HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:13 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,009 Posts
Great report, maiden and video.Congrats. Nice flying ds man! Got to love the Windburner!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2013, 03:10 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
That is a awesome site nice flyin fella's. How often do you guys fly there. That's a 500 mph site for sure. When's the best time to come over to fly at that spot.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:18 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
That is a awesome site nice flyin fella's. How often do you guys fly there. That's a 500 mph site for sure. When's the best time to come over to fly at that spot.
It's good for frequent DS cruising all year round, but the stronger flyable winds are in Autumn/Winter (October to March).
I agree it has the potential for very fast speeds, but we very rarely have strongish S-SSW'ly winds unaccompanied by heavy rain, so anything OK to fly in over 30 mph is rare indeed.

Though we do have slightly better luck sometimes with other wind directions & have, also adjacent to Mam Tor ('MT', the highest point in the Peak District), two other good DS sites.

1)'RE'/Rushup Edge/Rushup: S-SSW; also DSes in N-NNE (shallower backside)
2)'MS' (curved ridge on shoulder of MT): NW-N; also DSes in SSE-SE
3) 'HH'/ Mt. Famine: WSW-W (WxS ideal).

And there's excellent frontside flying at MT in any wind direction.

Plus the S.Wales' DS sites are readily accessible (i.e. in Oz terms - only a few hours' drive!), e.g. Pen-Y-Fan, Skirrid & Black Hill.

Should you intend to come over, let us know & we'll look after you.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,512 Posts
New 'Burner ready to go

About a year ago Kev very generously offered to lend me the Windburner Mk 2 wing moulds. This was just after he'd got the Mk 3 moulds CNC cut. I couldn't say no! For those that don't know the Mk 2 moulds were moulded off a hand-made plug that Kev shaped himself.

I made two wings from these moulds, but because of work and the Deepend I've only just got around to finishing the first one.

I wanted to experiment a little with the wing layups and see how quickly and easily a wing could be made. The layup in this first one is two layers of 200g carbon layed on the bias with no sandwich. The spars are three layers of 400g x 25mm uni-carbon in the middle tapering to two layers at the tips. Lots of uni-fibreglass was placed along the LE to help with weed-whacking. The main spar web is made from a carbon sock around foam, and the drag spars and elevon spars are made from 200g carbon wrapped around foam. Small strips of 400g uni carbon were placed chord-wise to act like ribs, stiffening the skin between the spars.

The wing turned out really well. It's extremely stiff, especially in torsion, feels like a mini Kinetic and weighs a relatively light 600g before servos. The no-sandwich concept worked well, the skins feel stiff and well supported thanks to the heavy layup and the fact there are no large unsupported areas of skin. The only issue was I had to clean up some over-spray and used a buffing machine to get the gloss back into the wing. The heat from the buffer shrank the skins back so you can see the uni carbon "ribs" sticking up slightly. For that reason I'd probably use a sandwich next time, although it did make for a very quick build without the sandwich.

I also built a second much heavier wing with a similar layup but using a sandwich. It has about one inch of solid epoxy/chopped glass along the LE, as well as lots of scrap carbon put into the D box for good measure, and some steel embedded in the tips... It came out at roughly twice the weight! That one still needs to have servos installed but is otherwise close to complete.

I bought a couple of fuses off Kev and they are bullet proof! The layup in the front of them is as thick as 5mm in places. If something breaks on this 'Burner it won't be the fuse!

Flying weight of this first one is 1.4KG. Should be a good weight for an average Cactus day.

I tried KST DS125MG servos in this one and I gotta say they're pretty good! The two I have do have a little slop, one worse than the other but it is less than many much more expensive servos I have bought. They centre well and seem quite precise and smooth in their movement. I can tell a difference between them and MKS 6125 in terms of gear tightness and precision, but it is not huge, and they cost less than 1/3 of what the MKS cost. At this much lower price I would expect a higher failure rate though, so personally I wouldn't put them in something heavy or expensive. I'm hoping they stand up to the abuse dished out by a heavy plank, we shall see...

Sean.
Sean Moloney is online now Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:57 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,031 Posts
Nice! Scheme looks mint too

I would love to lay-up my own burner, have just the lay-up in mind for super fast Tekapo special. But I seriously think you need a bigger airframe to go much over 300, it is just so small and quick. I had some laps that were well over 300 but was so hard to keep track of
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2014, 04:03 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
703 Posts
WINDBURNER NEWS
On the 9/2/14 Bruce Tebo has flown a Windburner to 331mph at Weldon which is now the new World Record for a plank.
Congratulations Bruce incredible flying.
Kev
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:16 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,941 Posts
WOW! Congrats Bruce and Kev! That's fast.
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:25 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,562 Posts
I got a text from Bruce. "The windburner was a handful. The first flight i went 314. then when we were loading up i measured another 64 gust so i decided to fly it again. I didn't hear any speeds but i thought i was going pretty good. Then Alan yeld out 331. Pulled right out and landed."
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2014, 07:05 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,241 Posts
Wow solid wind I couldn't imagine flying in that type of power.

Well done to all. Now you guys got to aim for 350 ha ha. The windy season has started

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:16 PM
Mr Windburner
Joined Apr 2009
703 Posts
I have started to build agen. But I have got a problem I had a old list in my shed thet I was building planes for guys from which I have completed, but the up to date one was on my computer which has died.
So if you did order a windburnre of me please pm me.
Thanks Kev
Old Mar 28, 2014, 05:07 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
hey kev just saw b.tebo went 331! totally awesome, good to hear it is still kicking too, what a plane hey!!!!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:20 PM
Mr Windburner
Joined Apr 2009
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred View Post
hey kev just saw b.tebo went 331! totally awesome, good to hear it is still kicking too, what a plane hey!!!!
Thanks Jarred, it was the one you sold to him. It is a glass one as well.
Kev
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:42 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,241 Posts
Awesome kev.
The white orange/black is the best ever. I've always loved that colour combo.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:07 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,031 Posts
Who is the NZ one going to Kev?
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member