Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by vleisie
boerie roll
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Build Log
DRONGO: Depron pusher water plane/park flyer *PLANS*

Here is my latest foamy design, called the Drongo.

It is inspired by the Funjet and Polaris and was intended as my new water plane for our summer holidays. These ended up being mostly rained out, so Ive mainly been hand launching it, with a few flights off short grass and calm water. It is a fast smooth flyer.

Some numbers:

Span: 800mm (31.5")
Length: 650mm (25.6")
Flying Weight: 500g (with 2200mah battery)
Power: 2212-06 motor, 6X4E APC prop, 30A ESC and 3S 1800-2200 MAH battery.

CG Position: 13mm (1/2") in front of the wing break.

Elevon control throws:
Elevator: 20mm up, 20mm down, 10% expo. (0.78")
Aileron: 17mm up, 17mm down, 10% expo. (0.67")

Water rudder: maximum travel without binding, 30% expo.

Water flying

I've only done four flight on calm water, so it is not fully tested. Take offs, landings and low speed taxiing are easy, but once the water rudder is out of the water the Drongo just runs straight. High speed water turns do not seem possible. Forcing a turn with aileron just puts a wingtip in the water and causes it to spin out, so it is not recommended.

Marcel

drongo_water.mpg (2 min 40 sec)

Depron Drongo (1 min 59 sec)
vleisie is offline Find More Posts by vleisie
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:08 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
#1 Install the carbon stiffeners shown on the plan in the wing. Weigh it down with some books while it dries to ensure that it stays flat. Cut the elevons free once it has dried.

#2 Chamfer the bottom edge of the elevon hinge line and tape in place using your favourite hinge tape. Make sure they move freely.

#3 & 4 Cut out the two bulkheads and glue together as shown in #4 using the slots to line them up.

#5 & 6 Glue the bulkhead assembly in place in the wing slot so that the smaller bulkhead is below the wing and faces forward. Glue a 18 x 18mm piece of depron into the small slot towards the rear of the wing so that it sticks out 6mm on either side. This serves as a guide when installing the fuselage sides. Now is also the easiest time to install the servos. The two elevon servos go into a single slot, side by side. Try to select the servos so that their horns will be close to 90 with the pushrods when they are installed. Take note of the orientation of the optional water rudder servo.

#7 & 8 Glue the fuselage sides in place using the tab to find the wing centreline. I used UHU Por contact glue on the nose and tail and epoxy or cyno on the rest. Make sure the sides are nice and square with the wing while the glue dries. Route the servo wires through the provided slots.

#9 Cut the control horns from credit card material or similar and glue in place in slits cut in the elevons. The hole for the pushrod should be directly over the hinge line and 10mm above the wing top surface.
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 13, 2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:08 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
#1 & 2 Connect the elevon pushrods. I used 1.2mm stainless steel wire, Dubro hardware and the plastic tubes from ear buds where the wire goes through the foam. Use the servo horn hole that is about 12mm from the centre. Set-up the servos so that the horns are close to 90 with the pushrods. Build in 6mm of UP trim as shown in #2.

#3 The optional water rudder is actuated using a torque rod. I made mine from 1.2mm wire, Large Dubro pinned hinges and a Dubro micro clevis set. Start by installing the hinges and bending the wire as shown in #3. The lengths of the bends are 6.5mm, 46mm (for the centre section) and 30mm. Make sure the bend directions are correct so that they match the orientation of the rudder servo.

#4 & 5 Glue the torque rod hinges into the fuselage tail, the half hinge above the wing and the full hinge below. This requires a slot to be cut in the wing, which will be filled up later. The half hinge should sit on top of the wing top surface and the full hinge as low as possible. Try to avoid getting glue in the hinges!

#6 Cut a slot into the rudder and glue onto the hinge and torque rod and make sure it moves freely before glueing in place. You will need to make a small recess in the fuselage tail for the top end of the torque rod to get full movement. Again, try to avoid getting glue in the hinges!

#7 Glue the threaded copper part of the micro clevis set onto the end of the torque rod and screw on the nylon clevis as far as possible. Install the pushrod to the servo the same way as for the elevons. Use the hole on the rudder servo horn that is the furthest from the centre.

#8 & 9 Cut 6mm wide strips of depron and glue all along the bottom surfaces of the fuselage sides and bulkheads to reinforce the corners. Make sure the servo wires are routed and then glue the front and rear fuselage bottoms in place. (These are slightly oversize to allow for some error).
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 17, 2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:09 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
#1 Assemble the engine pod and firewall. Cut the cooling/wiring holes after assembly. Glue a 12 x 12mm piece of depron into the slot on the bottom of the pod so that 6mm sticks out. This is used to align the pod to the fuselage.

#2 Glue 6mm wide strips along the top edges of the fuselage sides and bulkheads to reinforce the corners. Glue the engine pod to the top of the fuselage so that it is flush with the rear of the fuselage at the back, and the bulkhead at the front.

#3 & 4 Cut out the float and fin parts. Glue the four float parts and the bottom of the fin together to form a float, the fin bottom goes in the centre. Keep the fin top separate for now.

#5, 6 & 7 Glue the floats and fins to the wings in one operation if possible, making sure that the fins are vertical. #7 shows the “jig” that I used to apply pressure between the floats and wings.

#8 Install the motor and temporarily install the ESC and other electronics so that the battery position can be determined to have the correct CG. Extend the ESC wires if required and install, add velcro for the battery and cut a hatch in the fuselage top in the required position.

#9 Glue the fuselage top in place and finish installation of the hatch. For water flying, seal the wing roots and fuselage corners using a paste of epoxy and micro balloons, also fill the slot that was cut in the wing when installing the water rudder torque rod. You might also want to waterproof the ESC. It will get wet if you end up inverted in the water.
Last edited by vleisie; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by Russ40
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
That is very vool. I do hope you will post plans. That will go along nicely with my polaris and aquacat.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:24 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ40 View Post
That is very vool. I do hope you will post plans. That will go along nicely with my polaris and aquacat.
Plans will be up soon Russ.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by nkdurrett
USA, OK, Fort Gibson
Joined Jul 2009
120 Posts
cant wait to see them looks like a fun plane. SUBSCRIBED!!!
nkdurrett is online now Find More Posts by nkdurrett
Last edited by nkdurrett; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by foamdave
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,062 Posts
vleisie:

That's a very good looking seaplane. I am looking forward to the build...

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,856 Posts
Looks like a winner!
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:52 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkdurrett View Post
cant wait to see them looks like a fun plane. SUBSCRIBED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
vleisie:

That's a very good looking seaplane. I am looking forward to the build...

Dave-
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
Looks like a winner!
Thanks guys,

I've put up the build pics and will start wrtiting the instructions tonight. I'm cleaning up the plans and will post them soon.

Marcel
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:46 AM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Plans added.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:14 PM
boerie roll
Joined Apr 2007
833 Posts
Video added.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Flyingdennis
Switzerland
Joined May 2010
7 Posts
Looks great. Subscribed!
Flyingdennis is online now Find More Posts by Flyingdennis
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,963 Posts
Marcel, This looks like another winner !

Unfortunately MY CAD PC has died.
So until I get a replacment or a repair I wont be
desigening any new CNC cuttings :-(

After a few really terrific "dumb thuimbs" my Polaris has ... "Retired" .

THIS will be it's replacment !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by nkdurrett
USA, OK, Fort Gibson
Joined Jul 2009
120 Posts
just started putting the planes together. hopefully will have some pics up by the weekend
nkdurrett is online now Find More Posts by nkdurrett