HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Discussion
Rise of Flight WW1 flight simulator

While it's not a great tool for learning rc per se; anyone interested in flight sims, or with a love for those amazing old ww1 planes, should check out rise of flight. It's made some great strides with continuing updates. Great graphics and modeling for single and multiplayer games using fighter scouts and a couple of the big bombers (HP 0/400 and Gotha).

Some nice YouTube vids showing off the programs graphics, players tactics, silly stunts and custom skins; both historical and fanciful.

Riseofflight.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=sIhQlHuUcnI

Enjoy!
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:55 PM
Manfred
Australia, SA, Pooraka
Joined Sep 2010
61 Posts
I cant get mine to work :/
Wassup playa is offline Find More Posts by Wassup playa
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:07 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
This is the best game since old school Red Baron (from Dynamix/Sierra) IMO. The newest version added missions and such.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
I'm a fan, got it about 3wks ago. Best. FlightSim. Ever.

Really cool community, too, very helpful, very friendly, often quite funny. Reminds me of the slope forum here

Rise of Flight - Inverted Bridge Pass in SPAD XIII (0 min 48 sec)

(The engine cuts out because these early WWI bipes didn't have pressurized fuel systems... most realistic sim ever, better be good with your rudder!)

S!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
I was playing this about a year ago when it was first released for download and it's certainly no MS Combat Flight Simulator that's for sure - ripping the wings of your opponents with just a few carefully aimed shots.

This is more your typical dogfight with near endless chasing, not a single kill and ultimately ending in violently running out of height...
Rise of Flight Multiplayer: Fighting in the N17 (9 min 20 sec)

Pretty much the only thing I ever managed to take down were slow moving bombers when I could get up real close.
Look elsewhere if you want instant gratification. It's hard!!

That said, the graphics and realism are excellent and that strip of charred landscape that was the frontline with its winding trenches and lingering low level clouds of gunsmoke and dirt brought home the hell on earth that was WW1.

In the end I preferred to dispense with the dogfights and missions and just danced around the beautifully rendered clouds in the gloriously blue skys above the lush green landscape. How I would love to do that in an open cockpit.

That often made me wonder whether the short lived flyers of WW1 actually got to enjoy the new world of flight in-between the terrifying battles??
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Rise of Flight WW1 Simulator ROF

Nice video--it really heats up about 6 minutes in when you run out of altitude.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I need to get a new computer at some point so I can actually run the flight simulators I have close to their potential.

Anyone know if this one supports head tracking software?
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2009
230 Posts
Yes, rise of flight does support head tracking (trackir, freetrack, etc)-- it a very popular option. Haven't taken the plunge myself-- but it seems to add alot to the immersive experience. With the new gunsight options the sense of being in a 3d space should be even further enhanced; in addition to more naturally being able to track bogies, lean around and out to look below, etc.

I think there is a free two week trial demo on the website.

The game also supports teamspeak and ventrillo for online voice comms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
Yes, rise of flight does support head tracking (trackir, freetrack, etc)-- it a very popular option. Haven't taken the plunge myself-- but it seems to add alot to the immersive experience. With the new gunsight options the sense of being in a 3d space should be even further enhanced; in addition to more naturally being able to track bogies, lean around and out to look below, etc.

I think there is a free two week trial demo on the website.

The game also supports teamspeak and ventrillo for online voice comms.
I have a couple other full-scale simulators (Condor and X-Plane) and last year I decided to try freetrack. I just used my keychain USB camera as a webcam and made a cheap hat with 3 LEDs on it. All-in-all the setup probably cost me about $10. I can tell you it's definitely worth giving it a try. It makes the gameplay so much more immersive and enjoyable.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I've got the 'other' WWI flight sim, Over Flanders Fields. I have to say that the Campaign mode in "dead is dead" is really challenging. I've lost 7 pilots already. I also mod for SDOE's freeware sim FS-WWI. All thse sims are fantastic.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
A video from Over Flander's Fields.

OFF Guick Combat, Fee vs. 3 Albatros DII.avi (7 min 26 sec)
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old May 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Ok ... I guess its ok to post these ...

One thing I love about flight sims ... Great way to test paint schemes ...

I love painting up skins ... these are just a few of what I have done ...
I also have done skins for RFactor Racing Sim along with making around 15 Race Tracks for that sim ...

D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:51 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassup playa View Post
I cant get mine to work :/
Try emailing the game developers and join the online ROF Forum. I had trouble getting mine to run and the game developer emaile d me telling me what I needed. Turned out to be a simple thing: I needed to upgrade my video/graphics card. Cost about $40 to get the right one and about an hour to install and load the drivers. Great game and worth the effort to get running.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303