Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by painlesstom
UFO Pilot
United States, GA, Ludowici
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
New Product
New waterproof Quad Frame - STEALTH2O

Hey everyone. I've been working on a waterproof frame that comes apart for easier and cleaner component installation. I wanted something bigger than the Aquacopter, something visibly easy to see orientation, and faster customer service if I needed anything should I crash. I am big on prompt replies to email, and don't keep my customers in the dark. An informed customer, is a happy customer. So this frame was what I came up with, and I've been very pleased with the final product. It's got enough room for the FPV pilots out there, and easily packs 2 2200 compact 4s lipos inside. It is 585mm across, with all the screws and access cover the weight is 470g. With Turnigy 2213 980kv motors, 9x4.7 props, and dual 2200 4s, I get 10 minutes of flight carrying the GoPro. I am a small shop and this is another hobby business venture for me, one man show here, and everything is made by hand. No automation or CNC at work here, good ole' fashioned blood and sweat made in the USA! You can order from my site www.stealth2o.com STEALTH2O@comcast.net

All frames will include pressure equalization vent for running FC's with Baro.

I look forward to hearing what all of you think!

STEALTH2O Quadcopters - It's Boat AND Bird! Stealth H2O (2 min 40 sec)

STEALTH2O Waterproof Quadcopter - Naza M Lite - Stealth H2O on the Altamaha (4 min 30 sec)

Mokai™ Jet Boat and STEALTH2O Quadcopter at Beards Bluff - Altamaha River (4 min 58 sec)

Mokai™ Jet Boats Filmed by STEALTH2O Quadcopter - Altamaha River (6 min 10 sec)

STEALTH2O Waterproof Quadcopter on the Altamaha River (4 min 27 sec)
painlesstom is offline Find More Posts by painlesstom
Last edited by painlesstom; May 05, 2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by tc3wins
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,525 Posts
very cool looking frame.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:24 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by craigiri
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
1,280 Posts
I like it!

It would nice to test some of these in coastal waters where there is a slight chop - just to see whether it takes well to it. Maybe the higher (floating) legs you show in one pic would keep it up above normal current and small waves?
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:53 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Thanks. I don't think little waves would present a problem, but the salt water issue is what would keep me inland. I am the aftermarket parts connection for the Mokai Jet boat, and see the carnage from corrosion all too often to make me comfortable dropping my quad in it. I'm not sure how the foamy legs would function in water, never got a chance to try them out in that capacity. My goal with them was really about some landing gear while the GoPro was under there, so I could land on dry ground. I'm sure they would provide some extra buoyancy.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
2,249 Posts
Yes, another waterproof frame! I'm waiting for a good one to come out as I'd love to have one. Questions for you first though:

1- How is the top hatched sealed? Have you tested it to be waterproof? (in case of inverted 'landings'.)
2- How are the lipos secured? Straps that are glued to the frame, or through mounting posts, or...?
3- How easy is it to replace motors? It seems like once you glue the halves together it would be very difficult to change? (Siliconed with bolts?)
4- Material type and thickness?
5- Are you vacuum forming these yourself? If not, what method?

I'd like more of an H design, and I attempted it myself a while ago, but just didn't have the vacuum forming capabilities to make more or enough experience working with the material. If you're up for some slight redesign, that'd be awesome.

All the frames that are out there have a couple pros but usually some big cons as well. If you could take all the good and eliminate the cons, you'd be making a winner.
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:30 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayDay View Post
Yes, another waterproof frame! I'm waiting for a good one to come out as I'd love to have one. Questions for you first though:

1- How is the top hatched sealed? Have you tested it to be waterproof? (in case of inverted 'landings'.)
The top is 1/8 Lexan with foam gasket, secured with 4 nylon thumb screws like the Aquacopter. I have crashed nose first, inverted for 3 minutes, while I drove it like a boat back to me. No water made it inside.
2- How are the lipos secured? Straps that are glued to the frame, or through mounting posts, or...?
Some ABS could used to make mounting points for straps etc... PVC/ABS glue works great. Since there are so many variations possible for mounting everything, and everyone has their own preference, the details of battery and component mounting are up to each builder.
3- How easy is it to replace motors? It seems like once you glue the halves together it would be very difficult to change? (Siliconed with bolts?)
Changing motors would require separating the frame, after the bolts are removed a simple twist of each arm breaks the silicone seal. It's not too bad, I've done it a couple times now. I know how to make it so motor swaps are a plug and play situation, I will share that info in a later post but it is too time consuming to incorporate into the frame design at this time.
4- Material type and thickness?
ABS 1/16
5- Are you vacuum forming these yourself? If not, what method?
Yes, I vacuum form these myself.

I'd like more of an H design, and I attempted it myself a while ago, but just didn't have the vacuum forming capabilities to make more or enough experience working with the material. If you're up for some slight redesign, that'd be awesome.

Let me know what you had in mind, if it's a popular idea I might consider it.

