SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
The SSS Technical Info/FAQs page has been updated with links to various posts where people have described problems, solutions, etc. Also a scanned PDF copy of the Super Sky Surfer User's Manual, including data for the stock motor and ESC.

See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340

Anybody else have anything they'd like to contribute, questions they'd like to ask, etc.?
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Here are some pictuers of the way I made a removable tail, and how I overcame the too short replacement .047 music wire to replace the small stock wire.
S511 36
(91,4 cm) 2 2-56 Rigid

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Sull...et_Catalog.pdf

these are the ones i got, with the connector on both ends they fit great
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,323 Posts
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a79-sky...d-rtf-24g.html looks good and you can get 10% off with NPEC10 code.. I may need this so the SSS don't feel like a lone child
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The SSS Technical Info/FAQs page has been updated with links to various posts where people have described problems, solutions, etc. Also a scanned PDF copy of the Super Sky Surfer User's Manual, including data for the stock motor and ESC.

See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340

Anybody else have anything they'd like to contribute, questions they'd like to ask, etc.?
I clicked the link but did not get a FAQ/info page. Is there a particular post that your are referring to?
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2010
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude View Post
Yes they were using the 3 blade but I have now switched back to the original 2 blade, there doesn't seem to be much difference in thrust but the 3 blade uses too much battery

In dead calm (virtually no wind) at dusk so not much light with the original 2 blade prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wUnrM32zE

Plenty of power for climbs and loops and will maintain altitude at 1/4 throttle even with zero wind, that's great news and demonstrates that the plane really isn't under powered though it might become under powered or rather over weight if people add too much battery weight, in mine I have 1 x 5000mah and that's probably all it'll need, if I decide I want more my first choice will be to swap the 5000 for 2 x 3000 Nanotechs

Just do all you can to float around without using power and in a wind it'll stay in the air for ages
What flight times are you getting with this setup, assuming mostly 1/4 throttle cruise?
cliffkot is online now Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:28 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Good grief people. Unsubscribed!!!!!
Thin skin.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:43 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
The SSS is a fantastic airframe and may have a few shortcomings out of the box but susceptibility to mid-air collisions does not appear to be one of them. The video below was filmed with a GoPro attached to a Multiplex EasyStar 2. The SSS is being flown by a buddy. We tried to get some formation flying in but without an FPV setup, it's a tad difficult when the SSS flies so slow and the ES needs to keep up speed due to the camera weight. Skip to 2:00 mark for the real fun.

FlyingGolem Easy Star 2 and Super Sky Surfer play tag in the air (4 min 58 sec)

Nary a scratch on the SSS or ES that day. However, her next flying day would not end so well. She was set up with 2 5000mAh packs for an endurance run while carrying a Drift HD camera. Because the flight was lasting so long, we were switching out pilots to prevent thumb fatigue. The last pilot at the controls did not heed the warning about keeping her speed up and she stalled and winged over into the dirt. The impact ripped the entire nose off the plane. Luckily, the camera survived with only a broken outer lens. I don't have the video processed and posted yet but we were at the 22 minute mark and the batteries still had plenty of juice. The fuselage damage is repaired but during bench testing it surfaced that the motor mount was damaged as well when the motor ripped off the mount.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:07 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Hi AJ. If you normally use the lowest Kv motor that is reasonable, I am wondering why you would be going to a 1450 kv motor when the original motor is 1250 Kv (if reports I have seen earlier are correct). I'm sure you have a good reason, just wondering what it is.

I notice that, in the Info and Facts post #829, it is stated that the stock motor (not absolutely positive of that it seems) with a 9x6 prop is running 470 watts on 3S. The HK page for the replacement for the motor you will use says it will be running about 432 watts with the same prop and battery. That seems odd to me. I would have expected that 1450Kv motor to run a higher wattage than the 1250Kv with the same prop and battery. But if it is correct, why go to a lower power?

Gord
I am using a 4S. Also, the stock motor only produces 331W on a brand new LiPo. Just because you read their printed numbers does not make them true.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
I clicked the link but did not get a FAQ/info page. Is there a particular post that your are referring to?
The page title is misleading. There are no FAQs.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I've been hoping to transition from quad-fpv to something a little less nerve-wracking with a Bixler, but alas.. they're always out of stock. So.. on to (much)bigger and better planes.

Just bit the bullet on a SSS, and a 5500 3s. Seems like the batteries BH stocks are a little long for the slot.. since I'd have to cut a slot in the bulkhead anyway.. might as well go even bigger!

I'll hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow at their shop(after what will probably be a couple of hours in traffic.. THANKS LA). Anyway.. I have an fpv system all ready for it, and I figure i'll just strap a flip cam to one of those ginormous wings somewhere.

If it survives the weekend, and doesn't end up in the surf somewhere.. I should have some nice vid for you guys on Monday. Wish me luck
shutterspeed is offline Find More Posts by shutterspeed
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:52 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon
Good grief people. Unsubscribed!!!!!
Thin skin.
AJ
Why do we need thick skins, just to discuss model airplanes?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterspeed View Post
I've been hoping to transition from quad-fpv to something a little less nerve-wracking with a Bixler, but alas.. they're always out of stock. So.. on to (much)bigger and better planes.

Just bit the bullet on a SSS, and a 5500 3s. Seems like the batteries BH stocks are a little long for the slot.. since I'd have to cut a slot in the bulkhead anyway.. might as well go even bigger!
I just swapped out the motor and ESC on mine, and am now looking to put two 2s 5000mAh GensAce LiPos in series, into the nose of my SSS. The two 3s 2200mAh's I had in there, barely fit (and the plane was still tailheavy), I'm sure I'll have to do some carving to get the bigguns in.

Have you checked out www.hobbypartz.com for LiPos? I like their quality and their prices, and they have a great variety (alas some out of stock at times). And if you order $50 or more, shipping is free.

Quote:
I'll hopefully be able to pick it up tomorrow at their shop(after what will probably be a couple of hours in traffic.. THANKS LA).
You're welcome.
I got lucky when I did that, two hours flat from San Diego to Irwindale, ZERO traffic jams, don't ask me why.

BTW, after you turn from Irwindale Rd. onto Tapia St., go to the third driveway on your right. BH's building is right there on the corner. (Google Maps marks it wrong.) No sign, but the address number is above the door... and behind a tree.

And when you pick it up, check to see if there are four bolts for each control horn (if you get an ARF). Every control horn in mine, was packaged with only three bolts. Not a big deal, but as long as you are there....

My ARF also came with the decals not applied, which is actually how I prefer it. I think the pure-white plane is gorgeous. Decals were on their separate sheet, in the box. If you want, maybe ask them if they have another like that.

Quote:
Anyway.. I have an fpv system all ready for it, and I figure i'll just strap a flip cam to one of those ginormous wings somewhere.
I'm planning to mount a #16 keychain cam on two servos (the one for panning is a 180-degree servo from HobbyKing), with the camera poking up inside that big canopy. Might even hinge the canopy. I believe it'll fit... but you never know till you try.

Quote:
If it survives the weekend, and doesn't end up in the surf somewhere.. I should have some nice vid for you guys on Monday. Wish me luck
Kewel. Break a leg!
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:27 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
What motor did you go with? Didn't know if its still the car motor..
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I just swapped out the motor and ESC on mine, and am now looking to put two 2s 5000mAh GensAce LiPos in series, into the nose of my SSS.
Here are a couple of other options. The Nanotechs are great batteries, and these are in stock in the US warehouse near Seattle.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20551

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20737
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I notice that, in the Info and Facts post #829, it is stated that the stock motor (not absolutely positive of that it seems) with a 9x6 prop is running 470 watts on 3S.
That's the number reported by Blaser for his plane. I hooked a WattMeter to my plane last night before swapping out the stock motor, and found it drawing 19.5A at 11.5V with a (non-stock) Turnigy 2200mAh 25C 3s battery and the stock (mis-formed) propeller. Volts times Amps =224 Watts. With an APC 9x4.5E propeller, it drew 23.2A, also at 11.5V, V*A=267W.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.