48 Edge.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:08 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,582 Posts
unless you have unlimited source of funds I'd go 48 edge because it won't hurt the pocket so much when you dump it in. I wouldn't say it was impossible to learn without crashing but it's highly improbable. Because if your not pushing your limits you're not really going to learn much.

I do think the edge is the best learning platform but that's my opinion
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,206 Posts
Edge...

No balsa plane is built to crash, but if you know how to land, and you learn a maneuver before bringing it inches off the deck, you can go a long time without crashing an airplane. You also have to impact the ground at a pretty high speed to total one of these babies. Even with Tom doing rolling elevators to landing, and trying to tough eight tips of the plane on the ground, we've replaced a wing and an LG frame on four EXP's in 18 months. Of course, there has been several repairs.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
looking at getting my first balsa 3d plane. i have a twisted hobbys epp ive been practicing on. also have a 47" osiris on the way, thatll be my first balsa plane.

which EF plane would you guys recommend as a first 3d balsa? was looking at something in the 48 or 60" exp series.
How is your hand eye coordination? How is your rudder usage in all orientations? Your ability to crash/ditch? (If you learn to crash well, you can mitigate damage. E.g., use a throttle kill switch, make the best out of a bad situation, never give up but know when to give up).

If you have good hand eye coordination, haven't crashed, and are comfortable flying, and practice on the simulator and / or years of experience to the point where you know how to do cross wind landings, S-turns, side slips, etc. (watch full scale videos on these @ youtube), and fly around inverted, fly with high rates and huge throws...I'd get the 64" MXS with 7245s. It is the best, and you might as well get the best.

But then again, I buck conventional wisdom, shun the idea of buddy boxing, etc.

But, to be honest, I'd recommend a 64" MXS *and* a 48" Skywing MXS, Winner's model Extra, or other 48" EPP foam 3D plane,--use the foam plane to practice low without the nerves but in a more realistic environment than a flight simulator can provide. I'd also recommend, depending on where you are at, a PZ T-28 with a power 10 or equivalent with maximum throws and a reinforced wing. I still have one of these, and fly it almost every time I go to the field. Another thing that worked well for me is a crash test hobbies widowmaker, which, while not having a rudder, I found to be a great warm up plane without a lot of risk in the event of a crash--this plane is designed to crash, and is fast and responsive.

My son's first balsa plane was the EF Extra 300 EXP 48". He still flies it, and still loves it. My first non-hybrid 3D plane was the extra 300 EXP 60". He's eagerly waiting for the Yak to come out. The younger you are, and the better your hand eye coordination and ability to build muscle memory, the more likely you'll be successful, earlier. As for me, I'm still learning 3D, am way behind my son, even though I have a lot more stick time than him.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
What have you flown besides the twisted hobbies epp plane? One of things i have seen from a local guy jumping from ultra micros into larger planes is that with the UM and EPP planes you dont need to learn to takeoff/land. Not going to say these planes are really hard to do either but landing does take a little bit of practice.

If you have experience with other planes then by all means the extra, edge, or laser are ALL excellent choices, if your confident in your abilities and have the cash flow get the bigger plane, you will get tired of the smaller stuff after a while. If you dont have experience you may want to take an intermediate step and pick up one of the skywing planes from exilehobbies
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Before jumping to my 48" Edge I got a mini ultra stick to pratice. Its fairly cheap and easy to repair.
kellyzo6 is online now Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,582 Posts
I will add only this. The pucker factor is a big part of flying 3D. I think it pretty much defines the whole fly lower mentality. If it wasn't such a thrill to hover an $800 investment a few inches off the ground or do rollers so low that you couldn't fit a popsicle stick between the tail and the ground well, OK that's not me, YET but seriously how many people would really be doing it. I say $800 because with top shelf gear that's about what I have into my 64" MXS. But that's not really the replacement cost if you crash. In most instances worst case you buy a new airframe for under $300 delivered and put your gear in it. It is more than possible if you don't have the hand eye thing and commitment to fly it until you can't, to destroy a motor ESC ans servos. I have crashed many planes over the years. But I have found one common denominator for me. There is a moment that occurs every time where in I know I'm going to hit. It is your ability to react in the exact moment that can allow you to mitigate impact damages. Back in the day I crashed and repaired a few so many times that it just can't take another repair and I retired them. I have only all out destroyed 2 airframes. Both were due to not accepting the inevitable in that moment.

