New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by raglafart, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Newtmagick
United States, CA, Oceano
Joined Oct 2011
193 Posts
Swanee

Dennis: That motor drive looks great. I guess you could build this boat with just about any material. I built my first one out of balsa. As I said the one under construction ( and shelved for a long time) is made of eighth inch plywood. I drove my first one with a 90 degree drive mounted on one end of the wheel. It was just a simple two gear affair from some toy or something. it worked real well. On this next one I planed something more like you have. Originally I had planed to use a motor and gear reduction out of a battery powered screw driver. If I ever get back on the project I may re think that. It still mite be a workable idea
I ran the first one with a six channel reed unit so it kind of played a tune as you maneuvered it around. By the way, that was in 1960 something. I wish I had a picture of It.

Newt
Newtmagick is offline Find More Posts by Newtmagick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2015, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by dbpage
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Swanee

Everyone,
Thanks to your contributions to this forum, I found more about my father's Swanee. On p. 91 of the 1954 Air Trails Model Annual magazine described in Newtmagick's July 20, 2015 post is an advertisement for a Swanee River Boat kit. Model Aircraft Co. created a 2/3 scale model of the original plans described in the magazine. It was offered for $6.95 plus 50 pp (about $65 in 2015). The hull measures 24" long and 9" wide, the same as my father's Swanee. The stenciled markings and superstructure are identical. I am confident that this is the kit. I estimate that my father built it in 1954 or 1955. It first ran at Hansen Dam above the San Fernando Valley in southern California. Since refitting Swanee in 2001, I have floated it all over southeast Michigan.

The hull and deck material is described as die-cut Tekwood. Does anyone know about Tekwood?

Newt: The motor drive in Swanee is an inexpensive Tamiya High Power Gearbox H.E. #72003 (www.pololu.com/product/72). It has changeable plastic gears to select from two 41.7:1 and 64.8:1 ratios. I replaced the 3V motor with a 6V motor to make it compatible with a re-purposed ESC. It runs for many hours on 4 "D" cell batteries. Other motors are available from different manufacturers with metal gears.

I was amused reading the description about the 6-channel reed receiver playing tunes. I have experienced that myself many years ago.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I am please to have solved some mysteries.

Dennis
dbpage is offline Find More Posts by dbpage
Old Aug 04, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,493 Posts
Dennis- Here's a mention of Tekwood:
http://puzzlehistory.com/qa115.htm ... a "composition board" used for diecut jigsaw puzzles.

Edit: Found it, Patent 1,997,344: https://www.google.com/patents/US1997344

Edit 2: But wait there's more! Admiral Byrd had a Tekwood house...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Aug 04, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by dbpage
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
patmat2350,
OK. Patented in 1953. That helps validate the kit date.

The description in the patent matches what I see. For example, "cooperative elements consist of an intermediate layer of wood veneer ... and a paper sheet adhesively secured substantially throughout its entire area ..." I have to wonder how well tekwood survived the antartic moisture in the spring!

More mysteries solved!
Thanks!
Dennis
dbpage is offline Find More Posts by dbpage
Old Aug 06, 2015, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,493 Posts
Yay.
*1935*