HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:45 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Question
RIP Hubsan 4

After less than two weeks, my sweet black and white flying bug passed away.
All of a sudden, without notice, without early symptom, after a normal flight I replaced the lipo, plugged a charged battery in and no lights, no control, nothing.
I tried different lipos to no avail.
I opened it to check the wires, they are well soldered. The small Walkera style plug is OK as well, so no doubt, the board is fried.

I was using 350 mAh 25C batteries with this quad, same ones I use with the LB.
Could this explain the ultra short lifespan of this device or can we just say the electronics is crap?
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Oct 2009
419 Posts
How much do the batteries weigh? I would think it would just kill your motors not your board if its overweight. Also have you checked that it actually is voltage at the board when the battery is plugged in? Sometimes the battery wires can break without it showing, atleast they did on the genius cp
Jetboatftw is offline Find More Posts by Jetboatftw
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Watch those Walkera plugs, may look OK but ck for continuity. The wire strands notable break at pin from wear and tear.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:48 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
Watch those Walkera plugs, may look OK but ck for continuity. The wire strands notable break at pin from wear and tear.
Gave my daughter-in-law and future MassiveRC offiical model a MP to fly around to try and get business and her oaf of a BF must have been trying to pull the connectors apart by yanking on the wires, which broke them even though the insulation was intact.

It's why I made these pictures and vid on how to properly remove the connectors:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=20

Removing those pesky connectors

Removing Walkera Micro battery connectors (1 min 40 sec)

MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:31 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Thanks guys but I did check and the board is definitely dead.
I was having so much fun with this little devil, it was perfect for my tiny living-room, that really sucks.
I've sent a mail to the online shop here in France.
They are cool folks, I'll see what they can do for me.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
223 Posts
Arghhh, same thing happened to mine today after I changed a bad motor It flew of and just came down like a rock!!! Did you happen to replace any of the motors before it happened to yours? I'd like to know if the board is junk before I get another one.
ogrope1 is online now Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:49 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Thanks guys but I did check and the board is definitely dead.
I was having so much fun with this little devil, it was perfect for my tiny living-room, that really sucks.
I've sent a mail to the online shop here in France.
They are cool folks, I'll see what they can do for me.
They probably can't give you another one, since nobody seem to have them in stock (for a reasonable price). But I hope they can at least partially refund your money. Less than two weeks of normal usage clearly doesnot satisfy merchantability (implied warranty).
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1 View Post
Arghhh, same thing happened to mine today after I changed a bad motor It flew of and just came down like a rock!!! Did you happen to replace any of the motors before it happened to yours? I'd like to know if the board is junk before I get another one.
Yes, I replaced a motor two days before it happened!
With a V939 one.
Something weird here obviously...
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:30 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
They probably can't give you another one, since nobody seem to have them in stock (for a reasonable price). But I hope they can at least partially refund your money. Less than two weeks of normal usage clearly doesnot satisfy merchantability (implied warranty).
Well, they didn't react yet.
I don't have too much illusions anyway.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Yes, I replaced a motor two days before it happened!
With a V939 one.
Something weird here obviously...
I dont have any problems after i changed two motors (same time). I think you overheat some of the component while you soldered the motor.
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkomit View Post
I dont have any problems after i changed two motors (same time). I think you overheat some of the component while you soldered the motor.
That may be what the seller tells him too, unfortunately. Once you altered something, all warranties are void.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter