HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,604 Posts
Got mine delivered to my office. Big box! Have not had a chance to do more than give the box a quick once over.
Can't wait to get started.
I there any possibility of having the wings removable?

Looks nice Scott. Good job!
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:24 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
But if you paint the canopy black, how will the little fella see where he's going??

Scott

That just cracked me up!
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
My Ultra arrived today in great shape. Wonderful packing job! Parts looked excellent!

I was working on mounting the motor and found a couple of items. NOTE -- I'm not using the recommended motor, so some of these issues may not apply if you use the Model Aero motor.

First, my motor shaft extended out behind the motor mount too far and it hit the plywood motor pylon brace. Rather than cut out the plywood, I shortened my motor shaft.

Second, I measured the distance from the firewall to the end of the plastic cowl and found that I needed 1-7/8" (48mm) for the prop to clear the front of the cowl. For my motor, I needed to add 3/8" spacers for the prop to clear, or I guess I could have cut 3/8" off the cowl.

So far, I'm very happy with my purchase. Now I need to get back to work.

McD
Kingsflyer, we sized the plastic cowl specifically for the recommended 2810-9 motor, while realizing other motors may require some trimming or shimming as yours did.

Can you share what motor you are using? The 2810-9 motor on 4S pulls about 420 watts with an 8 x 4 prop.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Last edited by Model Aero; Dec 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Got mine delivered to my office. Big box! Have not had a chance to do more than give the box a quick once over.
Can't wait to get started.
I there any possibility of having the wings removable?

Looks nice Scott. Good job!
It may be possible to have removable wings. You would need to devise some hardware to secure the wing panels to the fuselage. Keep in mind you'd be giving up a lot of strength versus epoxying them in.

Scott
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:07 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
Turns out my Christmas present did not get ordered yet, so my present under the tree will likely be a card with a receipt on it. But it's now on the website so easier for my wife to navigate and accomplish.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
looks very cool, I have a kit built polaris and an electric northstar. Would like to see some more water take off videos before I pull the trigger. The only water video I have seen so far looks a little twitchy on fast taxi. The flier might just not be holding a little up, so hard to tell.

In flight video looks very good. As far as wire size goes, it's hard to argue with the people that have flown it already. I suppose a lower KVA motor with a 4 cell pack would drop the WOT amps some, but it looks like a non issue.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
looks very cool, I have a kit built polaris and an electric northstar. Would like to see some more water take off videos before I pull the trigger. The only water video I have seen so far looks a little twitchy on fast taxi. The flier might just not be holding a little up, so hard to tell.

In flight video looks very good. As far as wire size goes, it's hard to argue with the people that have flown it already. I suppose a lower KVA motor with a 4 cell pack would drop the WOT amps some, but it looks like a non issue.
In that video Tim is running a 4S 2600 battery, so it's a pretty heavy setup and the plane is sitting lower in the water. Notice when he throttles up the torque tips the plane to the left and the left wingtip catches and then he over-corrects a little and catches the right wingtip. Once it's fully "on step" it's off to the races.

I have noticed when flying her off water you can avoid this by simply keeping the wings level with aileron to offset the torque effect until she's on step.

Polaris Ultra Video
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Post removed to avoid confusion
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Last edited by Aviefly; Dec 20, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Thanks Aviefly
Last edited by Model Aero; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I thought it looked like it handle pretty well in the water. Would you like me to delete the post to avoid confusion?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I thought it looked like it handle pretty well in the water. Would you like me to delete the post to avoid confusion?
It might be a good idea to remove them since that plane was not produced from the production tooling. In fact, it was machine cut from a block of foam, not even molded. So it could cause confusion.

Scott
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Kingsflyer
Can you share what motor you are using? The 2810-9 motor on 4S pulls about 420 watts with an 8 x 4 prop.
Scott
Hey Scott,

I wish I had the motor info, but I think it's a Grim Reaper of some sort. I bought it at the 3DHS closeout sale a while back. I think the kV must be lower than your 2810-9 motor because it only pulled 415 watts with the 8x6 on 4-cells. It weighs 75 grams so it should work I think.

I was concerned that here in Texas in the summertime, I might need some extra motor cooling. I see the openings in the front of the cowl, but there doesn't seem to be any opening for the air to exit the cowl area. I was planning to cut out an area on the bottom of cowl to provide an air exit and also allow any ingested water a way to drain out.

I have discovered that just like so many other foamies, the Ultra's paint is a little fragile. I tried using the low tack Blue painters tape when I was installing the canopy, but it still pulled off some of the paint. I think that it's just a fact of life that foam doesn't allow much of a purchase for paint to adhere to its surface. It's not a disaster, it's just a reality with foam ARFs.

I hope that my comments are not misinterpreted. They are all intended to be constructive and I hope they can help other builders. I really like my new Ultra and I can't wait to get her airborne!

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Hey Scott,

I wish I had the motor info, but I think it's a Grim Reaper of some sort. I bought it at the 3DHS closeout sale a while back. I think the kV must be lower than your 2810-9 motor because it only pulled 415 watts with the 8x6 on 4-cells. It weighs 75 grams so it should work I think.

I was concerned that here in Texas in the summertime, I might need some extra motor cooling. I see the openings in the front of the cowl, but there doesn't seem to be any opening for the air to exit the cowl area. I was planning to cut out an area on the bottom of cowl to provide an air exit and also allow any ingested water a way to drain out.

I have discovered that just like so many other foamies, the Ultra's paint is a little fragile. I tried using the low tack Blue painters tape when I was installing the canopy, but it still pulled off some of the paint. I think that it's just a fact of life that foam doesn't allow much of a purchase for paint to adhere to its surface. It's not a disaster, it's just a reality with foam ARFs.

I hope that my comments are not misinterpreted. They are all intended to be constructive and I hope they can help other builders. I really like my new Ultra and I can't wait to get her airborne!

McD
That motor should be a screamer. I've actually flown the Ultra on 220 watts up to 420 watts, and I can tell you 415 watts will really get her moving.

I've found the same thing with paint on foam ARF'S, especially ones molded from EPO. It's by far the best foam, but there are release agents used during the molding process that can inhibit the paint from sticking well. As long as you're careful it's fine. Mine still looks great after many flights.

Scott
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,290 Posts
I'm sure you could convince the manufacturer to plasma treat the surface before painting <grin>. It really helps paint stick to polyolefins like PP and PE. www.plasmatreat.com/
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:27 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
That motor should be a screamer.

I've found the same thing with paint on foam ARF'S, especially ones molded from EPO. It's by far the best foam, but there are release agents used during the molding process that can inhibit the paint from sticking well. As long as you're careful it's fine. Mine still looks great after many flights.

Scott

Most polyolefin do not accept finishes without some kind of pre treatment
to etch the surface. It does not have as much to do with the release used as it does to the material composition itself which has a natural lubricity.

Flame or plasma surface treatment may possibly deform the foam but there are special ink compositions for printing on treated or untreated surfaces of polyolefin plastics.

The manufacturer could possibly find a paint or ink that will adhere better.

In the mean time, I am anxiously awaiting my new kit.
Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth