Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:33 PM
Joined Dec 2009
183 Posts
Discussion
Walkera Ufly vs Esky HB FP V2 vs Falcon 40

1. Walkera Ufly
2. Esky HB FP V2
3. Exceed Falcon 40

Which one of these would you pick for a beginner moving from the MSR? The only criteria is easiest to fly. Don't worry about parts support as it will be online most likely.
jedi391 is offline Find More Posts by jedi391
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2010, 05:50 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
if you can fly one you can fly the rest .. the ufly is probably the nicest chopper .. falcon40 would be my last choice ... hbfp would be easiest and quickest most likely, to get parts for... if you dont have a simulator now is the time to get one of those to.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:06 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I have flown the HBFP and I have 2 Ufly's. I have never flown a Falcon 40 so I have no opinion on that one. IMO, the Ufly is a better choice for a couple of reasons. First, I think it is more stable and easier to fly. The shaft drive VP tail is awesome. Second, the stock electronics for the Ufly work very nicely. The HBFP was not so good with electronics and I hated the Tx. Just my opinion.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
For a beginner, the HBFP is far cheaper, more durable and cheaper to repair. It has lots of upgrade parts available, the UFly has none. I can equip an HBFP with wooden blades and a Bell-hiller head, which will yield far better performance than convex plastic blades and a Hiller head. The GuruZ-Neon/Xeon kit provides a beltdrive tail that's compatible with Trex 450 parts, usually available at your LHS. A GuruZ-Xeon HBFP with a brushless motor, Xtreme 6 degree wooden blades and Xtreme Bell-Hiller head will do everything as well as a CP heli, but inverted.

On the UFly, you can replace motors. If that's all you want to do, go for it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 03, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
For a beginner, the HBFP is far cheaper, more durable and cheaper to repair. It has lots of upgrade parts available, the UFly has none. I can equip an HBFP with wooden blades and a Bell-hiller head, which will yield far better performance than convex plastic blades and a Hiller head. The GuruZ-Neon/Xeon kit provides a beltdrive tail that's compatible with Trex 450 parts, usually available at your LHS. A GuruZ-Xeon HBFP with a brushless motor, Xtreme 6 degree wooden blades and Xtreme Bell-Hiller head will do everything as well as a CP heli, but inverted.

On the UFly, you can replace motors. If that's all you want to do, go for it.
alot of people have said its hard to fly the HBFP
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer1 View Post
alot of people have said its hard to fly the HBFP
Those people aren't lying. It's the design. The UFly will be very similar. They are both 300 size FP helis with convex plastic blades, Hiller heads and low headspeeds. This design has inherently slow and sloppy response, is unstable and tends to float. There may be some minor differences in response due to weight, distribution and tolerances, but it's unlikely to help a beginner and won't result in significant performance differences.

There's nothing you are going to do to make this configuration a great flyer. The HBFP is simply a great crasher. Most crashes result in no damage. If you do break something, odds are it will cost less than $4 to fix. It has a very long track record of high durablity and cheap repairs. The Ufly has none.
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2009
183 Posts
Well I can't go bigger sonic this class really flies this bad should I just go CB180d? All I really want is a heli that's a bit bigger then the MSR that I can fly around the backyard and park....no aerobatics just decent forward flight. Is the CB180d that much easier to fly? This is a hard decision....
jedi391 is offline Find More Posts by jedi391
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
Well I can't go bigger sonic this class really flies this bad should I just go CB180d? All I really want is a heli that's a bit bigger then the MSR that I can fly around the backyard and park....no aerobatics just decent forward flight. Is the CB180d that much easier to fly? This is a hard decision....
It's slower than your MSR and handles wind about as well. It also requires motor and tail drive upgrades. Exceed has a version of it, too. Walkera does not license current models to other vendors, so that means it's likely they have an upgraded version coming. FYI, the Falcon 40 is the obsolete Walkera dragonfly #4.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 03, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 04:09 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Those people aren't lying. It's the design. The UFly will be very similar. They are both 300 size FP helis with convex plastic blades, Hiller heads and low headspeeds. This design has inherently slow and sloppy response, is unstable and tends to float. There may be some minor differences in response due to weight, distribution and tolerances, but it's unlikely to help a beginner and won't result in significant performance differences.

