HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
Discussion
Need info on carbon fiber mast

I have a VICTOR MODEL A3 and I just order some carbon fiber tube , size is .3750 . Is this big enough for my sails? I have 3/8 buy 1/2 mast and booms now . I would like to up grade. Thanks Mike
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
I guess no one could help me with my question . I'll try the and see what happens.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:36 PM
United States, TX, Hudson Oaks
Joined Aug 2013
25 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the A 3. Is there any other markings or size of sail? If you are working with something the size of the Soling 1Meter it should work for you.
Cordecker is offline Find More Posts by Cordecker
Old Jun 04, 2014, 07:33 AM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
Yes its the size of a Soling ,this is new territory for me so I quite don't understand what I'm doing , thanks for the information . It will give me a starting point.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:02 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,056 Posts
AMYA had an ODOM (1 Meter) mast for sale. I think it was about $80 and while a one-design mast, it certainly would work for a Victor Products boat. Personally, since the Cup Series is not a class, I would fabricate a wooden mast from straight grain pine and varnish/paint. A few ounces heavier, but a heck of a lot less cost.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 10:16 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
I have the Victor Stars & Stripes 1M and I have used the kits wood mast, carbon kite spars and aluminum arrow shafts for masts. The carbon kits spars are smaller than .375" diameter, but I also think they are a little too flexible. They are readily available where I live so I deal with it. Midwest Model Yachting sells lots of stuff, and they list US-1M carbon masts as being 11.1mm (about .437") in diameter. A little larger than yours, but depending on wall thickness and stiffness maybe similar.
If all you are doing is sailing for fun go ahead and see what happens. The only reason I swapped out the wood mast for the carbon tube is that the carbon looks better. The performance difference on those boats (12 meter cup boat) is negligible.
Remember to support the tube any time you need to drill a hole. I use small wood dowels pieces, CA's in place inside. For sheet and pivot attachments, use rubber grommets, no holes required. And lashing to the outside is always better than cutting the fibers.

Dave

Midwest Model Yachting...
http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/US1MeterRigKits.asp
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Last edited by boater_dave; Jun 04, 2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added link to Midwest Model Yachting
Old Jun 04, 2014, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
198 Posts
Just wanted to add my voice to those who have suggested that their is no real benefit for a Victor boat to upgrade to a carbon fiber mast. No real organized racing of the Victor America 3 and a flexible carbon mast won't be much better than wood anyway. As also pointed out, carbon will be difficult to work with and is prone to crack or split unless carefully drilled and reinforced. Also, without going to a more sophisticated set of sails and other hardware even with a carbon spar, their will effectively be no performance gains. Sail the boat and enjoy it for what it is.....
Tom Corbett is online now Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Jun 04, 2014, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
The A3 is all I have at the moment, I was interested in making up grades for the experience and fun of it, l'm going to order a Soling soon and modify it if rules allow. I don't get my boat out much no time now but I still enjoy building and at some point sailing .
Last edited by m.g.; Jun 04, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:34 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,056 Posts
Get a copy of the class rules from AMYA web site. Not a lot of changes allowed as it is considered a one-design. If you make changes that aren't "legal" there will be little value as it won't be able to be raced "in class".
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 09:54 PM
Joined Sep 2009
162 Posts
Thanks guys for all the good info , I really like this hobby and would like to learn as much as I can as time goes on.