New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by GorillaSkull
Joined Jul 2011
47 Posts
Discussion
At full throttle engine shuts off!?!?

I was flying my HZ Supercub the other day at a park. I have 2 batteries, the stock HZ battery and a Parkzone battery.

Anyway first flight was with the ParkZone battery and I hand launched (grass is too tall) and as im climbing and reach full throttle the engine completely cuts out. When the Super cub glided down I picked it up and gave it a little throttle and it started up again. But once reaching full throttle it would short out again.

I repeated this many times to make sure it would run properly as long as it was not a full throttle and it worked fine, but as soon as the stick was all the way up the engine cut out without fail.

When using the other (hobbyzone) battery everything was fine and engine worked perfect even at full throttle.

I am new to this hobby and have no idea how this could have happened. Is this battery damaged? Defective? Dangerous to be in my home?
GorillaSkull is offline Find More Posts by GorillaSkull
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
well the battery certainly isn't dangerous in my opinion. My friend's hobbyzone champ had the same problem and he replaced the motor and it worked fine. i would call horizon or change your motor. How long ago did you buy it because the warranty could cover the cost of the new motor.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
47 Posts
I bought it about a month or so ago. How could it be the engine if it only happens on 1 battery but not the other? If it was the engine wouldn't it cut out on both batteries?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,208 Posts
The Parkzone battery cannot cope with the amp draw... at WOT, voltage under load is dropping below LVC. By landing, going to zero throttle, the LVC is reset.... that's why the motor restarted (until at WOT you hit LVC again!) Clearly the HobbyZone pack is better able to cope with the amp draw.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
47 Posts
DRKIWI thanks for the help but some of the terminology you used was not beginner friendly can you explain what you mean in detail for a newbie.

For example what is WOT?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by jeb6684
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
354 Posts
WOT = wide open throttle
jeb6684 is online now Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by wopachop
Joined Apr 2007
2,114 Posts
When youre flying with a big ole smile and like woot woot!!!!

Wide Open Throttle.

The other is Low Voltage Cutoff.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by bradley2j
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
The LVC is a function of the ESC (electronic speed control) that is intended to protect LiPo batteries. If you discharge a LiPo too far you will damage it. The throttle cutoff tells you it's time to land and change the battery. Resetting the LVC by closing the throttle and opening it again gives you some power so you can land where you want to.

In this case your battery isn't strong to handle the load without triggering the LVC. That could be because the battery is too small or has a weak cell. Or possibly you've got too big a prop or because there is some extra friction in the motor. This is where you need a wattmeter. A wattmeter tells you much current your motor is drawing and you can compare that to what it should be drawing.

The C ratings on batteries are a guide to how much power they can produce but there is no standard for how these ratings are determined or how low the battery voltage will go under that amount of load. If your battery isn't delivering the rated current without hitting LVC (when fully charged) then I think you have grounds to return it.
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
47 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the help. And thanks bradley that was quite easy to understand. So I guess now I should get a watt meter and go to my LHS where I bought the battery... Or should I contact ParkZone directly?

One last thing. I am obviously new and was wondering now that I am into lipos what do I need. Is there a balancing charger that shows the charge on the batteries or do I have to buy a charger and a battery checker separately. ( Can someone send me a link to anything that can teach me what I need to know about Lipos/Charging/Checking levels.
Last edited by GorillaSkull; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
22,142 Posts
Need more info on the ParkZone battery to be able to tell you for sure.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
47 Posts
Ok I am at work until 6am so in the morning I will put all the Park Zone Battery info on here. However it was picked out by the guy at my LHS and had all the same specifications as the one that came with the Super Cub only the brand was ParkZone.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
22,142 Posts
Might have also been sitting on the shelf for a long time. If that's the case, then the battery might not be any good anymore.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,411 Posts
Check out this website to educate yourself.

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...ow-tos/80-rule
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by banzi28
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on this.

I had a young guy come with his parents to the field yesterday with their LP Supercub. They had crashed it because it did exactly what you describe; take off, open up the throttle and it would die.

After much troubleshooting is discovered that they had never changed the LP's TX batteries since they bought the aircraft - it's a wonder there was any control. A new set of AAs solved the problem and she was flying perfectly.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
Just wanted to chime in on this.

I had a young guy come with his parents to the field yesterday with their LP Supercub. They had crashed it because it did exactly what you describe; take off, open up the throttle and it would die.

After much troubleshooting is discovered that they had never changed the LP's TX batteries since they bought the aircraft - it's a wonder there was any control. A new set of AAs solved the problem and she was flying perfectly.
Thanks for chiming, Your probably right.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen