SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:25 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfc3dcd View Post
For every unregulated AP operator that would compromise public safety in pursuit of greater profit, there is another who would never consider doing the same due to having every spare moment and dollar invested in the business. Most people I respect feel only very light regulations are warranted for commercial AP work and I agree.
There is nothing about your post that I disagree with. Unfortunately air crash history is full of cases where a company who wanted to make a little more money ended up killing their employees and their customers. Companies have the best intentions and have posters on the wall that say "We are committed to doing everything for the health and safety of our customers and employees".

Then there comes a day when the profit margin starts to look a little thin, and a decision has to be made. The decision is whether or not to fly with a plane that is known to have problems and the new parts are not going to be in until next week and we need to make this flight, and there is only a .5% chance of killing anybody, and the only other option is to go bankrupt. Which of these choices is the one you would choose?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
173 Posts
I am probably not a good example. When you have invested thousands of hours into obtaining cinema quality video, the last thing you would ever do is fly the rig with a known problem, not even with a gun to my head.
xfc3dcd is offline Find More Posts by xfc3dcd
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
I am probably not a good example. When you have invested thousands of hours into obtaining cinema quality video, the last thing you would ever do is fly the rig with a known problem, not even with a gun to my head.
thats you
and most airlines wouldnt ether but some have
the NTSB logs are filled with reports where the cause was from poor / lack of maintenance or just cutting corners to save a buck
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
I am probably not a good example.
You are a good example. If everybody had your desire for quality, the world would be a safer place. Unfortunately, the western world is full of people who are willing to hire accountants and statisticians to calculate the most optimum cost/death ratio. Of course they also are hiring lawyers to defend their decisions in case something goes wrong.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:23 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,887 Posts
xfc

good point. if you craft isn't in top notch shape you may loose your investment.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
173 Posts
That plus you can get overly attached to your rigs....even giving them names. My fleet goes by -

Arnold
Travis
Ivan
Franco
Brutus
DJ
xfc3dcd is offline Find More Posts by xfc3dcd
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
xfc

good point. if you craft isn't in top notch shape you may loose your investment.
This is the view of a hard-core investor, with no thought given to the health and safety of the passengers, employees, innocent bystanders, or the environment.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Then there comes a day when the profit margin starts to look a little thin, and a decision has to be made. The decision is whether or not to fly with a plane that is known to have problems and the new parts are not going to be in until next week and we need to make this flight, and there is only a .5% chance of killing anybody, and the only other option is to go bankrupt. Which of these choices is the one you would choose?
We all know, really, that most would take the chance, although of course most (or none!) would admit to it.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
I believe most smart and well beings would not fly a fart machine
I would never fly something that I know could crash because of a faulty part...
that's not only dumb but flat out stupid to risk your flying machine!!
I've never done it and never will....
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Speaking of safety, maybe Boeing needs to hire some RC guys to explain to them about Lithium batteries...

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
lol
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,073 Posts
Yes Boeing should realize that we RC'ers have put the lithium batteries to the ultimate test, including impacts and extreme temperatures. For those who haven't seen it, here is Westjet's idea to use helium to make their 737's lighter. Enjoy.

April Fools - WestJet introduces state-of-the-art money-saving feature (1 min 27 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
it would make it slightly lighter XD yes i know its a joke
hmm wonder it would save some weight filling the tires with He over compressed air or N
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Heres a link to a FOX2 story about a surveillance project a couple of local Michigan AP pilots (Kyle & I) did a couple of months back. Read the first paragraph.

http://wjbk.membercenter.worldnow.co...type=printable
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:02 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,619 Posts
Harry,

Interesting - did you have any written agreement with the city or any other organization?

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper