HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:11 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
It was campaigns like this that made me quit advertising. Come on.

Harry
Come on what? It's actually quite truthful in that this indoor world is EXACTLY what's happening when you walk outside! It's just that you're accustomed to it, as we are with many foolish things that will seem absolutely idiotic 50 years from now (to reasonable people, they seem that way already--a rattling gas burning engine being a prime example).

It's why we need to move to non-combustion engines as quickly as possible. It can be done, but people stuck in the 1800's resist it...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I did not realize that the range was so short. I need something that will go to work and back (40 miles one way) in all kinds of weather with something to spare. Looks like it may be many years before we can expect anything like that.

Iíll just get another SUV that way I have plenty of room for airplanes and helicopters for lunchtime and after work flying. There is a flying field on the way home. Life doesnít get any better than that Ė LOL.

If by many years, you mean right now, then you're right. If you want an SUV it's a year or 2 away (tesla model X).
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
If by many years, you mean right now, then you're right. If you want an SUV it's a year or 2 away (tesla model X).
I have seen news stories on Tesla and it looks like to me that they are all special order and unaffordable. I was talking about something that’s about the same price as IC powered vehicles with 100 mile cold weather range. Currently they are just not practical for the average commuter.

The price of batteries will have to come way down before they are really practical.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Come on what? It's actually quite truthful in that this indoor world is EXACTLY what's happening when you walk outside! It's just that you're accustomed to it, as we are with many foolish things that will seem absolutely idiotic 50 years from now (to reasonable people, they seem that way already--a rattling gas burning engine being a prime example).

It's why we need to move to non-combustion engines as quickly as possible. It can be done, but people stuck in the 1800's resist it...
Come on What?? They are putting an engine on an iPod. It is creative advertising at its best - they might even win a Cleo for it (I did). I love how people think we all can change over to electric power when the technology has not progressed past the infancy stage. All this effort would be better served to develop an infrastructure for natural gas which is plentiful and clean burning. "Truthful" on what planet?

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,710 Posts
Quote:
I think you have that backwards. People were using electric vehicles in the 1800s, but soon found that they could go further faster and refuel in a few minutes with gas engines.

BTW I would be glad to drive a tesla (at least for the trips that it can handle) if you want to buy it for me.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:27 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
I feel the same about the Volt. I'd love to have one to test drive with no financial commitment. We'd easily get 80% of our mileage without running the gas engine, yet never have range anxiety when we needed to use the vehicle for long trips. I think the railroads have pretty well established the value of IC electric drive, going way back to the 1930's.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:55 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I would love nothing more than not having to put $150 at a time in my tank every time I fill up. Today, the premium gas was $4.99 at the pump. My business makes it necessary to travel and haul equipment 200 to 300 miles a day at times and I dont even leave Los Angeles county... I would love for my truck to be electric for many reasons but it is not a reality. BTW, saw a Tesla yesterday. Nice looking car, why do most EV cars look so cosmetically challenged? By throwing on a nice looking body (in my opinion) many more would consider these vehicles.

Harry
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,396 Posts
Hybird (Volt, Prius, etc.) -- novel?

About as novel as a WWII submarine!

They didn't go far (or as fast) on batteries either.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Hybird (Volt, Prius, etc.) -- novel?

About as novel as a WWII submarine!

They didn't go far (or as fast) on batteries either.
Sorry, don't get your point. What are you talking about? As a general user, we will never be introduced to what the military is using. Have you seen the budget for this? We are the end user.

Harry
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I wouldn't mind an electric motor running my car if it had a fuel tank that would last the life of the vehicle, had 400+ mile range, and could be refueled in 5 minutes.

Mark
That is a nice dream Mark.
But we all know electric vehicles have a long way to go to get there.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,881 Posts
Very true Roger.

Likely not to happen for several decades unless there is a dramatic, disruptive breakthrough in electron storage technology. For now, viable and cost-effective electric vehicle replacement of IC vehicles is pure fantasy. And, based upon current and foreseeable electrochemical battery technology, you and I will be driving internal combustion automobiles for a long time to come, unless we're on a golf course or puttering about on a scooter....

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2005
80 Posts
I just test drove a Chevy Volt for one morning. I took it home to see if I could carry my airplanes in it as well as I can my Cruze. I can. The car is fantastic, and I want one! Not badly enough to spend $403 for a 36 month lease. Since I rarely drive more than 40 miles per day, I would use little gas. Even when I did, the 37 rated mpg is about the same as my current car. My impression is that I am shocked that GM has developed such a completely refined car at this early stage of development. A total treat to drive.
allena99 is offline Find More Posts by allena99
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
That is a nice dream Mark.
But we all know electric vehicles have a long way to go to get there.
No they don't. Logistically somewhat, technologically not at all--it's already fully here. Almost 400mi. range is here and quick-swap batteries, which are already in use in other countries, make charge time meaningless--as well as range, for most people. And it can all be powered off renewable energy quite easily if we'd hurry up and massively install it.

It's all 100% possible today but nobody wants to do it (well, some do) because of all sorts of reasons--none of which are relevant or honorable at all. Continued use of petroleum is somewhat immoral, at this point. Countries that are smart and efficient are doing EV's, solar/wind power, etc., and pushing it. Continents that are dumb and corrupt in this regard (N. America) aren't. That's the only hurdle at this point.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I would really like to see these quick swap batteries. Do you have a link? Gas prices just went up again today. $5.35 for regular down the street. I might just start using some of my lipos and rig something up.

Harry
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:24 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/i...s-charging-st/

Keep in mind this is old news. There are no barriers of any sort to a superior, cleaner and more efficient and sustainable auto paradigm today, other than stupidity. In many cases the use of cars is pretty stupid as well, and more efficient alternate forms of transportation and urban planning need to be implemented, but that's a different issue.