Aug 31, 2015, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuricus
To me this motor works just fine.

https://youtu.be/eeWJ6BwI8AA

And a friend of mine drive with this motor even a Gopro!
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/emax-gb18...otography.html
And he is also happy. Even I was surprised!

Anyway Robca, these are not regular motors by any means. Regular motors of that size don't exist with such a small KV.
Those motors seems to have a much higher kV than most gimbal motors, and especially the Emax you link has very low resistance (<5.2 Ohm, making it pretty hard for most controller boards to drive it properly). They don't "look" like gimbal motors from the specs

I'm used to motors with lower kV and higher resistance (something like http://fpvline.com/store/brushgimbal...bal-motor.html or http://fpvline.com/store/brushgimbal...204-100t-.html). The new designs are much better (in terms of form factor) than the FPVLine motors, granted (those are pretty hard to work into a gimbal design)

As I said before, I'll be happy to see them used in successful gimbal designs, especially if they work with the STorM32 board.

In any case, none of those motors is much different from existing motors (weight wise, as OlliW says, they might be better in terms of performance), and all are over-designed for a Mobius. I have no doubt you can make a GoPro gimbal with them, since they are overkill for a Mobius
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2015, 05:42 PM
Fly First // Post Later
RCLogger dropped their Mobius Gimbal development today ...

Name: 11926441_1023148111043217_238319241885134908_o.jpg
Views: 157
Size: 171.3 KB
Description:
Sep 01, 2015, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleQuad

Attachment 8205172
Well, at least waiting is over.
Sep 01, 2015, 08:24 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Bummer
Sep 02, 2015, 04:16 AM
RcLogger doesn't seem to have much experience in developing gimbals (their X3, recently shipped, is just a rebadged Feyutech), and they made many mistakes in their development (at one point they were using the open source BruGi code, not a good codebase to start with).

Instead of relying on a proven controller and focus on the mechanical part, they decided to create their own controller. That, coupled with the well-known challenges of designing a Mobius gimbal (there are many failed attempts so far), probably resulted in a development cost that was higher than the potential market size (not to mention that the later it ships, the worse the market opportunity is, given the alternatives)

Knowing RCLogger, they only ship good quality products they can stand behind, so the X1 probably never really met the design goals. I think it's a good thing they finally dropped it, since it must have consumed many of their limited technical resources. I hope one day RCLogger will stop preannonuncing (and taking preorders) products months and months before availability

I hope we will start seeing companies starting to develop fully integrated camera/gimbals combinations (like the DJI or Yuneeq ones), since they can be inherently lighter and easier to build/balance. If light and small enough, many action camera scenarios will benefit from the gimbal stabilization (as a tradeoff for extreme sturdiness)
Sep 02, 2015, 04:19 AM
I'm probably not a potato!
hallo i have this cam http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...pp_143774.html
can i make livefeed fpv with it if i get a diy fpv set?
Sep 02, 2015, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prutealex
hallo i have this cam http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopte...pp_143774.html
can i make livefeed fpv with it if i get a diy fpv set?
Hi
Its not mobius and not really a gimbal...so you can ask at camera topics in fpv section.
But based on the description "USB 2.0 with AV output " it had av out...maybe it is analog but maybe only for webcam function.
Start a topic and aks other users if it has analog av video signal out as Mobius or the gopro!?

In that case you can connect any video tx with analog video signal input....need only video signal...and ground connection
Sep 02, 2015, 03:57 PM
Even if I have not read all the thread , my respect for the amazing job done on these small gimbals for Mobius , I'm very impressed by some solutions.

I'm working on a 3D printed Abs 250mm quadcopter , actually 160 grams without battery and Mobius.
The purpose of the copter is average video shooting .

If I understood well, too little weight of Mobius is a problem for the brushless gimball so removing battery and case moving just the Cmos unit would be problematic , right ?

I was thinking to start with just one axis stabilization, roll, with the gimbal motor integrated in the frame to see how it will perform.
Obviously it will not reach the results of a perfect 3 axis gimbal but my goal is to build a small sub 300 grams quad for 6 minutes of fair video shooting.
Sep 03, 2015, 03:05 PM

RC logger x1 gimbal

Well I just received a refund from PayPal
Sep 03, 2015, 06:03 PM
Rotorcraft Fanatic

RC Loogger abandons Mobius X1 gimbal

Y'all might be interested to learn that as of Sept. 1 quad-maker RC Logger has, after many months of delays and (in retrospect) less than forthright excuses, officially abandoned their promised new ultra-lightweight X1 Mobius gimbal. They state that they will refund all the pre-orders (we're waiting...). They have not told us what the problem was in anything but general market-speak terms. This has been an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience, and expensive as well in both money and time as some of us already built aircraft specifically for this eagerly awaited product, which in the end was just another wad of worthless vaporware.

