Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
Build Log
Aerodrome R/C Pfalz D.VII/D.VIII

I am pleased to announce the prototype build thread for Aerodrome R/C's 1:8 scale Pfalz D.VII. This model may also be built as a D.VIII, the only difference being an extra set of interplane struts on the D.VIII. Feeling somewhat lazy, I will likely opt for the D.VII! But documentation is almost non-existent, but I did find a photo of a D.VIII, so may yet go that way. Wingspan is 35.25" with an area of 378 sq inches.

This is indeed a rare bird, and when Kay initially offered it to me as a build I said "a what?" I had never heard of it before. It certainly will stand out from the Fokker D.VIIs and the Dr.1s.

I love the fact that Kay has designed this model with an undercambered airfoil. I absolutely love the way my C.III and Gotha G.IV fly with their undercambered wings, and am looking forward to the same from the Pfalz.

I'm not sure what I will be using for power yet. Likely candidate is an Axi 2217/20 that I have handy.

I made a good start tonight with the tail feathers. Get's the process going and provides motivation!
Wolpertinger is offline Find More Posts by Wolpertinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,034 Posts
Oooo. This is a cool-looking subject! I'll tag along...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by Lnagel
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,038 Posts
Interesting subject, Frank. You going to use scale aileron activation? Hard to tell from the photo but what type of engine does this have? Is it the normal inline that Pfatlz used? With the rounded cowl it looks like it could even be a rotary. Just be sure you get it right. We don't need any Pfaltz starts.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,303 Posts
Its nice to see one of the undermodeled planes get built, I`m thinking there may be some lozenge involved?
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 09, 2010, 09:59 AM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Just be sure you get it right. We don't need any Pfaltz starts.
Larry
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo: D

The engine used was the Siemens-Halske Sh.III 11-cylinder geared rotary engine, 160 hp. The tiny bit of info I can find on the D.VII shows an all silver colour scheme with black crosses. The D.VIII I found was in Lt. Baumer's colours, which involves lozenge. Although I like it, I think I might go for the all silver. (Feeling lazy these days!) Here's a small bit on the D.VIII. Scroll down a bit. http://www.wwiaviation.com/german1918.html
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Ascolta
Joined Sep 2005
674 Posts
Pfalz D.VIII

Frank, here are a few schemes from Flying Machine Press' Pfalz aircraft of WWI. These are all D.VIII's, but I'm sure the finishes would apply to the D.VII's too. It appears that lozenge does apply to both aircraft, so have fun! :-)

Best wishes,
Dale
Ascolta is offline Find More Posts by Ascolta
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Lnagel
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
7,038 Posts
I would have to agree with Dale on the lozenge. Pfaltz started using it with the DIII. It would seem unusual for them to exclude it for just the DVII. And I know how much you love painting lozenges. By the way, Pfaltz used 5 color lozenge so no skimping with that 4 color stuff.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 09, 2010, 12:33 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
Mmmm.... Lozenges. Well, maybe. We'll see.

In the mean time, I started on the formers. The formers are 1/8" balsa and must be assembled over the plans. The fuselage is keel and half former construction, so make sure you don't make complete formers!

I carefully assembled one half of each former over the plans. Then I applied a small piece of packing tape over the area of each glue joint, and then assembled the other half directly over top of the first half. The tape keeps from gluing the two halves together. This ensures that both halves are identical. After the glue is dry, I gave each half a light sanding to make sure they are all flat.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 03:35 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
The formers get glued to the top and bottom keel pieces. The top of F5 is in the cockpit area, and will be removed after the fuselage is assembled and sheeted.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by Stachel
Clearwater, Florida
Joined Jul 2005
110 Posts
All photos I've seen of the D.VII show it in silbergrau, no lozenge on the wings. The D.VIII however had lozenge wings, and in its later run had its fuselage spray painted in cammo colors similar to the Pfalz D.XII.
Watching with interest,
Lyle
Stachel is offline Find More Posts by Stachel
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stachel View Post
All photos I've seen of the D.VII show it in silbergrau, no lozenge on the wings.
Watching with interest,
Lyle
Thank you for saving me from the Lozenge Demons, Herr Stachel!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by Stachel
Clearwater, Florida
Joined Jul 2005
110 Posts
Mein plezzure, Herr Baron!
Stachel is offline Find More Posts by Stachel
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:28 PM
Formerly "vonJaerschky"
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,841 Posts
Some work on the aileron cable system. The aileron pull-pull cable layout is scale. With the thin undercambered airfoil, there really is no option to bury a servo in the wing, as it is just too thin. So the aileron servo sits in the fuselage, and drives a system of bellcranks to which the pull pull cables are attached. Pretty clever and should all work out very slick.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
the scale prop looks huge!

looking forward to seeing this one.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by LukeZ
Joined May 2001
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
the scale prop looks huge!
Exactly what I was going to say! That thing's as big as the plane, must be a real best to taxi with.

Frank, you're a building beast, what's your secret? I know you have four dogs, five cats, two wives and kids, plus cars and a house and I presume a job in the armed forces - have you sacrificed sleep, is that it? I keep hearing stories about people who reach a certain age and then don't need to sleep anymore, they're up at 4 every morning, and are thus ostensibly twice as productive. I can't wait to reach that stage.... I still need a modest 13 hours of sleep each night or I just won't be very nice to my boss in the morning (or afternoon, whenever I wake up).

Luke
LukeZ is online now Find More Posts by LukeZ