HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Discussion
Problems with viewing ET KML track in GE

I mentioned this in another thread but since I had no responses I thought it best to start a new one.

While viewing a KML track created by Eagle Tree Software in Google Earth (either version 5.1 or 5.2) the track moves in relation to the ground as you Pan the view. If you are zoomed in the amount of error created by panning the track is very large.

I have the "Click here to export Altimeter altitude readings to Google Earth" box checked in the ET settings to export the barometric altitude as stated in the ET manual since I have the altitude sensors on board.

I will be happy to send the KML file to anyone that thinks they can help. Has anyone else had this problem??

Bob
Bob_W is offline Find More Posts by Bob_W
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:15 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sorry for the issue. There are suddenly a couple of issues reported with GE. I think Google must have made some updates. Yes, if you could post your .KML file, I will have a look. I plan on doing some experiments with GE tomorrow to determine what is happening.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

Sorry for the delay. I bought a new drive for my notebook and have been installing WinXP it to replace the Win2K I had been running. I am hoping that this may solve some of the problems with GE reading the live mode files realtime. The notebook is almost back to "normal" with a few apps and settings to go.

Here is the zipped KML file I had been using. I haven't installed GE or ET spotware yet but expect to get to that later today. I have both version 5.1 and 5.2 of GE so if you think one is better than the other let me know.

Bob
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Bob, pls let me know what you find. I have not had a chance to try this here this week.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
I just loaded v5.1.3533.1731 of GE and it has the same problem as v5.2. When I pan the screen I have no idea of where the actual location is as the track moves relative to the images. The KML file has barometric altitude embedded in the file, is there a way to remove altitude data? From the ET instructions for GE setup it appears you get the GPS or the barometric altitude.

Has anyone else had thie problem?

Bob
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:54 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. We've been working on repros of your report today. Will post findings later this week.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

Any updates on the Google Earth problems? I won't be able to experiment any more until the replacement GPS arrives. Did you at least see the problem with the KML track that I had attached earlier?

Bob
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:35 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Bob,

The latest version of GE seemed to work fine here with live mode, when using GPS altitude. f you are using barometric altitude for GE, a change to the software version below may cause your your path to appear. I needed to make a change for the latest version of GE for barometric altitude. Finally, I made changes for saving files as GE files (there was an issue with the latest GE with that), and added a "Save as Google Track" option for playing back your flights in GE.

Here's the (alpha) version:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Late...lpha/setup.exe
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

I will try this one out this evening when I get home and see how it works and post the results.

Thanks
Bob
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
I wanted to post an update to let everyone know that the software version posted by Bill earlier worked fine. I did a test with the plane in the back of the truck (it was raining and I had to go out for a while anyway) and it tracked the cached GE maps well and didn't have the panning problems I had reported before. The GE version I tested was v5.2; I probably won't haven't try the older v5.1 yet unless someone really needs the info.

Thanks to Bill and the group for fixing this problem.

Bob
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Bob, great news on Google Earth! Glad that's working for you now. Have you tried the new GE track feature yet for your recorded data? I think it's the coolest thing ever.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

Thanks for the work on correcting this problem. Without that feature working most of the GPS features were not available. I still would like to get out and try it live while flying the sailplane at higher altitudes but weather isn't cooperating this time of year.

I haven't tried the GE track feature you mentioned yet and not even sure where it is. So far I haven't reviewed recorded data yet from flights since most of the features I am looking for are during flight. I'll check it out someday when I get a chance.

Bob