Thudercat 31 to reduce the noise, sicne I don't like hearing complaints from people. It looks like this. Here is the link. http://www.whhonline.com/product-p/ezex2000.htm

And the water injection system reduced the noise quite bit. But I think when shutting dpwn the engine, I often get water in the engine.

I am wondering whether it is a good idea or not to make a water injection system on my Pro Boat Shock Wave 55 SS.

Q#1. Is the exhaust pressure strong enough to keep the water out of the engine?

Q#2. When running on rough water, doesn't moving up and down on the waves cause water's coming into the engine, shutting it down in the middle of lake?

Q#3. Doesn't it reduce the speed, while reducing the noise?

Q#4. If water comes into the engine, what is the best way to remove water from the engine?

If anyone can share experience and wisdom, it will be greatly appreciated! Also please let me know having a water injection system is a better idea or not.

Thank you very much for your attention!
1: why not just run a muffler ? 2: running a wet pipe should be only cooling the exh down and sometimes water will get sucked back in the engine .3: if you do get water in the engine and you will from blow overs etc just pull spark plug out turn boat up side down and pull the starter rope till you see no water. This happens to me all the time as almost all gas boats will get Blown over or flip and water is injected 4: water sometimes will splash in the carb and could shut it down but that mostly in ruff race water in witch case you can run a clam shell cover over the carb or make a small cover over the top of carb that attaches kinda like a mini cowl for only that side of the engine . Or run the hatch but make sure you have plenty of fresh air coming in and just as important plenty vents for hot air coming out!!! If it were me I'd but the new zipp kits pipe as its very quiet and you'll have a lot more power !!!! Way better than a wet system . We has guys ( racers and saw) never use wet systems anymore ! I'd highly recommend the zipp kits pipe and loose the wet system . All I have are gas boats and I run quick draw style hit pipe as they make the most power and the M&D pipe make great power . But again all I run is saw . With that said if I had a sport boat and wanted to really add some power and wanted a quiet pipe I'd order the zipp pipe. Also many of the racers have switched to the new zipp pipe so it's getting the job done !! Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346533917.284896.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 128.9 KB
Description: this is a zipp pipe with a muffler and it's super fast and very quiet .
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Last edited by Gavinxman; Sep 01, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Takes some pic of your boats with hatches/cowls on and off . If I can see your exh I can help you more or at least get an idea of what you might need. .
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, there!

Thank you very much for your inputs!

In fact, I have torn aprart the boat to install a water injection system, so that I cannot take pictures at this moment. But this link will show you some pictures. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rt-rtr-PRB2650

"why not just run a muffler ?To answer this, incfact, I have installed a Proboat muffler. Here is the link. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-gas-PRB0110

But it does not reduce the noise. I think it is a kind of garbage.

How much does a Zipp tuned pipe reduce the noise and increase the power?

Once again, thank you very much for your answers!
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
331 Posts
hey i have a vbox from zippkits and since im not racing and only use it for fun. i run a wet pipe and its great quiet and it looks very scale. i dont have a problem with water in the engine because i have a valve to turn the water exit on and off so when i go to shut the engine off i just flip the valve and its fine. i just tapped into the header
EJ1208 is online now Find More Posts by EJ1208
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, EJ 1208!

Thank you for your input! I have never heard about the valve that you mentioned. Could you tell me more about the valve and if possible, could you put a link where I can see it and get the information about it, please? Thank you again!
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
331 Posts
well really its pretty simple , since u have a pump for the water at idle, i went to my local hardware store and picked up a small little valve with 2 nipples on it so it will fit the hose i use. its not a special valve , just like a brass valve that u use in your house like under the sink but smaller
EJ1208 is online now Find More Posts by EJ1208
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage0102 View Post
Hi, there!

Thank you very much for your inputs!

In fact, I have torn aprart the boat to install a water injection system, so that I cannot take pictures at this moment. But this link will show you some pictures. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rt-rtr-PRB2650

"why not just run a muffler ?

To answer this, incfact, I have installed a Proboat muffler. Here is the link. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-gas-PRB0110

But it does not reduce the noise. I think it is a kind of garbage.

How much does a Zipp tuned pipe reduce the noise and increase the power?

Once again, thank you very much for your answers!
Read this like very good . It's says no chance of water interning your exh killing your performance !!!! Trust me dry is the way to go !!!it will take a stock ZENOAH 260pum that's 3hp and Give it 4.5 just with the pipe . 2 stroke engines come alive with a good pipe , and this is the pipe I'd recommend for 80% of the gas boats out here right now. http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=211
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, there!

Thank you very much for your input! Later on, I am going to order the zipp pipe, since it seems that it will be a better choice than making a wet tuned pipe in many ways.

Thank you very much again!