We still think that "small and smaller" is the future for all but very specialized multirotors and that a properly gimballed Mobius would be a wonderful (and highly profitable) step in that direction. Hopefully someone with the right resources (and integrity) will also see this and pick up the ball so clumsily dropped by RC Logger.

[Note: For some reason the prior posts on this subject were not visible before I posted the above, so please pardon the repetitions.]
Last edited by cyclicopath; Sep 03, 2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Sep 03, 2015, 08:00 PM
Rotorcraft Fanatic
Still licking our wounds from RC Loggers dismal and permanent failure to actually provide a pair of their promised (and paid for) X1 Mobius gimbals, but feel much better after finding your post and ordering, just now, the upgraded C-1. Hopefully it, in place of RC Logger's vaporware, will be the subject of the first review on our virgin Web site, microaerialphoto dot com.
Sep 03, 2015, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleQuad

Attachment 8205172
Hardly a surprise. But definitely a disappointment.
Sep 04, 2015, 01:56 AM
OlliW
I have a speculation to spread LOL
they stopped the Mobius gimbal because RcLogger and their gimbal controller developers didn't come to a mutual agreement on the financial compensation
as said, pure speculation
Sep 04, 2015, 09:48 AM
Dance the skies...

All may not be lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclicopath
Y'all might be interested to learn that as of Sept. 1 quad-maker RC Logger has, after many months of delays and (in retrospect) less than forthright excuses, officially abandoned their promised new ultra-lightweight X1 Mobius gimbal. They state that they will refund all the pre-orders (we're waiting...). They have not told us what the problem was in anything but general market-speak terms. This has been an extremely frustrating and disappointing experience, and expensive as well in both money and time as some of us already built aircraft specifically for this eagerly awaited product, which in the end was just another wad of worthless vaporware.

We still think that "small and smaller" is the future for all but very specialized multirotors and that a properly gimballed Mobius would be a wonderful (and highly profitable) step in that direction. Hopefully someone with the right resources (and integrity) will also see this and pick up the ball so clumsily dropped by RC Logger.
There is still another Mobius-specific "small/light" gimbal that has been in development for a number of months already that gives some hope to your quest that I bolded above. But having done some of the early beta testing myself, I can appreciate the difficulty other developers like JooVuu and RCLogger have run into that can affect the marketing viability of such a product.

For those who may not have considered all the problems and expect to get an out-of-the-box RTF solution that works perfectly on any airframe they bolt it to, they are likely to be disappointed, especially with multi-rotor airframes. There is only so much that a 2-axis gimbal can do to begin with, obviously, and if the airframe has excessive vibration or other motion instability problems, the gimbal will respond to this in varying degrees due to the flexing of the gimbal structure itself. It can easily make it harder to stabilize the camera if the motion is close to the resonant frequency of the gimbal structure and it's mounting method. And very light weight gimbals can be more prone to some of this as a result of trying to meet the lightweight criteria.

Having said that, in some tests with some quads and some mounting methods I have gotten some pretty good camera stability in the pitch and yaw directions without messing with any of the PID settings of the gimbal controller at this point. I've also gotten poor results with the same gimbal when needing to adapt the gimbal mounting plate securement to a slightly different bolt pattern on a different multi-rotor airframe!

The 2-axis gimbal stabilization when levelling the camera to pitch and roll motion of the quad can introduce a tiny amount of yaw motion in the scene which results in a small horizontal "jitter" of the recorded video as the camera moves around due to the small view angle parallax difference off of the axis of the quads forward direction. Ditto for the turbulent prop wash from a multi-rotor props hitting the gimbal! PID settings of the 2-axis gimbal controller cannot correct for horizontal movement, unfortunately, though image stabilization in post processing often can.

So there's my take on the problems I've had during beta testing, and other developers have likely encountered them as well. This doesn't mean that further development will not or should not continue, hopefully! Compared to the rocking and rolling of an AV with no gimbal at all, a 2-xis gimbal is like manna from Heaven! A really smooth flying quad with very minimal vibration or yaw disruption of the gimbal frame from surrounding air movement should be able to get some decent footage with a properly adjusted and positioned small, lightweight 2-axis gimbal taking into account my above observations. But potential users should adjust their expectations accordingly.

Before anyone asks, I will not be posting any ANY advance information, specs, possible release date targets, etc. on the gimbal I am testing. The developer does not make promises that may very well not come true and does not want to disappoint potential users like we already have seen. When he has a product that meets his quality and reliability goals, I will announce any information he wants to make public in this thread. So I'd appreciate your understanding of this, and not waste any post bandwidth here or in PM to me asking?
Sep 04, 2015, 11:13 AM
Those who cant wait...cs1 v2 mobius and similar size action cam gimbal now available..

Quick Reply