HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:24 AM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
my new toy: prodij2

my first fiberglass sloper... just waiting for the right conditions to maiden it...
nayy is offline Find More Posts by nayy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:06 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
The picture came out kind of funky, but it looks like a nice plane. Enjoy, I understand that's a good one!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:50 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
373 Posts
Sweet, you'll love that ship as your first true sloper. What gear to you put in? After you master that get the Aldi J or the Mirage.
maherrpca is offline Find More Posts by maherrpca
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:26 PM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
As gear I put in:
receiver: R700 graupner
ailerons servos: 2 HS85 MG
rudder servos: 2 protech B112
AUW 700g
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,332 Posts
Those are awesome 60" slopers! You will love it. Do you have it set up with the ability to change the wing camber while in flight?
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 21, 2004, 03:10 PM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
hi Target,

Yes indeed I plan to fly it on '4 axis'.
I've put back the spring on my 'gas stick'. When I push forward, the elevons go up (reflex, speed), when I pull the elevons go down (camber, more lift)

yann
Last edited by nayy; Nov 23, 2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:50 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
373 Posts
Hey Nayy,
I forgot to mention that you probably couldn't find a tuffer plane as your first other than this one. This baby will take hard landings and keep on flying. Good call on the hs85mg for the wings. I've flown this bird and it flys sweet. Did you put a ballast tube in it? If this is your 1'st real plane no big deal , but next time you will wish you had, keep that in mind. Ballast tubes for the windy day's. Give a report after the 1'st flight!
maherrpca is offline Find More Posts by maherrpca
Last edited by maherrpca; Nov 21, 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:21 AM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
no, no ballast tube untill today.
But there is enough place in the fuselage to install one...
I'll start without, and if needed i'll install one later.

yann
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:28 AM
Xixˇn, Asturias, Spain
Joined Apr 2003
304 Posts
Install the tube ballast! it's like flying a new plane!
I've got a Prodij and i used to fly it without ballast and it was a fast plane, but the first time i flew it ballasted, it began to scream and go really fast

Karras
Karras is offline Find More Posts by Karras
Old Nov 22, 2004, 09:25 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Good-looking bird, looks like it should be a sweet flyer...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:01 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Seen one fly, and they're great. Very well designed and great flying. I've also seen their 3 servo-wing 3 meter fly, and that thing is fast!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:25 AM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
Well, today I flew it for the first time.

conditions were far from ideal: small slope, cold, rain, and only 7-10 knots of wind.

First I did a slope check with my beloved weasel-pro. It stayed in the air, but not enough wind to make acro's.

Then I tossed the prodij. It flew well for the marginal conditions.
The flapperons are really reactive, add a little bit of camber, and the plane climbs. The effect is really specatular.
What I also nodiced: I flew it relatively slowly and when i banked to hard in the turns, it lost really a lot of altitude. Turning with rudder was much more efficient.

I think the rain also changed the CG.

My third landing was a little bit hard... and both nylon screws which hold the wing in place broke. (wasn't too bad, at that time a couldn't feel my fingers any more)

Has anybody a 'trick' to remove broken nylon bolds? It's really a pain in the ass to remove them.

I'll post a new reply when I've flown it in 'better' conditions.

happy flying,

Yannick
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:37 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,332 Posts
Try heating up a # 11 exacto just enought to melt into the nylon screws, then put a damp paper towel on the blade to cool it. Leave this in place until its nice and cool, and then you SHOULD be able to use it like a screwdriver to take out the nylon stub.

Good luck!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:24 AM
Ostend, Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
41 Posts
Hi,

As I read a lot of builing toppics on the prodij recently, I thought it would be nice to add my experience.

I've been flying my prodij for 2 months now, And I'm quite happy with it.

strength: yes it is strong, but be sure to take enough spare bolts to attach the wing to the fuse, they break very easily. And take some tools to remove broken bold ends out of the fuse. For me the easiest way is with a sharp knife.
Be sure to use a system to link the ailerons to the servos which detaches on impact. Otherwise the Bolds break, and your wing is still attached to these linkages, resulting in damaged servos or damaged fuse.

The weakest point is the attachment tail-fuse at the underside of the wing at the back. Be sure to glass that part.
I didn't glass the tail completely, and if I had to redo the build, I would glass the tail completely.

batteries: I used 750 mah NiMH at first, but this is not enough for me. With 4 servos, my plane needs about 300mAh/ hour of flight. One day my bat's went flat after a 2 hour flight, The plane crashed from 15 meters at my feet... No damage at all. Then I decided to replace the batteries with bigger ones, I didn't want to have accidents or hurt someone with it due to flat batteries as it is a fast plane.
I replaced them with 1500 Mah NiMH. Now My plane weights 750g and I can fly a whole day.

Flying: Yes it flies well...
Be sure to fly it on 4 axis, only then you will get everyting out of it...
You can fly it in light lift.. just add some camber and it soars away...
But... in light lift you'll have to use as less ailons as possible and use the rudder to turn. Don't make sharp turns or the inner wing will stall. And it does not warn you. It's stalls, and goes into a spiral dive to rejoin mother earth. At first I thought I had problems with my receiver. That was the way I broke a lot of bolts, and damaged my tail...
Be also sure to add enought differential on the V-tail, otherwise it will pitch up in a turn and stall in light lift. Forget to fly it well in light lift without V-tail.
To resume: It flies in light lift, but if this is most of the time the conditions at your flight spot, buy something else.

More wind: from 15 knots of wind that's where it's made for... Speed and sharp turns.
I've flown it in winds till 26 knots, and didn't need any ballast.
I flow it together with EPP wings and I think I went twice as fast as the wings.
It does not make any noise, even when flown very fast is keeps quit.

Landing: no problem in light lift, add a lot of reflex and the plane comes down.
It becomes a problem in high lift conditions: the plane does not want to slow down and does not want to land. If you can't put reflex forget to land it nicely in high wind conditions.

ballast: I don't have the installed ballast tube, I made 2 ballast plugs which i can bolt on the inside of the fuse. I made 2: one of 200g and one of 440g.
Didn't try it untill now.

I only flew it on 'small' slopes 12-45 meter high. I plan to go fly it on a bigger slope in the next weeks, I'll report on that flight later. And also a report after flying with ballast.

Does anybody has experience with ballasted prodij's?

Hope this helps,

Happy flying,

Yann