There's nothing you are going to do to make this configuration a great flyer. The HBFP is simply a great crasher. Most crashes result in no damage. If you do break something, odds are it will cost less than $4 to fix. It has a very long track record of high durablity and cheap repairs. The Ufly has none.
are you talking about the HBFP V2 .
i know the ufly is quite new but have you had the chance to fly the ufly? what would you say is the best heli for someone making a next step from say the cb100 or msr to something for outside like the park ?
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:26 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
Quote:
are you talking about the HBFP V2 .
i know the ufly is quite new but have you had the chance to fly the ufly? what would you say is the best heli for someone making a next step from say the cb100 or msr to something for outside like the park ?
The HBFP, HBFP V2, Falcon 40 and UFly are all 300 size FP helis, with convex blades, Hiller heads and low head speed. I have flown the first 3, there's not enough difference to matter. The Ufly will be no different. There's no magic formula that will dramatically alter the flight characteristics of this design configuration. Belt drive or shaft drive tails are very nice features to have, but for a beginner it's just something expensive to damage.

It doesn't matter what you choose, the next step is a large one. How much is it worth to you to make it less difficult? You really should be asking this in the beginner's forum. I don't have a lot of money to spend at once and I like FP helis because of their simplicity and low repair costs; hence the Quark and GuruZs in my signature. If I had the money, I'd probably add a UFly to my "fleet" just to have one. But, there are many options based on your objectives and budget. FP helis are not easy to fly. A CP heli may be a better choice for you.

Edit: I see you did ask this in the beginners forum.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 04, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:07 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
The HBFP, HBFP V2, Falcon 40 and UFly are all 300 size FP helis, with convex blades, Hiller heads and low head speed. I have flown the first 3, there's not enough difference to matter. The Ufly will be no different. There's no magic formula that will dramatically alter the flight characteristics of this design configuration. Belt drive or shaft drive tails are very nice features to have, but for a beginner it's just something expensive to damage.

It doesn't matter what you choose, the next step is a large one. How much is it worth to you to make it less difficult? You really should be asking this in the beginner's forum. I don't have a lot of money to spend at once and I like FP helis because of their simplicity and low repair costs; hence the Quark and GuruZs in my signature. If I had the money, I'd probably add a UFly to my "fleet" just to have one. But, there are many options based on your objectives and budget. FP helis are not easy to fly. A CP heli may be a better choice for you.

Edit: I see you did ask this in the beginners forum.
this is the point where a get conflicting advice you say CP are easyer than FP but then others say FP to start with
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Jan 2009
480 Posts
Quote:
A CP heli may be a better choice for you.
At the 300 or smaller size, I really don't think this would be a good idea.

At your experience level, I'd probably go with the HBFP. If you're comfortable with the mSR, I don't think you will gain much from the CB100; though, you could consider the 4#3B. Also, there is the Hirobo SRB Quark if you can manage the upfront cost.
suraki is offline Find More Posts by suraki
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suraki View Post
At the 300 or smaller size, I really don't think this would be a good idea.

At your experience level, I'd probably go with the HBFP. If you're comfortable with the mSR, I don't think you will gain much from the CB100; though, you could consider the 4#3B. Also, there is the Hirobo SRB Quark if you can manage the upfront cost.
i have msr and cb100 and there nice for indoor and some times out side, but im looking for something that is the next step but i can fly more out doors , i do like the HBFP V2 but i was hoping it would have brushless motors . i know theres upgrades but i would rather have it on ready, but i guess a lot of people have said the HBFP is a good next step .
Old Jan 04, 2010, 11:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,348 Posts
Quote:
this is the point where a get conflicting advice you say CP are easyer than FP but then others say FP to start with
That's because they didn't do their homework and bought something they shouldn't have because the price was right. They also overlooked the "bigger is always better" rule. FP is always going to be cheaper to buy and fix. If your choices are solely driven by budget, FP is for you.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
480 Posts
I think it would be more accurate to state that "bigger is generally more stable" and not everyone prioritizes stability in a heli. I personally generally prefer the challenge of managing smaller helis. Then there is versatility: larger helis do not fit well in most back yards (nevermind indoors), which is what many of us want and the OP specifically requested. My back yard is a little over 4,000 sq ft and I find it too small to do much with my King III, at least at my current skill level. The HBFP is negligibly smaller, but offers the best compromise in terms of stability and versatility alone -- certainly enough to gain the proficiency required not to spend an hour on the bench for every five minutes of flight, which brings me to my next point. Going with FP over CP is not just about cost, it's about learning efficiency. Starting with a CP will result in significantly more time fixing than flying while starting with FP will tend heavily toward the opposite.
suraki is offline Find More Posts by suraki