HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRWeldon View Post
Howdy folks. First time I have visited this forum. I'm deferring to those who have more knowledge than I do at this point. I just received my new F7DS yesterday and I'm digging in to the manual and I have to say that with the poor translation from Chinese to English, I'm just a bit lost. This is the first radio I've purchased since around 2003 and the first computerized radio I've ever purchased.

Can somebody who is experienced with these radios please tell me the major heavy-hitters on what I need to look our for or pay special attention to when setting up my model? It would sure be appreciated.

One thing I just could not understand because of how the translation was written... What is the difference between "common" and "flight model" under the "flight mode trim" menu? It sounds as if it could have pretty ominous unintended consequences if set incorrectly and if I understand the translation (probably don't) it would seem that the default of "common" isn't really what I want.

I'm going to be flying multi-rotors with this radio, but I'm not sure if I set it up as a helicopter or airplane, since there isn't a multi-rotor setting. I'm assuming airplane is what I want, but it is just that, an assumption.

Any help would surely be appreciated...

Glen
How you setup the radio is going to be largely dependent on the helicopter youa re flying.

If you gave a make and model then people might have a better idea of how you might set it up.
bazsound is online now Find More Posts by bazsound
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
14 Posts
Thank you...

I am flying a quad-copter frame similar to the Tarot 680. Four Sunnysky 2212 800kv motors with 11x4.7 props on 3S (11.1V) with a KK2.1HC flight controller running Stevis 1.18s1Pro firmware. Basic all-up weight is 4lbs 3oz.
GRWeldon is offline Find More Posts by GRWeldon
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Thank you...

I am flying a quad-copter frame similar to the Tarot 680. Four Sunnysky 2212 800kv motors with 11x4.7 props on 3S (11.1V) with a KK2.1HC flight controller running Stevis 1.18s1Pro firmware. Basic all-up weight is 4lbs 3oz.
ah right a quadcopter.

I dont know much about quadcopters and how you would set them up.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F_EaAufV8P8HAQ

from reading this it seems that processing is done on the controller so id guess that youw ould just set it up as a plane no mixing on the tx, i think mixing must be done on the flight contrlller

dont know if you have to program the flight controller thoughy
Old Oct 04, 2014, 10:47 PM
Antisocial Curmudgeon
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2013
998 Posts
This thread is about the Devo 7E, which is a different animal then your F7...but the basic software should be similar.

Baz is right in that you should be able to set up as a plane, and you may have to reverse a couple channels (no experience here with KK2). In many cases the stick throws need to be set to +/-125% to get full range at the flight controller.

Most transmitters are similar enough that I suspect the folks in a KK2 related thread can help you out as there may be tricks required for that particular controller.
Fyathyrio is online now Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "bright" idea! :)
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:08 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,966 Posts
Regarding the trim mode common/flight model - basically this means;

In common mode:
No matter which model you select, if you have 3 stops of Aileron trim set, you will have 3 set on every single model you fly.

In flight model mode:
The 3 stops of trim will only apply to the model in which you were when you added the trim.

I think, for a multi, you shouldn't be using TX trim anyway but if, for whatever reason you did need to, then you'd not want the common default but the (per) flight model mode.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Oct 05, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Regarding the trim mode common/flight model - basically this means;

In common mode:
No matter which model you select, if you have 3 stops of Aileron trim set, you will have 3 set on every single model you fly.

In flight model mode:
The 3 stops of trim will only apply to the model in which you were when you added the trim.

I think, for a multi, you shouldn't be using TX trim anyway but if, for whatever reason you did need to, then you'd not want the common default but the (per) flight model mode.
Thank you! This is the kind of information I was looking for.

I had no idea this forum was for the 7E and that is was so much different that the F7DS. I thought they were all 7s so this was the appropriate place. Will you all please forgive me for my social faux pas...
GRWeldon is offline Find More Posts by GRWeldon
Old Oct 05, 2014, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2013
547 Posts
Quote:
Thank you! This is the kind of information I was looking for.

I had no idea this forum was for the 7E and that is was so much different that the F7DS. I thought they were all 7s so this was the appropriate place. Will you all please forgive me for my social faux pas...
No worries, i didnt even know the F7DS was a deviation TX until i googled it. I thought it was a multirotor thing you were talking about then when this big fancy looking thing with a screen popped up i got confused.

Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:49 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,966 Posts
The F7 and 7e and 7 are all totally different TXs. It's just that they support 7 channels (by default).
The 7e is the only one which can be modified with the Deviation firmware and permits 8+ channels depending on your FW config and mods.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm