HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
SMASH AND DASH :)
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Feb 2011
83 Posts
Question
BUSA 1/4 scale Cub servo....

I have a 1/4 scale Cub, Now, for the airlons would I be okay just to use standard servos?
hobbiconexstar is offline Find More Posts by hobbiconexstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:26 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Standard size servo? YES!

Ask your self this question. Why would I go cheap with a standard torque rating such as 40-50oz when a 88oz Hitec 5485 only cost 25.00 and you can find them used for 18-20 ea? Most of the standard servos are around 10-15 dollars. So you go and put 30.00 bucks in the ailerons and crash a 1,000 dollars because you wanted to save 20.00 bucks! I always think about safety first and that dose'nt mean just prop and croud control. It also means building an airplane with equipment rated higher than what's called for. That stripped out servo can end up in someons windshield or blechers with a croud in them. Just something to think about.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,216 Posts
So when you buy a new radio and get four servos with it,throw those cheap things out with the trash,because they will cause someone to DIE!!!!??????

Sorry-didn't mean to get carried away there,but sometimes it gets to me !

I have three 1/4 scale Cubs,and a fourth under construction....All have 54oz output servos from various manufacturers.
1 has a Saito 1.80,one has an OS.91,and one has a DLE20 just being installed.

Did you ever consider how much torque 54 ounces is? It's around 3-1/2 lbs.! I don't think anyone here would just hang 3-1/2 lbs on an aileron for fun,but that's the torque capability of a 54 oz servo.....with different control horns and output arms you can increase the power even more.

Blanket statements condemning standard servos as unsafe need to be reconsidered....If I bought 32 servos to replace all the ones in my fleet of Cubs alone,it would cost me $920.!...and after flying Cubs for nearly 40 years,I've developed a sense of what's safe or not..
So fly your standard servo powered model in a safe manner,and you'll be fine.
And no- you don't need 6 volts either !

-Climbing down from soapbox-
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Your missing the boat (plane) here.

The question was is standard servos ok to use? I was only offering my opinion, and my opinion is this. I would not put standard servos in a 1/4 scale cub. In fact I used standard servos in my .60 size P-47 and have replaced gears twice and a throttle servo once. I now have JR DS821's in it all the way around and have no problems at all. If you want to use standard servos in your 1,000.00 dollar airplane then that's you. Me, I will always go with somthing a little better than what's suggested. I do not want a 10.00 servo bringing down my hard work and hard earned money. Not to mention yes when out of control is an unsafe flying machine that could end up anywhere. P-47 perffect axample!
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
I concur with both epoxyearl and rjstrickjr... I understand each opinion. As far as your decision hobbiconexstar, you now have two opinion of equal importance. My Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub has Futaba 3003's in the wings and is the most reliable bird in my hangar.
Quarterscaler19 is offline Find More Posts by Quarterscaler19
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,189 Posts
I have standard servos in a few of my 1/4 scale birds. I have not encountered any problems.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump