HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
From my recollection, two relatively minor issues were a big reason for a push for custom firmware: 1) The "Mode" typo (which has caused enormous confusion considering "Mode 1" means something completely different!) and 2) The very high default (and non-changeable) low-voltage battery alarm.

For those two stupid mistakes... I say, "thank you Flysky" It has led to VAST improvements in every aspect.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
What getting me is that the up,down, left and right button has a different funtion in most menus. How does anyone rememeber this if your not in those menu all the time
It's not that hard, but it IS irritating.
I used the stock firmware for one season and was able to work around such irritations. But that was for simple models. It was such a relief to go to the logical setup of ER9x!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined May 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
1) The "Mode" typo
2) The low-voltage battery alarm.
Good reasons, though something else pushed me over the edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock_9X
Beep.
Beep.
BeepBeepBeepBeep.
BeepBeep.
BeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeep.
BeepBeepBeep.
Beep.
iksbob is offline Find More Posts by iksbob
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:12 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
I tend to forget about that...

See, I got my 9x in the mail. I smiled, I unpacked, I carefully hooked everything up. And I said, "
well that's not going to do". About 15 seconds later I had the screws out and the speaker disconnected.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:09 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,028 Posts
some medical tape can do a quick band-aid fix to reduce that sound..

hehehe.. get it. hehehe.
evltoy is online now Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Another annoying thing about the stock firmware is trying to edit the model name. IIRC, the left arrow moved the cursor right, the right arrow moved it left, the up arrow moved it down, and the down arrow moved it up. I won't even mention the ridiculously fast high speed scrolling feature
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,963 Posts
there is no such problem navigating the model select menu. and battery alarm level is set just right for nimh cells the unit was designed for. mis-spelled "model" on the main screen is about the only error in stock firmware.

in a frenzied rush to join the software upgrade stampede many find fault where there is none. this is unfortunate because hundreds of inexperienced users have bricked their radio following bad advice. the switch to lipo is another example of gullible noobs being led down a primrose path. naturally those who have already set sail there will disagree.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Where do you get this hundreds of bricked radios number from?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
the switch to lipo is another example of gullible noobs being led down a primrose path. naturally those who have already set sail there will disagree.

Is there some logical reason you feel that one voltage source is superior to another? There are pros/cons for lipo and life batteries in a TX, certainly. However, I wouldn't call it "bad advice". Particularly when the stock AA holder has caused issues for some, including me. When I was bench testing the TX I had to play with a couple of them to get them to stay seated properly. Just my unit, maybe, but I decided I wanted a rechargeable anyway, and lipo made sense to me as I already had lipos for my planes, so I had the required charger and such.

The TX is designed to take anywhere from about 7V up to about 15V depending on the current through the regulators. I don't recall seeing much in the TX running on battery voltage directly, but rather through the 5V and 3.3V regulators on the mainboard. So as long as you aren't too low or high for the regulators, you're fine. The voltage source could be a battery, solar cell, Mr. Fusion, squirrel wheel, whatever.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Where do you get this hundreds of bricked radios number from?
two places. rcgroups and the real world. of the couple dozen or so local guys who bought a 9x half of them decided to join the upgrade pack. three of those bricked their radio upgrading firmware or lipo. two of them abandoned their dead radio and one guy persevered but was not happy with the result and went back to his old tx. of the remaining handful who left well enough alone only three continued to use the 9x for planes with the rest (me included) putting it on the shelf and using another model.

so thats around 10% of total local users and one quarter of the guys who could not leave well enough alone had trouble. i installed a couple of the smartiepants boards and also wired a couple direct for friends w/o issues but im an experienced tech so did not include myself in that statistic. i refused to help with the lipo mod and advised against it for obvious reasons.

rcgroups members appear to have better luck but i think thats due to most forum members being computer geeks and a bit more experienced. even so if you tally the dozens of these guys that did post less than favorable results and consider only 1 or 2 percent of those who lurk actually post its easy to see that the number of tragic outcomes is huge.

in fact i may modify my statement to thousands instead of just hundereds considering how many of these were sold. of these im guessing about half eventually fixed the damage. then theres the huge number of hobbyists talked into buying the radio and deciding it was too complicated.

so its great to see so many people get excited over the product but imo a lot of bad advice is being dispensed due to enthusiasm w/o appropriate caveats. i agree the 9x is a bargain but it should be made more plain that its not primarily designed as a plane radio and there are risks involved with upgrades.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Couple of dozen? How much is a couple? Are we talking about 24, 36, 48?
So 3 bricked their radio. Out of how many again?

Your statistics lack rigor. I'll point the "faulty lcd" issues that some have had. At the time there were people who were certain that fully 50% of the units had bad lcs. The poll on the other thread kinda put that to rest.

In any case I actually agree with you. For some, staying with the original FW is fine and, yes, you can control most airplanes and helis fine with it. The reasons to go with custom FW are actually different:
1) Eliminate annoying beep
2) Change the battery alarm voltage
3) Edit via a computer
4) Telemetry

I don't think that your statistics are correct. I think I have a pretty good feel for the amount of people that are successful and I'm pretty sure most do it quite easily. Especially with the Smartieparts board. Actually, most "bricking" occurred a year ago before eepe and Smartieparts.

As to the battery, there are pros and cons whichever way you go. Plugging the battery backwards seem to be a big problem but that has nothing to do with custom FW or lipos. There have been lots of reports on the stock battery holder causing problems. For that reason only it's better to go to a different pack be it lipo, life or nimh.

So, while I agree that custom FW is not for everyone I think you paint an uncorrect image.

oh, wait... I'm getting suckered into this again, aint I?
Let's agree to disagree k?
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Last edited by erazz; Mar 26, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
By your numbers you had 24 people buy the 9x and 12 of them decided to upgrade. 3 can't figure out how to plug a battery connector in the right way and burned up their radio. that leaves 9 people who upgraded and are happy with it. Then you have a remaining 12 who didn't upgrade and used it stock. Of those only 3 still use their radio and are happy leaving 9 on the shelf.

Those numbers tell me that you have far greater numbers who upgraded and are happy with the new functionality and power of their cheap radio compared to the others who didn't upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Is there some logical reason you feel that one voltage source is superior to another? There are pros/cons for lipo and life batteries in a TX, certainly.
agreed. but more cons than pros. about the only advantge is slightly less weight which is a big thing for me. but i found when using lipos in my 9x the difference was slight. in fact recently my buddy was holding mine with nixx and commented how light the "lipos" made it. power of the human mind.

weigh this against the huge number of posts in this and the other thread inquiring about what vregs to replace and charging, alram level, and safety issues. im not saying it cant be done. i tried it and went back to the type batteries it was designed for. it is a choice though.

Quote:
However, I wouldn't call it "bad advice". Particularly when the stock AA holder has caused issues for some, including me.
me too. alkalines and regular nixx worked fine but the low discharge type are known to jam because they are fatter. removing the divider in that holder solves the problem. or just use regular nimh. there is no big advantage to the lsd anyway if you use your radio at least one a week or so.

Quote:
The TX is designed to take anywhere from about 7V up to about 15V depending on the current through the regulators. I don't recall seeing much in the TX running on battery voltage directly, but rather through the 5V and 3.3V regulators on the mainboard. So as long as you aren't too low or high for the regulators, you're fine. The voltage source could be a battery, solar cell, Mr. Fusion, squirrel wheel, whatever.
or lemons and potatos as s-mack proposed.

im not saying lipo voltage is too high. this is not the problem. biggest issue is noobs being led into deep water and futzing thing up. even hotshot engineers and technicians will swap pos/neg in a moment of distraction. there is the alarm level thing too but thats just an annoyance and easily fixable anyway.

btw i do power mine from 12v video tx and 20v hitec radio warts when in the house. last year i also powered it from a cheap harbor freight solar panel at the field. no problems there.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Using your logic I would guess that there are hundreds if not thousands of broken stock 9x AA holders out there. We had huge numbers of people complain about them breaking and causing their radio to go dead in the middle of flight.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Come to think of it there are HUGE numbers of people complaining about Spektrum controlled planes diving into the dirt due to brown outs. By your calculations that must put the number of dead planes in the millions. I call for everyone to stop recommending Spektrum equipment as it is dangerous and irresponsible.