New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,933 Posts
Edge540 Repaired and ready for FPV Air Racing!!

After an 8 month 'rest', sitting in a corner broken from its last crash, my Edge540 is ready to fly once again! This time it returns with FPV fitted!

I have been making up 'pylons' for some "Red Bull Air Racing", and the Edge540 is perfectly suited for that!
I am still using the 3S configuration, but with either 8x4 or 8x6 APC props. Either 3S 1600 mAH 30C, or 3S 1600 & 1800 mAH 20C. I can also run 4S, and the FPV setup can use up to a 4S supply also.

I still have a bit to finish on it, but will hopefully test fly it this coming weekend....

PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:46 PM
Joined Nov 2006
13,933 Posts
VTX mounting

I finished the Edge a few weeks back, but didn't press on to the flight testing stage.

I made a small balsa wood 'box' for the VTX, which is glued down into the top of the fuselage just after the cockpit area. All the wiring is my typical 'modded servo leads' to interconnect the VTX and Camera, and the tap off to a 3S balance plug for power.

The AUW is a bit much I think!!
I had been using 3S 1600mAH or 1800mAH batteries, which are a bit lighter than the recommended 4S 1300mAH, and to get the Power level back up I used a 8x6 prop. The larger diameter prop also clears the cowling a lot better so that the 'meat' of the prop is operating in clearer airflow than the stock prop does anyway.
But now it is marginal to balance it out with those batteries, to offset the FPV stuff which is all AFT of the CofG. With no extra weight added it is a BIT tail heavier....

It should be OK still I think, but the AUW it has means it will need to KEEP flying FAST all the time! This plane is excessively loaded (wing loading) in its stock 4S form, and even with the bit lighter 3S form, so now I am back to 4S AUW levels or a bit more.... and that means TIP STALLS, severe ones, if it flies too slow!!

I am now thinking that a 1000mm Edge540 or SBach342 etc is what is really needed for FPV Red Bull Air Racing! 800mm is just a bit too heavily wing loaded and that is going to cause some grief at times!! Which means CRASHES!

I will try to get this Edge540 out for testing in the near future, but seeing it seems it will be a bit of an issue (AUW and flight results) I have not been enthused to do the testing, since it was all completed and ready to fly almost two weeks ago!
It will fly... but how well? It will need to fly fast... and land fast too!

Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
11,403 Posts
Well ... dragged my Edge 540 out from semi-retirement and had a ball with her ... having delved into 3D lately - I wanted to see how her power would handle a bit of 'mis-handling' .... no surprise that she bites back and I ended up in the long grass .... no damage done.

Edge 540 Ventspils 21 June 2015 (5 min 25 sec)

Nice to see that she still flies well.
Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Aug 04, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by nieuwsma
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Rate Adjustment SBACH

Hey all,
Quick question.

I have the SBACH and took her for her maiden today. I am using a FLY SKY radio to adjust the Expo/Rates.

My maiden this morning was on concrete and it was so incredibly twitchy I am lucky I landed it with only bending one of the LG.

I have been reading that the recommended settings is 5mm throw for the Aileron and Elev. Does this mean that the max it will rise and drop is 5mm? or am I missing something. And in order too adjust this I had to bring my rates all the way down from 100 to about 20.

My Maiden this morning the throw was about 20mm with the rates dropped from 100 down too 60.

Thanks, I hope this makes sense!
-Matt
nieuwsma is offline Find More Posts by nieuwsma
Old Aug 04, 2015, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,669 Posts
Hello Matt, you can adjust the overall throws in travel adjust or end points dependent on how it's worded in your Tx. However such as rudimentary question suggests that you are something of a novice, am I correct? If that's the case then you have been very lucky to get it down at all, let alone in one piece.

Any how glad you're enjoying it, (mines now gone to a new owner), once fettled they can fly quite well.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Aug 04, 2015, 04:15 PM
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
FlySky Transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Hello Matt, you can adjust the overall throws in travel adjust or end points dependent on how it's worded in your Tx. However such as rudimentary question suggests that you are something of a novice, am I correct? If that's the case then you have been very lucky to get it down at all, let alone in one piece.

Any how glad you're enjoying it, (mines now gone to a new owner), once fettled they can fly quite well.
Thanks for your reply! I was able to do loops, fly inverted and do a few hammer heads before taking her down. I was getting nervous flying over concrete as it was so twitchy.

I'll check my end points. I would say that i'm fairly new. This is my 4th plane, but I have flown sporty planes such as the extra 300 and warbirds. This is my first time having to adjust rates and expo so such an extreme. I'll look into the end points function on the transmitter.

If you have time..
Here's a video of my transmitter. Skip to 14:50 , this is what my DR/Exp looks like. The expo I need to go in the negative direction. What are some recommended settings for my second flight based on the video?
FlySky FS-T6 2.4ghz 6 Channel Transmitter Installation Guide (21 min 0 sec)

Thanks!
Old Aug 04, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwsma View Post
Thanks for your reply! I was able to do loops, fly inverted and do a few hammer heads before taking her down. I was getting nervous flying over concrete as it was so twitchy.

I'll check my end points. I would say that i'm fairly new. This is my 4th plane, but I have flown sporty planes such as the extra 300 and warbirds. This is my first time having to adjust rates and expo so such an extreme. I'll look into the end points function on the transmitter.

If you have time..
Here's a video of my transmitter. Skip to 14:50 , this is what my DR/Exp looks like. The expo I need to go in the negative direction. What are some recommended settings for my second flight based on the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bX7M6E8U0M

Thanks!
Expo is a very personal thing, I usually set 25-30% nut that's just my preference depending on the model, That may still be a little too twitch for you so you should experiment till you find a setting that is comfortable for you. What suits one man doesn't necessarily suit another if you know what I mean.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Aug 04, 2015, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
13,933 Posts
For any aircraft I use Triple Rates... but many TXes can only do Two Rates.
There is no standard travel maximum, but quite a typical aircraft use - across tons - is about 25deg of surface angle. That is a rough enough base. This means I will use something like 30deg, 20deg and 10deg on my Triple rates.
For Dual Rates something like 25deg and 10deg, or 15deg.
You also use a bit of guesstimation to allow for surface area also - so some aircraft will vary that High Rate.... 20... 25... 30.... it is not hard to get it roughly right so you can maiden successfully.

I use HIGH Rate to take-off for the maiden, as you want full control ability if you will require that. Right away... likely to be within 10 seconds or so(!)... you will know how good your Rate choice was! I get two other choices then....

Many aircraft I end up only ever using ONE Rate anyway. On some - such as a 3D aircraft, or little twitchy thing like this, I just use two Rates in the end.

If it is twitchy and thus harder to land, then you use the Low Rate for landing. If the Low Rate was not low enough, you would have already found that out on flight 1 - because when you went to fly it stable and sedate, and had to go to Low Rate, you would have found out if its sensitivity was good or not. So if not, you go over all the Rates after that first flight, to set them to values of use.

So it sounds like you do NOT have a low enough low Rate.... or Expo for that.
To decide a MINIMUM Low Rate, you have to allow for how much control you MIGHT need. eg You can;t go to 5deg to make it super stable, as that is likely to be too low to even help if you encounter any issue on landing. So for eg you might use 10deg, but then need a bit of Expo to help keep the centre area more stable. Or 12deg.... or 15deg... whatever....
That very first flight should have given you pretty much enough information to re-do your Rates to suit. But it might take a few flights to really get them tweaked to your 'perfection'.... after one set of adjustments it should be already very good.

I don't like Expo so I never use much. 10deg.... maybe 20deg max in some cases. But I have Triple Rates.... which is NOT quite the same anyway - it has pros and cons, versus using Expo.... or versus using BOTH the best way you can.
No way is perfect....
Note... Real aircraft don't have Expo... LOL. Or even ability to change Rates/Expo. (well maybe a very few do).
Old Aug 04, 2015, 07:58 PM
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
SBach landing gear

Had a great flight this evening!! Flew in a dirt field and the sorry excuse for Landing gear didn't like it very much.

My question is: what landing gear upgrades are available for the sbach? I read that the sport cub s is a good option? Or is that the larger sport cub s2?

What other options are out there for LG?

Thanks!
Old Aug 04, 2015, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
13,933 Posts
You can see back in my posts about my Alloy legs I made to replace the stock ones. They work extremely well.
You want some FLEX... but just the approximate right amount... so it can absorb rough ground usefully.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by 1flyguy
to live and let fly!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2013
282 Posts
have a few red replacement cowl new if anyone here wants one in the USA? $5 shipped.
1flyguy is offline Find More Posts by 1flyguy
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
You can see back in my posts about my Alloy legs I made to replace the stock ones. They work extremely well.
You want some FLEX... but just the approximate right amount... so it can absorb rough ground usefully.
I'll look back and try too find em! Thanks