HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:10 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Boy, I have to admit I haven't done any particluar check of CG, other than to fly it inverted and see how much down elevator it took (just mild pressure, not a lot of down), but the other thing I've noticed, is that if you set up throws higher than recommended, epecially on elevator, it becomes twitchy/snappy at stall. I've only tried this up high; it will snap and enter a spin with just elevator if you're over the recommended throws. Not really an issue if you keep to what's recommended and fly it with a modicum of speed. I haven't found any nasty tendencies at very low speeds with a lot of flap, as long as you keep some power on....
Me too. I have the recommended throws and the cg pretty much where they called for it. Didn't have to shift it around because the darn thing flew so well. Sometimes you get lucky. Mine flies inverted with ease as well. It's fun looking at the belly with the big wheels sticking up in the air. A nasty ground loop I witnessed with a Beav was the result of an attempt (IMO) to take off too slow and with too much elevator. Kind of supports what you're saying.
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:03 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Warning on high wing load RC:

As you get higher in RC wing loading (+30 oz/ft^2) you are more sensitive to tip stall. If the wing does not have wash out, you can cause an AGGRESSIVE tip stall if you throw the ailerons hard. This is why as you go into larger RC, you must be careful with the CG and the aileron throws. You hear of a few of the Horizon planes "falling out of the sky," and I think this is the cause. You can cause a tip stall even at high speed, and this is called an accelerated stall. I have done it on a few Horizon planes.

With the recommended throws and CG on the Beaver, I was not able to throw it into an accelerated tip stall.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Not sure how to display a picture on here, but hopefully it will work. This is my Beaver with the Power 32 and a MA 12x6x3 prop with a tru turn spinner. It has more of a weekend flying doctors' airplane look rather than a true bush example, but it does catch folks' eye at the field. I use a 30c Sky Lipo 4000 milamp 4 cell battery that just slips in and I had to remove one cross brace from the cover for it to snap back on. Works very well. The wheels are 3.5 inch Sullivans.
redbarn is offline Find More Posts by redbarn
Last edited by redbarn; Dec 12, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:52 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Beauty. Love that spinner. Nice job Red...
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Thanks Josh.
redbarn is offline Find More Posts by redbarn
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
Im getting ready to start my build I have everything but my batteries....I am using the power 32 , flight power 60 amp esc. I will sometimes use the floats.. I am looking for what batteries to order from HK etc......Any help would be great..
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3313 View Post
Im getting ready to start my build I have everything but my batteries....I am using the power 32 , flight power 60 amp esc. I will sometimes use the floats.. I am looking for what batteries to order from HK etc......Any help would be great..
It depends on the prop you're planning on using. If you're going to use something like a 13x6.5 2-blade, you'll want 4s power, especially with floats or tundra tires. I run my beaver on two different power setups. With each, I run 2 20-30c 2200mAh batts in parallel, giving me about 4400mAh total. Running two batts in parallel means I don't have to cut out any wood from the frame of the plane, and that I can use the same batts for a variety of other applications. I think this adapter cost me 9 bucks or something like that. Here are my setups - both work pretty well, but the 4s setup is definitely faster, and has more thrust.

General fun on the tundra tires:
Power 32
Eflite 60A ESC
12x8x3 Master Air Screw (3-blade) prop
2x2200mAh 3s 25c batts (Blue Lipo)

Higher power fun, esp with floats:
Power 32
Eflite 60A ESC
13x6.5 APC (2-blade) prop
2x2200mAh 4s 20c batts (old Flightmax batts)

Best,
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Dec 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Zeus,
I used this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Its a 4S 3300mah 35C nanotech for my Eflite Power 32 on a 13 x 6.5e APC.

The battery compartment is tight, so you may need to remove a little to clear the battery on the back inner bulkhead, but this is common. I think I took it down about 1/8" to fit my battery.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:56 AM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
75 Posts
Using a 12x8 on a Thunder Power Extreme V2 4cell 4250. This was the largest amp but smallest size to fit. The length can not be longer than 5 1/2:, 140mm. Otherwise it will not fit thru the bottom hatch. Then had to shave front at a 45 degree angle to fit it in. More than enough power. It took me a while to get landings down. Was chopping power and floating in. Finaly figured out to keep power on and land on the mains. Need the water rudder if any wind on the lake.
Bill PTC
BillPTC is offline Find More Posts by BillPTC
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I am useing Zippy and Nano tech 4s4000 I had to shave some wood off the gear plate to get them in.

Power 32 and APC 13x6.5 I have also used an APC 14x7 More power and will work on floats if you hold up elevator to start.

Oatmeal

Try the flaps, half flap for take off, full flap for landing, you can set up an unbelievably steep aproach and flair with some power for a short field landing.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,814 Posts
Just got my Beaver Kit :~)

Merry Christmas to all !

My titles says it all - NOW I've a Beaver kit . Motor is Power 32, Bx 3s 3000mAh.

I've read some of the threads but must admit not all of 3.5K+ posts.

Any suggestion as to "DOs and DON'Ts" would be much appreciated.

I've already started building it. Aim is to finish most of the work in this side of 2011 and maiden perhaps in the first week of 2012, weather permitting.

Please help before it's too late to change!!

BTW, I'm going for two pierce wing and a flat 15mm steel bar as joiner already installed. (My tested method works for even 3m gliders).

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,272 Posts
Beautiful "winter" day in Lake Tahoe. Where's the snow?!? The lake was so calm, I just couldn't pass up a chance to fly on the water in December.

Tahoe Beaver (2 min 23 sec)

Happy Holidays.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:25 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Juan,
Awesome footage. Looks like it was a great day for a little floatin, and for buzzing the geese. Looks like you even had some spectators...
Thanks for sharing,
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:36 AM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Nov 2001
75 Posts
Hangor07.
Find the setion on the tail lingage. It is tight and some small modification is required.
If you are going on floats waterproof your ESC and put the Rx in the back and up high.
Open up two of the 3 holes in baterry cover and fuel(water) proof the cover and engine and battery area. Make sure battery is secure and will not move around and change your CG.
Flaps DO work.
Bill PTC
BillPTC is offline Find More Posts by BillPTC
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPTC View Post
Hangor07.
Find the setion on the tail lingage. It is tight and some small modification is required.
If you are going on floats waterproof your ESC and put the Rx in the back and up high.
Open up two of the 3 holes in baterry cover and fuel(water) proof the cover and engine and battery area. Make sure battery is secure and will not move around and change your CG.
Flaps DO work.
Bill PTC
Thanx Bill for heads up on "Tail wheel". TBH, I wasn't happy seeing the tail assembly - thought it needed strengthening. I've read per your suggestion some of the threads, particularly, #2831 - so that's a start. If you've any specific thread in mind then please let me know.

I've already replaced ailerons and flap servo trays with 1/16 ply and reinforced tray holdings on the wing with ply. I think reaction force otherwise might lift the whole thing off the wing !!!

Thank you for your comments on flaps - I'm an avid user of flaps. Our landing strip is relatively small and there are a few trees as well. I fly until almost the last useful amp (but never below 30%) is left in the power pack. So "Flaps" are my saviour.

Cheers

PS : I wouldn't be using floats since there are no nearby lakes or ponds to fly from. Thanks for your advice, anyhow.
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member