All the frames that are out there have a couple pros but usually some big cons as well. If you could take all the good and eliminate the cons, you'd be making a winner.
Thanks for input, I'm sure you figured out my answers above in red. My desire with this frame was the ability to work easily while installing everything just the way I wanted. Being able to neatly install the wires without a big hole to fill with sealer, and a shape that offered some visual orientation and unique appearance. I realize that any frame is going to have it's pros and cons, and I'm sure mine isn't going to be for everyone. But it is an option that I wanted to make available to those who can appreciate it for what it is. I am very pleased with it, it has proven to be very tough so far. I've crashed it a few times on purpose, once trying to flip it in the wrong mode, and hit a tree today from misjudging my altitude thinking I was doing a flyover and ended up doing a fly into... Broke all the props and one motor ripped free from the aluminum motor mount, frame didn't have the first scratch. I hope to have some more video soon, looking forward to showing everyone more of it's abilities.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
2,249 Posts
Good, you're using ABS. It's one helluva strong material, I really like it. Also easy to fix with ABS solvent, as it chemically bonds the pieces back together again instead of just gluing.

What is your form out of? MDF or something else? How'd you cut the form? By hand, CNC,..?

Some of the pros of other frames that I like (off the top of my head, some you have already):
-Motor mounting bolts go through the entire arm, not requiring the frame to be taken apart to change the motor (LiftoffUAV)
-H style design for FPV (QuadH20, LiftoffUAV)
-Bolt sealed main hatch (Aquacopter)
-Clip seal hatch for quick battery changing (some modified Aquacopters)
-Removable tray for the internal components (QuadH20)
-Dome front for FPV equipment (QuadH20)
-ABS material

Cons off the top of my head:
-No front panel/option for FPV equipment (most waterproof options except the QuadH20)
-Price (QuadH20)
-Material not being ABS (Aquacopter)
-Not truly waterproof (LiftoffUAV)
-Heavy (most frames, hard to escape though)
-Customer service (Aquacopter, LiftoffUAV)

You can have a look at my old build if you'd like. Learnt a lot from it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840230
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:17 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayDay View Post
Good, you're using ABS. It's one helluva strong material, I really like it. Also easy to fix with ABS solvent, as it chemically bonds the pieces back together again instead of just gluing.

What is your form out of? MDF or something else? How'd you cut the form? By hand, CNC,..?
Form is made of wood. Bandsaw, milling machine and a drill press.
Some of the pros of other frames that I like (off the top of my head, some you have already):
-Motor mounting bolts go through the entire arm, not requiring the frame to be taken apart to change the motor (LiftoffUAV)
Inserts could be installed to accomplish this, but it would require too much time on my part to make it cost effective. Not to mention the number of motor mounts that are slightly different sizes from each other. The builder could add an ABS disc to the underside of the motor area and add inserts themselves, I can provide the ABS and the inserts by request.
-H style design for FPV (QuadH20, LiftoffUAV)
Could be possible with enough interest.
-Bolt sealed main hatch (Aquacopter)
Yes
-Clip seal hatch for quick battery changing (some modified Aquacopters)
Left up to builder.
-Removable tray for the internal components (QuadH20)
Part of the build I leave up to the builder, too many options for mounting.
-Dome front for FPV equipment (QuadH20)
I'm not in to FPV, would have to leave this up to the builder too.
-ABS material

Cons off the top of my head:
-No front panel/option for FPV equipment (most waterproof options except the QuadH20) I orientate mine with the v facing forward, but if you fly with the flat side forward, a window could be easily added for a FPV cam to look through.
-Price (QuadH20)

-Material not being ABS (Aquacopter)

-Not truly waterproof (LiftoffUAV)

-Heavy (most frames, hard to escape though)

-Customer service (Aquacopter, LiftoffUAV)
I can relate.... I am a firm believer in good customer service, and while I'm aware I cannot make everyone happy.. nobody will be able to say I didn't try.

You can have a look at my old build if you'd like. Learnt a lot from it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1840230
I like the ABS very much. Extremely tough, easy to work with and repair. Will check out your build later, out of time tonight.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:37 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Some flight video testing run time of dual 4s lipos, I was impressed with the results. Let me know what you think, enjoy the video.

STEALTH2O Quadcopter Frame Testing Dual 4s Lipos (23 min 10 sec)
Last edited by painlesstom; Feb 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:38 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,525 Posts
got mine on order yesterday. I will post when it arrives.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:08 PM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
It shipped this morning, should see it within a couple days. Look forward to your reaction.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:13 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,525 Posts
Me too. if it is as good as the pics and video you posted . I think I will have a lot of fun with it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by epic4me
Joined Aug 2013
35 Posts
H2O is too fragile and came with cheapo motors and ESC, installing the battery is a pain and is un balanced if the battery moves, flying times of less than 8 minutes, very difficult to service and very expensive
epic4me is online now Find More Posts by epic4me
Old Mar 01, 2014, 08:19 AM
UFO Pilot
Joined Jan 2014
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic4me View Post
H2O is too fragile and came with cheapo motors and ESC, installing the battery is a pain and is un balanced if the battery moves, flying times of less than 8 minutes, very difficult to service and very expensive
That is why I leave component selection to the builder, as well as installation details.
With dual 4s lipos, I got 13 minutes of flying time. But then again, the H2O is in a league of it's own. What I'm offering is a cross between the Aquacopter and Liftoff UAV, with a few of my own ideas added in.... priced in the middle.