Lonewolf said it pretty well with
Quote:
never give up but know when to give up
I love it's simplicity

Basically I am in agreement with LW on the 64" MXS. I absolutely think it's the finest airframe out there providing the whole shebang. Precision when you want it, extreme 3D with the flip of a rate switch. Stable harrier and let's not forget the WOW factor of how it looks. Totally eye popping good looks and for me anyway what's an extra C note if the worst happens. Nada but that's me

In the end just pick the one you think looks the best. you won't regret it I'm sure
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
48" Edge or 60" Edge. They're too easy. If foam is all you know, you'll love these babies . The 48" is badass and the 60" is bigger, and therefore flies a little "smoother" because it's bigger, has a slightly slower roll rate, uses more sky, etc. It's great.

Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__First Flight In A While (5 min 2 sec)

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
Before jumping to my 48" Edge I got a mini ultra stick to pratice. Its fairly cheap and easy to repair.
Put a 480 on it and when you are fearless with that you'll be ready for anything.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jan 06, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Put a 480 on it and when you are fearless with that you'll be ready for anything.
Agreed! 48" Edge is the place to start.. Great little bird, even on 3s..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Agreed! 48" Edge is the place to start.. Great little bird, even on 3s..
I just got a 13x6.5 and a 14x6 and I'm going to try 3S this weekend on my Edge. I want to see how the bigger discs feels to me.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Just don't use the cheap servos on it. I found out the hard way.
kellyzo6 is online now Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
well..... i started out with a HZ Super cub and then a PZ t-28 trojan. i can crab land pretty decent with the trojan. where i fly at has a 100ft. x 30 ft concrete pad thats around 8" above the ground. thats where I usually take off and land. did have some UM micros i used landing gear on those. i have a 47" Osiris on the way, should be here soon. I got it to learn precision, then i would like to use that to fly precision 3d. thats my goal.

now ive only been flying for a total of alil more than 3 months BUT ive totally immersed myself into flying. i have flew just about everyday in those 3+ months. and when im not flying im on the simulator. havent had a crash yet *fingers crossed. my hand eye coordination i would have to say is pretty darn good. in about a month of having the epp edge i can hover, snap to hover, blenders, pop tops, harriers, elevators, parachutes, intermediate to some advanced aerobatics with it and the trojan. um let me see, i can inverted flat spin, ive practiced spin and stall recoverys. and are pretty quick on the sticks to pull out of manuveurs. most of the 3d i do know i do low on the deck, of course im sure i wouldnt be as brave with a balsa plane, right off the bat. been practice'n lately just flying inverted on epp and sim. think i pretty much stick movements stuck in my head. sure ill have a dumbthumb(fingers) moment sometime with something.

all of my flying buddys have been flying for years, they will all tell you i can already out fly them. but they arent into 3d, yet. after seeing me fly my edge they are all n the process of building an epp. when im not at work, im either flying or learning about planes and flying. they are amazed how far ive came in 3 months. i have scott stoops book, which has helped me greatly. i only wish i didnt live in the middle of the sticks in West Virginia. I wish i could fly with pilots that fly 3d and precision. i know i could learning even faster.

but after saying all of that, i know i still have A TREMENDOUS TO LEARN. Im trying to play catch-up with you guys that have already been flying 3d and precision. trying to do it as fast but logical with as few mistakes as i can.

i really appreciate all of the replys and advice. I know ill definetly need it in my noobular adventures into 3d. Im sure ill have many more questions. thanks fellers.

oh yea atm the past few days ive been working on point rolls on the sim and epp pretty happy so far with my progress but if anybody has any pointers i appreciate it.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Last edited by wedoitall; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding a ?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
48" Edge or 60" Edge. They're too easy. If foam is all you know, you'll love these babies . The 48" is badass and the 60" is bigger, and therefore flies a little "smoother" because it's bigger, has a slightly slower roll rate, uses more sky, etc. It's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhSW...JO_LaQ&index=4

--Tom K.
sweet video. hey do you have any instructional videos floating around on youtube? your name looks familar. if so your video help me learn to pop top. if so , thank you kind sir.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Don't even bother looking at another plane till you have mastered that pattern plane.

The best 3d fliers are pattern fliers.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz