HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:36 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,008 Posts
I had not flown my Waco in several months.....back in rotation today in 10-13mph winds.....I forgot how cool this plane is....big presence in the sky.....easy to fly and land in heavy winds (Zippy Compact 4s 25c 2700mAh) shoved all the way to the firewall......never should have waited this long to get it back into rotation!!!!

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:55 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
487 Posts
I really hope these will become available in the near future....gettin' impatient as no one has them. Hope MotionRC carries them.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:01 PM
teaching to learn
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
I really hope these will become available in the near future....gettin' impatient as no one has them. Hope MotionRC carries them.

Denny
Motion should have them in stock in a few weeks. They're good about coming through on their word.
millerr74 is online now Find More Posts by millerr74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my birds
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:30 AM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Mar 2014
140 Posts
York your patience will pay off. Its a wonderful plane. Twisted I second your post. I too have too many planes to tinker with but the Waco always makes me smile when I fly her. Unfortunately seems to be less and less now.
DeLaReef123 is online now Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:14 PM
United States, MN, Grand Rapids
Joined Apr 2013
13 Posts
took my plane out the other day after taxiing out the motor was stuttering and jerking, sounded like a gear box slipping. It only did it at throttle start , after rpm build up stopped doing it. Anyone else have similar problems? I have about five flights on it so far, is the motor taking a dive. or is the esc fried already, don't want to fly again until fixed ! Doesn't seem like magnets are loose spins nice and tight no endplay.
Land O Lakes is offline Find More Posts by Land O Lakes
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:39 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
took my plane out the other day after taxiing out the motor was stuttering and jerking, sounded like a gear box slipping. It only did it at throttle start , after rpm build up stopped doing it. Anyone else have similar problems? I have about five flights on it so far, is the motor taking a dive. or is the esc fried already, don't want to fly again until fixed ! Doesn't seem like magnets are loose spins nice and tight no endplay.
there's nothing actually wrong with your motor lando dynam esc's are funny like that. if you've set the throttle range at start up it sometimes will not stutter anymore. if you reprogram the esc to take off soft start it sometimes won't stutter anymore. if you do nothing at all it sometimes won't stutter. that little extra 3 inch lead connected to the throttle wire was a failed attempt by dynam to correct the issue. it does nothing. leave it on or take it off it doesn't matter.

to program your throttle range REMOVE PROPELLER then turn on tx, push throttle stick all the way forward, plug battery into plane, it should beep twice, immediately bring stick back to normal position, you will then hear the beeps for armed. unplug battery, turn off tx. turn on tx like normal and plug in battery. that should set the esc to recognize your throttle range and that may stop the stutter. if it doesn't, the stutter is not a problem at all as once you go past 10% throttle it's smooth right? also with prop off it probably won't stutter, but once you put the prop back on it will start up again. soft start is lame on a plane. you can refer to page 12 in your manual to figure out the flow chart of esc programming. it's not too difficult, but it can be a bit confusing at first.

a thousand of us have the same issue with dynam esc's. some have bought a program card, i have not. some have replaced esc (no need there's nothing actually wrong). my waco does that, my peaks used to do that, my tiger moth does not do that, my gee bee did that until i got a bigger esc to run 4s power and now it does not.

to be 100% sure that what i'm talking about is accurate just check if all 4 of your motor mount screws are in place. if one came loose and is stuck to the motor it'll make a god awful sound. if all 4 are there refer back to my original diagnosis.

sounds wierd, i know, it's like there's something rattling around or almost grinding but there's not. do you trust me???? i would.

m74
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by millerr74; Oct 19, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:02 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
Had the same problem with my dynam beaver. Reprogram your esc for low timing and the problem should go away. For some reason dynam sets their esc to high timing.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:09 PM
Joined Mar 2014
140 Posts
Second that and Miller's guidance is perfect. Nothing really wrong but annoying none the same. 2 other guys at my field ran into the same issue. You could reprogram the esc or replace it but honestly once you are out of low throttle the issue is gone. I flew it like that for months then decided to reprogram the esc with my transmitter. The issue went away but now the brake is on and I cannot program it off! But ya know what the Waco doesn't mind one bit. However if anyone knows how to turn the brake off I am all ears.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:17 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Reef123,

If you don't have the manual anymore it's available in pdf online. I believe it's on page 12. I'll look at it tomorrow for you and spell it out for you if you don't want to search for it. It's definitely one of the seven options of beeps. Get back to me if you would like me to do so.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
Reef I found it.

REMOVE PROPELLER!
1) turn on tx and go full throttle
2) plug in battery
3) you'll hear beep beep
4) wait 5 seconds and you'll hear a little jingle of tones indicating your in program mode.
there's 8 options in this mode, the first is break.
5) When you hear the first single beep move throttle back all the way down
6) when it beeps just once move the throttle back up (you have selected brake off)
7) you should hear the jingle tones now and move stick back down immediately to exit program mode.

Voila!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
140 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the link miller. I've done this a few times but you have inspired me to give it another shot!
I'll work on good 'ol Drunk Monkey tonight and I'll report if the problem is fixed.

By the way, not sure if this has happened to anyone, but one of our members recently crashed his Wako. He had throttled up too fast and had too much elevator applied on take of so it went right into a loop. 3 inches higher and he would have cleared the run way exiting the loop. Ended up cracking the bottom wing and busting the cowl. In any event, he was all done fixing her up and plugged everything together. Servos were working and control surfaces were fine. So he decided to run the motor (keep in mind the prop was off) he said it made the ruff start up sound then while throttling up the ESC caught on fire !?

My assessment is the crash caused wires in the ESC to become exposed or something (he never checked out the esc when repairing it)

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:02 PM
teaching to learn
Joined Oct 2013
2,689 Posts
No problem. Those beep sequences are a real mind bender and the flow chart is confusing at first glance...and second glance...and third....

Your buddy's flaming esc was most likely a result of him having throttle on during the prop strike. You know that awful R2D2 beedlebloop sound that squeals when you bury a prop in the dirt when throttle is still on? Well, when that happens for some reason it taxes the esc beyond its limits sometimes. I've had the pleasure of a few prop strikes in tall grass on my p47. I nosed over three or four times in succession, then on taxi just burst into flames. That's evidently not terribly uncommon.

That's my best guess my friend.

M74
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:04 PM
15hrs build, 15secs crash
United States, CA, Contra Costa County
Joined Aug 2014
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaReef123 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the link miller. I've done this a few times but you have inspired me to give it another shot!
I'll work on good 'ol Drunk Monkey tonight and I'll report if the problem is fixed.

By the way, not sure if this has happened to anyone, but one of our members recently crashed his Wako. He had throttled up too fast and had too much elevator applied on take of so it went right into a loop. 3 inches higher and he would have cleared the run way exiting the loop. Ended up cracking the bottom wing and busting the cowl. In any event, he was all done fixing her up and plugged everything together. Servos were working and control surfaces were fine. So he decided to run the motor (keep in mind the prop was off) he said it made the ruff start up sound then while throttling up the ESC caught on fire !?

My assessment is the crash caused wires in the ESC to become exposed or something (he never checked out the esc when repairing it)

Any thoughts?
Have him check the motor mount. Sounds like it might be coming loose if the noise just started after he crash.
2broke4fullscale is online now Find More Posts by 2broke4fullscale