1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Discussion
Sk3 3548 rewind Q.

Hi guys,
some weeks ago one fly douring my SK3 3548 700 burned ,
I replaced with a new one,
but now I got one rest SK3 on my workbench!

So I would like to test to rewind it, to learn something new.
I dismounted it easily following forum advices,
but now I need some help.
1) Witch kind of wire I got to look for?
2) Were to buy wire?
4) How many turns with this wire?
5) How to connect the wires to have 3 pins for the ESC?
6) Is it DELTA?
7) Some Tips to improve the final result?

Suggestions and advices are really welcome.

thank you
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2013, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by zeroback
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/sch/tech-fixx/m....&_trksid=p3686
1) 2) This is the good stuff.
4) How many turn came off?
5)6) Most motors of this nature are connected delta this will be discovered when unwinding it. If the six wires are twisted into pairs to create 3 wires (which connect to ESC) that's delta. If three wire are twisted together and soldered and then the other three wire go to the ESC that is star/wye. The three wires soldered together in the star termination is commonly referred to as the bundle.
7) Use the largest gauge wire possible for the amount of turns chosen to fill the stator with as much copper as possible. Neatness counts as it allows for the use of the largest possible wire.
8) Enjoy a better than new motor. It may take a bit of practice the first time but once you get the technique down it is well worth the results.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; May 30, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 31, 2013, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by rosnik
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
349 Posts
Thank you ZeroBack,
I'll try to unwind the 3548 now , and I'll report here.

Thank you
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
Old May 31, 2013, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,696 Posts
You have a 12 arm stator and the type of winding for that could be either dLRK, LRK, or ABC dependng on the number of magnets. You can see that in the table here:

http://forumrc.alexba.eu/nutpol_e.htm

Because you have 14 magnets, that narrows the wind choices down to the dLRK (AacCBbaACcbB) or LRK (A-b-C-a-B-c-) winds by that table.

Your 12 arm 14 magnet motor could also be called a 12N14P in a commonly used method of designating slots (N) and magnetpoles (P).

There are other winds you could do that are not offered in that table. Like the half Parallel dLRK wind.

Here is the manual for a kit motor and that explains the LRK and dLRK winds on a 12N14P motor:

KH-257 kit motor manual - http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/...o/KH-257-2.pdf

You have relatively long stator, that would be the height as it sets in the photo, and that might make that a good candidate for a LRK wind. It also has reasonably large gaps between the magnets and that can also contribute to a good LRK wind.

How would you use it? If you intend to use it with larger props and at lower RPM as opposed to full throttle and higher RPM with smaller props that would also make the LRK wind a good choice, for higher RPM operation the dLRK would be better.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 31, 2013, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by zeroback
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
If there is excessive glue retaining the wires and they want to break versus coming loose, heat will soften the glue. Some folks use a hot air gun or the stove/oven to soften/breakdown the glue. The idea is to prevent/minimize damaging the green stuff (powder coat) as it is what prevents the coating on the magnet wire from being cut by the sharp edges. But not worry if the coating is damaged it is easily repaired. I use a plastic welder tool to pin point heat the winding when needed, although if your not planning on this becoming a habit it's not worth the investment.
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ure-96464.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ent-96712.html
If you can't get a turn count because the wires keep breaking there is a solution for that as well. Don't be surprised if the turn per tooth are different as that is common on budget motors. Get the best count you can and we'll take it from there.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)