SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
Whoops!
Trex 600 High Alt Motor Failure with Full Aeiral Photography Setup - on board Video

Today i was crusing around with my new trex 600 at about 500+ feet or so with my api 2000 and about $2500 worth of aeiral photography gear on the heli doing a fun video when all of a sudden MOTOR FAILURE! DAM! Mind you this is my first real size heli and i have never praticed auto rotations with it or any other heli before except in the sim. Plus i got so much money into this thing im a nervous wreck as i watch my money fall out the sky! Check out this video to see what happens.

I also would like suggestions to why you think my motor did what it did just listen to it carefully..

Dave

2 min vid:

Higher quality Version:
http://www.premieredjs.com/ap/motor_failure_768.WMV

YouTube Version less quality:
Trex 600 motor failure & auto rotation with on board video! (2 min 24 sec)
djdaveq is offline Find More Posts by djdaveq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:35 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Holy moly, Dave! Did you need pliers to pull your underwear outta your butt after that?

No idea about the failure mode, but it was a good save. Looks like you would have saved it even if the motor hadn't come back at the last second.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,756 Posts
Nice save.

It could have been a voltage, current or temperature cut off.

Did the power come back on when you put the pitch back up near the end of the auto?

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:37 PM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Nice save! Was your heart racing or what?! I'm impressed, I would have just froze!
laughingstill is online now Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
thanks guys! i my underware did need cleaning after that !! haha. and i even spun it around and did it nose in! i also fly real planes and was trained to remain cool under stress but once its over then i have a heart attack.. yea i was about to flare it out when the motor came back on about 2 inches off the ground! i think maybe i was not in idle up mode and moved my throttle stick too far down and the motor stoped. i auto all the way down and when i flared out it come back on slowly with slow start. thats what i think it was but im not sure any ideas welcome this is not something i want to repeat all though its nice to know my trex can auto with wood blades and about 5 lbs worth of photography stuff on it!
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:43 PM
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
713 Posts
So practise auto-rotate tonight
tungym is offline Find More Posts by tungym
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungym
So practise auto-rotate tonight
you mean outside in the dark? yea thats a good idea !
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:55 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,486 Posts
Man, i totally understand your deep breath at the end, lol.
The motor seemed to go higher pitched for a few seconds right before the cut off. LVC? Something slipping?
Glad you got it back in one piece. Whats your setup?
Keith43221 is online now Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:03 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith43221
Man, i totally understand your deep breath at the end, lol.
The motor seemed to go higher pitched for a few seconds right before the cut off. LVC? Something slipping?
Glad you got it back in one piece. Whats your setup?
I will try to get it all

trex 600 metal frame,
xl motor,
CC HV 85 ESC
4 Futaba MG DS 9252 servos
gy401
api 2000 stabizlier unit with co pilot infared sensor only
Ar7000 Spectrum Rx
UHVBEC from dimension engineering
6 cell lipo unitedhobbies.com CHEAP! $100
Futaba 9chp TX with spectrum moduel
Full metal head and tail
Wood 600 mm blades (dont do any 3d)
right now a sony 7.2 MP digital cam with a 1.3 ghz 100mw down link to a toshiba laptop for a live view
72 mhz rx for tilt and shutter and a 72 mhz tx also to keep the 3 signals very far apart on the spectrum 72 mhz, 1.3 and 2.4

Askman AP HD tilt gimble front mounted (took off the 360 mount just for somthing like this and look, if i had that huge thing now id have no more heli.

How does that stuff sound?
Last edited by djdaveq; Oct 03, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:06 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
That video was enough to give me a heart attack !
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:11 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
To me the motor didnt fail, it was shut down by something.
I would check the esc settings. As stated could be LVC or thermal shutdown. Considering the packs you run LV would be my first guess (if the incident wasnt user induced)
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:16 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
OMG!!!!!

As for the shutdown, it could be from a few things...
What are the ESC settings?
What pinion and what headspeed?
how many mah is the 6s lipo?
how heavy is the whole setup?
what is the pitch range?

It could be from the motor overheating, or LVC if it's set to "hard cutoff" (you want soft), it could have been a bad connection, glitch, etc...

It could have been a simple static discharge. The belt can generate electricity. I always recommend grounding the tail boom to the frame plates, and then to the battery negative. I've had really strange problems that were solved by grounding the major assemblies together (such as gyro's shutting down, strange ESC behavior, strange radio hits, etc). AS for the motor speeding up, I have no idea what could have caused it, but it may be related to the cutout.

edit:
you trust all that hard work and money to a cheapo $100 battery? Tsk tsk.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:17 PM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,131 Posts
i agree it did not fail cause it came back on, it was shut down. but by what maybe me? maybe not i was too scared to remember now dam it! Can ANY esc setting that i set with my remote only on the CC HV 85 cause this hard shut down besides the hard cut off option that i know is off?

i dont hear it speed up before cut off. you guys hear it?

lipo is new 4100 mah i can fly for 6 min but i fly 4 min

i have everything standard on hv85 esc except soft start, soft cut off, governor mode high (but i never could figure out how to set up my 9chp tx with it so the tx is off in that mode) 11 khz and auto lipo.

I dont know what else it is. Its always when i start a decent, this happend before but with out a full cut off. I triple chekec all wires and connections to esc and all is good. It might be me with idle up off and too much down throttle to get down from high alt or maybe has to do with my govonor? maybe i should use auto calibrating. I dont do 3d with this machine on with my 450 se. What do you think?
Last edited by djdaveq; Oct 03, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:19 PM
volts x amps = watts.
Denver
Joined Sep 2006
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveq
i dont hear it speed up before cut off. you guys hear it?
Yes, the sound changes maybe 100rpm then shuts down.
Wheelhaus is offline Find More Posts by Wheelhaus
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:27 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Turn off the auto lipo mode. That sets the lvc and is still my first choice for cause.

Personally i turn off all esc protection modes that i can. I figure the heli as a whole is worth more than any lipo pack it may carry. I would rather loose a lipo than the machine.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace