New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by 1980lubaru
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Discussion
Century 750 yacht

Hello I'm new to the this site and the world of model sailing, I have just purchased the century 750 yacht. I completed construction no probs just need to modify mast joint as not lining up straight. I,m testing the water to see if any other owners out there have any tips or advice, and to see what they think of the yacht as a whole, many thanks lubaru1980.
1980lubaru is offline Find More Posts by 1980lubaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,554 Posts
Hi Lubaru,

Welcome to this forum!

From what I've read, the 750 seems to leak rather bad, so keep an eye on that.
Do a search on the Century and you'll find lots of facts and opinions.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:20 AM
A.J
Find More Posts by A.J
A.J
Junior User
W.A Australia
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
Hey Lubaru,

One of my mates has the Century 750. Here are some modifications I suggest you carry out to make a half decent sailor.

Firstly make/get some decent sails, the cut out cloth offcuts that come with the boat are junk.
Secondly the hatch leaks like a sieve. You will need to alter this to prevent your yacht from sinking. Waterproof all electrics with balloons, tape and whatever else you can get your hands on... this will prevent things going bang when they come into contact with water.
Thirdly depending on where you sail you may need more weight on the keel. If the most you will sail in is 10 knots then the current lead bulb should be O.K. but anything above 10 knots and the boat will struggle.
Eventually you will probably need to upgrade rigging and spars. (My mate snapped his mast in half the first time he used it in around 12-15 knots of wind.)

With the above listed mods and any other you can think of your Century 750 can become a competent little sailor.

Most importantly sail it lots and have fun

<A.J>
A.J is offline Find More Posts by A.J
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by tigerbay
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
I have seen two Century boats. Both were scrapped within a month. The mast really is the weekest link. If it does shatter, then bind it with tape and fill with CA glue is one fix.

Before you start spending a lot of money on new sails, etc. Think that it might be better to invest the money in a new boat.
You can use the boat as a learner and to discover how much you enjoy sailing. This will be a good guide as to how much you want to spend on your next boat.

The servos can be re-cycled and so can the radio gear.

The Century isn't perfect, but it will provide you with fun and will give you a good taste of RC Sailin
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Century 750 yacht

Hi all thanks for replys, will be modifying mast joint asap as well as hatch cover, nice to know problems before i sail and my boat sinks!
Will be out this bank holiday weekend to try out and see how i (+boat) do, will let you know.
ps, i have read about people saying they have spent time 'triming' this yacht to make it better? What do they mean?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by tigerbay
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Hi 1980

Basic trimming is adjusting the rigging and sails, tighten this/loosen that move this sail up a bit and that one forward a bit.
It makes it sail better.
I am sure that someone on here can point us in the direction of a website with the 'how to' of triming a yacht.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Century 750 yacht

Thankyou tigerbay need all help i can get at mo, went and got alloy tube to resolve mast joint prob today.
Think Ill see how i get on before i start messing with (trimming), hopefully there will be others sailing when i go to ask few q&a's
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by larrykin
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
C750 Tips

G'day 1980,

The Century 750 was my first rc boat and my introduction to this great hobby. On that basis it was money well spent. It's a good cheap boat to learn with if you want to go further or just modify so you can have some fun.

But... it's no fun if the boat don't work. Boat's hatch is not waterproof. I solved this by sticking Modelling Clay / Plasticine all along the hatch edge. I used a lot. Better safe than sunk. The piece of plastic junk that covers the rudder arm I stuck down with magic tape.

The jib sail I replaced with a sail cut from florist's cellophane. Cost $2. Good for winds up to 7kts.

The bulb is too light. As a temporary solve I taped two "snapper" sinkers to either side of the bulb which helped. Adds drag but reduces excessive heel.

The Biggy for me was the rudder servo clevis. Nearly lost the boat as I lost all control first time out on the water. The tiny elastic plastic band which is supposed to lock the clevis in place to the rudder servo broke. Clevis detached - no rudder. Fixed that by wrapping thin copper wire and glueing in place. Instead of plastic band. Second time out. The tiny pin which locks the clevis sheared off. No rudder again. Had to dismantle rudder assembly and rebuild a clevis servo connection. At the other end the arm to rudder post also came loose. Had to file rudder arm post flat than set screw and I used super glue. Third time out backstay chainplate was ripped out.... the list goes on.

Last time I took it out the boat still heels too much and spins in a wind gust. The drum servo lines also keep unravelling and getting tangled.

With all that I learnt from the Century it was worth the $140 I paid for it in education value. I now have four 1 metre boats which all sail like dreams. Anyone want a free Century 750?

Larry L.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:24 PM
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Hi larrykin sounds like you had a bit of trouble! when you say clevis do you mean servo arm? also what is the backstay chainplate? prob sounds funny but i am green as grass at this, got cars/planes/nitroboats allways fancied a yacht so got one! Also is heeling the angle at which the boat lists when sailing? Finally would like free century but as you would prob say i'm a 'pom' bit far away! sounds like a spare mast is a good idea though, cheers lubaru1980
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:34 PM
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Century 750 yacht

Hello how you thanks for info much apprieciated!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980lubaru
Hi larrykin sounds like you had a bit of trouble! when you say clevis do you mean servo arm?
Clevis is the funny "fork shaped" thingy that connects to the rudder servo arm.
Quote:
also what is the backstay chainplate? prob sounds funny but i am green as grass at this, got cars/planes/nitroboats allways fancied a yacht so got one!
A bit of string goes from the top of the mast to the back of the boat and ties to a metal bit glued to the boat. This is the backstay.
Quote:
Also is heeling the angle at which the boat lists when sailing?
Heeling is the amount the boat tips over from vertical when the sails are hit by wind. Should aim for 30* maximum heel.
Quote:
Finally would like free century but as you would prob say i'm a 'pom' bit far away!
I could put the boat on "auto-pilot" and sail it to you .
Quote:
sounds like a spare mast is a good idea though, cheers lubaru1980
Funny... on my boat the mast is the ONLY thing I've never had a problem with .

BTW - a few months ago I had no idea what any of this RC sailing stuff meant. My idea of sailing was; someone elses yacht, (full size), Sydney harbour, lots of alcohol, suntan lotion and girls topless .

Larry L.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by james carey
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
228 Posts
BTW - a few months ago I had no idea what any of this RC sailing stuff meant. My idea of sailing was; someone elses yacht, (full size), Sydney harbour, lots of alcohol, suntan lotion and girls topless .

Larry L.[/QUOTE]
----------------------
Stop it Larry !! you're making me home sick!

Cheers,

James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:51 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james carey
Stop it Larry !! you're making me home sick!

Cheers,

James
James - SUFFER

Larry L.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by james carey
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
228 Posts
Apologies to 1980Lubaru , hijacked your thread.

Larry , Sydney Harbour is one of the greatest sailing venues in the world . ( that statement could start an arguement ).Long time ago when I sailed there I crewed in 12 ft and 18 ft Skiffs.

Now days my sailing is a bit more relaxed , crewing for other people ,sailing off Jakarta in an are called Seribu Pulau which means "Thousand Islands".

Cheers,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey
Last edited by james carey; Aug 25, 2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: apologise to Lubaru
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:30 AM
Southampton (UK)
Joined Aug 2008
23 Posts
Dont worrie bout hijack, nice pics the water there looks better than the mud and mank green soup that we call the sea here!!!!!!