Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
although it's probably nonsense, you just made me think of a new possible definition of romance......................living on the edge.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
That's certainly true when you talk about women. Oh! I'm getting off the subject. Sorry. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:53 PM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
although it's probably nonsense, you just made me think of a new possible definition of romance......................living on the edge.....
Yes, as well as in the case of these Ships, Remembering the Edge that was lived on.

With the Articels of War I think everyone lived on the edge,
The Edge of Death.
With every new Voyage, The edge of uncertainty.

With every Rounding of the Horn, The Edge of a Nightmare come True.

Truly a Romantic time, Truly a dangerous time, Truly a time for man to be alive.
Skipper AM299 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper AM299
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:31 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,549 Posts
More healthy then the army, better opportunities, and an overall better life than many had ashore. No prize money in the army.

A fair number of tars became captains and even admirals - hardly any privates made it into the officer corps.

I a time when life was hard, unhealthy, and short - give me a life at sea.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:35 PM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
I a time when life was hard, unhealthy, and short - give me a life at sea.
I Totaly agree with that Jerry, As hard as it was, It was a great way of life.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,578 Posts
Actually Pete you're not too far off subject. I've always felt the sea offers much of the allure, as well as the uncertainty & danger, that women possess.

Or was it just the idea of numerous port calls that drew men to the sea?
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
I've been stood up,shot down,cursed,cut,shot at,threatened,beat up and knocked down by various women in my life and I'll take the sea,a hurricane,a tornado and a Northeaster or a Blue Norther anytime over an irrate woman. No contest there. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
i've been ignored by women for the most part...and i get seasick....so i'm happy in my little cub.by.hole....haven't got the guts to live on the edge ...i guess, building is how i show my respect to those who do, ......
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Me too. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
still alive.....just quit my apt. managing job, so i should start making some headway .....basically put together the three lanterns-not an immaculate job, but should work.......and in the background, you can see the hatches have been placed....still have to attach hinges, sand, and paint red......used that white glue stuff to make the glass in the lanterns, cause i liked the effect...will install lamps..maybe two or three in each lantern, so they'll be a little brighter......back soon god willing....vic
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:16 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,373 Posts
White glue for glass

Hey Yanc -great to see a post again.
I really liked your cannon mounting approach.

The lantern is beatiful. How did you make it?
A note on the white glue...even though it dries clear, when exposed to water for a while it will soften and turn opaque white again. At least for the various white glues I have tried (including the stuff sold to make windows - not made to be wet). And if you sail her, she will get wet - a lot.
Options to try - clear epoxy or clear permanent fabric glue (waterproof/dryclean-proof). I used epoxy in my lantern lenses and have used the fabric glue extensively on the brig for sail seams and attaching detail parts and they are both fine after a lot of water exposure.
Put your lantern in some water for about a half hour if you want to test the glue you used. Maybe it's more waterproof than the stuff I used.

Here's a link to info on coloring epoxy for lanterns. I mistakenly used red color, but you could use a tad of yellow in epoxy for an old wavy glass effect.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=664
DanL is online now Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Jan 11, 2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added info
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:43 AM
Washington State
Joined Sep 2007
239 Posts
Great to see some more progress Vic. here might be another thought for Glass.

http://www.arsenal-modelist.com/inde...art=17&image=5
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Just a thought on making window glass inserts.

Almost everything you buy today comes in vacuum formed plastic. By looking though several of these you can find various degrees of distortion form crystal clear to bathroom obscured secured.

By selecting the distortion you want then you can tint it by several methods. You can use varnish as mentioned and add yellow and or brown to get the coloring you want.

This sort of plastic makes the windows water proof and are easy to handle and cut to shape.

You can also find different thicknesses as needed for your project.

Oh and when you need curved glass, the same sources work. Even build canopies if you find the right packaging.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
great ideas...should have check with you guys first.....i built them the hard way...had to figure the shape of each face...which wasn't easy for me...then cut them out of 1/16th ply...glue...and cut out the windows....i'm realizing that i take an organic method of building, rather than a meticulous accurate clean cut approach...i seem to be more concerned with the mood or atmosphere of the build....which is a long way of saying i'm tooooo lazy ........yes i was concerned about the glue....i tried another glue which advertised as drying clear and was definitely waterproof, but it became milky a day after drying clear......go figure......had to remove it all and replaced it with the stuff designed for that, although i know it's not waterproof...i just liked the effect...i should have used epoxy...anyways, i'll spray them with some clear urethane or whatever to maybe scare away the water somewhat....if, after exposure to the elements, it seems that the lanterns are going blind, i'll remove them and do the epoxy thingy.....should start having fun, now that i have more time..........oh.....i could have opened the top and cut pieces of microscope slides which i used on the rear galleries, but could open without destroying the lamps....cheers, vic
Last edited by yancovitch; Jan 11, 2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2006
811 Posts
just a funny thought....if glass starts to get milky, i'll turn on the lites to dry them out....take that! ye foul dampness!!
Last edited by yancovitch; Jan 12, 2010 at 07:02 PM.