HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
60 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite DHC-2 Beaver as trainer?

Hey all,

Just after some opinions on whether the DHC-2 Beaver is feasible for someone who has never flown RC before?

Its kinds of too late as I have already bought built the plane but just wondering if I should buy a cheap foamy or something before I attempt to take this to the air

I've flown basic FP heli's so im not a total RC newb, just not had anything to do with planes before.

Cheers,
Ash
Ashhash is offline Find More Posts by Ashhash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Yes do not fly it, helicopters and planes are not as similar as you would think. I would go and by yourself a Hobbyzone Champ and when you master that, you could attempt the DHC-2 after with a experienced pilot nearby .
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:29 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,360 Posts
The Beaver is not an easy plane to fly. It has a fairly high wing loading and the ability to 'bite' the pilot if he's/she's not on top of it all the time.
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Yeah, I agree totally. You're basically heading for the same mistake that I made: I had a lot, and I mean A LOT of time on a flight sim, and I got over confident and went straight to a sport plane (Eflite Pulse XT 25e) instead of a trainer. It lasted about 6 flights before it got totaled. The Eflite Beaver is bigger, heavier, much more expensive, and has a lower power-to-weight ratio and so would be even harder to fly than the Pulse was. And the Pulse wasn't easy (for a beginner).

You, however, are already better off than I, at least you've actually flown real R/C aircraft and not just had time on a Simulator. But I wouldn't risk the Beaver. Save it until you are very confident with your abilities with a trainer (dozens and dozens of successful flights). The DHC Beaver is too big and pretty to crunch up (and MUCH too expensive!).

Definitely get a foam trainer to start with. I would suggest the Eflite Apprentice 15e; it comes in two versions, RTF (with a DX5e radio) or a PNP if you already have a radio for your DHC Beaver. If you're good with Heli's then transitioning to airplanes won't be that hard, but it will be different.
SandHog is offline Find More Posts by SandHog
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
The Beaver is no trainer as has been pointed out. It is a wonderful airplane and while not difficult to fly it would not be a first good fixed wing plane IMHO.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I just built one and its one of the the hardest plane to master and I have a slew of planes! It turns like a Mac Truck and likes to tip stall. Its a fun challange but ONLY after you master general flight. You need rudder with aileron for turns and the plane climbs with flaps down.

The BEST electric trainer bar none is the eflite alpha 450 RTF. Hands down the BEST plane to learn to fly on. I still have mine and I still enjoy a relaxing flight using it. Its almost impossible to stall and it self rights after a turn. a pure joy to fly...Id do the Alpha before a foam plane. Foam trainer planes can be real twitchy unless its dead calm. The Alpha is a trainer that doesnt look like a trainer.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Last edited by hidaven; Jan 14, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Sand hog

I have a pulse 25 as well as a pulse 60. Save up and get the 60. Its the smoothest "big" plane you will ever fly. Much easier than the 25. It is the most simulator like plane I have flown to date. Smooth landings, hard to tip stall. A real dream to fly. I have a scorpion motor in it running a 15x8 getting 1850 watts. Great verticle, again its the nicest easiest most stable plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHog View Post
Yeah, I agree totally. You're basically heading for the same mistake that I made: I had a lot, and I mean A LOT of time on a flight sim, and I got over confident and went straight to a sport plane (Eflite Pulse XT 25e) instead of a trainer. It lasted about 6 flights before it got totaled. The Eflite Beaver is bigger, heavier, much more expensive, and has a lower power-to-weight ratio and so would be even harder to fly than the Pulse was. And the Pulse wasn't easy (for a beginner).

You, however, are already better off than I, at least you've actually flown real R/C aircraft and not just had time on a Simulator. But I wouldn't risk the Beaver. Save it until you are very confident with your abilities with a trainer (dozens and dozens of successful flights). The DHC Beaver is too big and pretty to crunch up (and MUCH too expensive!).

Definitely get a foam trainer to start with. I would suggest the Eflite Apprentice 15e; it comes in two versions, RTF (with a DX5e radio) or a PNP if you already have a radio for your DHC Beaver. If you're good with Heli's then transitioning to airplanes won't be that hard, but it will be different.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The BEST electric trainer bar none is the eflite alpha 450 RTF. Hands down the BEST plane to learn to fly on. ...
The only thing I'd object to about going with the Alpha 450 is it's going to take an entirely different set of electronics than the DHC Beaver. Different motor, ESC, servo set, and batteries. Granted, you'd have another airplane, but one thing I really like about the Apprentice: it can take the same battery size(s) as the DHC Beaver would use, 3000mAh - 4000mAh 3s or 4s (depending on your chosen motor and prop for the DHC Beaver). The little Alpha 450 is going to use a tiny battery by comparison, and really wouldn't be useful in the Beaver. If you're made of money, then go for it, but I prefer sticking with a size range of airplanes that all take the same batteries.

That Pulse 60 sounds really nice, but again, I'd have to get an entirely new set of batteries (as well as motor and ESC) to use it. If I ever get into airplanes that big, I'll probably go nitro or gas. Batteries are way too expensive to lose in a crash. (been there, done that )
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Come on....no one in this hobby has only one or 2 planes...lol
Unless the OP is dead set on the beaver, I wouldnt even consider it for a 2nd plane!
If he gets the Alpha 450 he has a great plane that he will fly for years if he chooses. it will help him get his bearings and practice all the entry level proceedures he reads about. Now, the other thing about the beaver is that its not an easy build. Flaps are a challange and all the linkages are INTERNAL. I think the Alpha and then the Pulse 25 as a second low wing trainer would be a great start. Both can use 3s batteries. The beaver is work to fly and needs constant attention. its more challanging than pure fun. Id forget it until you have a few more builds under your belt and have mastered the high wing and low wing trainers...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Yes, both the Pulse 25e and the Alpha can use 3s batteries, but what is the biggest battery that you've used in the Alpha? The specs call for 1800mAh - 2100mAh 3s.

The smallest battery that I would want to use in the Pulse 25 would probably be a 2500mAh 3s 30C. Much lower capacity (or C rating) and you'd risk damaging the battery by pulling too much current out of it too fast. Either that or the plane would be way underpowered. If the Alpha could take 2500mAh 3s 30C batteries, you'd be fine sharing that between the planes, but I still wouldn't want to put even that battery in the DHC Beaver. I'd want 3000mAh or bigger, and not 3s, but 4s in that one so you'd have adequate power.

And no, I don't only have two planes; I'm on my ninth, with 5 still flight worthy.
I'm not saying "don't get the Alpha", I'm just putting in my reasoning for thinking that the Apprentice is maybe a better choice. Fewer batteries to buy, and the 3000mAh (or bigger) 4s batteries that I would use in a DHC Beaver will work in the Apprentice just fine. Besides, for a trainer airplane, foam is somewhat more forgiving than wood for light crashes or rough landings.
Last edited by SandHog; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2007
60 Posts
Thanks everyone, pretty glad I got some feedback from you all before I attempted to fly it!
Ashhash is offline Find More Posts by Ashhash
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:33 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Another opinion, Ash

Over the past three years I'm still learning and now have a dozen planes. The learning curve never ends with plenty of surprises.

I recommend learning to fly with the good old HZ SuperCub LP which is most popular for lots of reasons. It is a standard park size plane that is forgiving, durable and easy and cheap to fix. 3ch, but once you learn to fly it well so it goes exactly where you want without having to think about how to do it, you'll be ready for the Alpha 450 or Beaver or similar plane.

In not long you'll learn lots and have more planes, batts and other stuff than you have room for

Happy flying

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:44 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
158 Posts
I have one of these and lots of other planes. It is not a bad plane once you get it in the air but I have found it has some really bad habits when taking off. It is the first plane that I have found that is easier to land than take off. Landing with flaps down and some elevator down mix is a wonderous sight, very slow and gentle. Getting it to take off, well that is another story, mine always wants to rise before it is ready and torque roll if you try to power out of it. For mine you have to make it sit on the ground and get good speed befoure you lift off slowly. Not sure what others, experiences is in this ares. (and would like to hear comments). I have been over this plane and had others check it for balance, CG, wing warp, etc. and it just is not a great take off plane is best I can tell. Mine has a eflite 32 in it. Tried various probs but right now using APC 13x6.5 with 4 cell 3800 battery. I fly at half throttle or just under most of the time.

It is not a difficult plane to fly after it is up but it is not a trainer at all or in my opionion a first or second plane.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
The ground looping on mine is off the charts.....
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Try the GWS Beaver (cheap at $40) first. Can float and fly level at 6 mph or go up and do loops if you wish.
GWS DHC 2 Beaver takes off like a rocket, vertical climb out and floats on slows flights (5 min 26 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres