Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpilot View Post
I would like to work out if I can use this on some Afro 30A ESC's to run brushed motors and am not sure where to start.
Start by tracing out the circuit to find which pins of the ATMeg8 are used and what polarity signals the FETs require. The Afro ESC looks pretty simple so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Next, edit the macro.def file to match the MCU pin functions to the circuit. Assemble the program (using eg. AVR Studio 4.19) to create a hex file, and download it into the ESC through the ISP pins on the PCB (using a programmer such USBASP).

Finally, test the ESC on a current limited power supply. If you are lucky it works. If not then you have some debugging to do.

One problem you may have - the Afro ESC uses all N-Channel FETs, so I'm betting it uses 'bootstrap' circuits to generate the high-side Gate drive. Therefore it probably won't be able to hold the upper FETs on continuously. You can get around this by not allowing the PWM to go to 100% at full throttle (PWM pulses keep the bootstrap caps charged up).
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
to remove ads between posts