SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2004, 11:00 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Aeronca Champ flys

Just completed a new foamie by enlarging a 3 view of a Champ. It has a 40" wing and flys with a dual 4.8 ISP and some of Hastings Lithiums. Here are a few pics of tonights first flights.
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
Last edited by MatRat; May 03, 2004 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Pics didn't come through
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2004, 10:09 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
Looks great! Is your wing undercambered? I want to build a simular one and make it a removeable wing. Looking for a plane to just putt around with between 3D flyghts, that can be broken down. The bigger the better as i have a Razor in GWS box to power it. THNX BOB Some close up's??
IBbob31 is online now Find More Posts by IBbob31
Old May 05, 2004, 12:07 AM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Here is a shot of the Champ during the build process. I just have the wing sitting on the fuse. You could easily make the wing detachable, you would just have to fix attachments for the struts to the fuse. The wing is built like TOG's except I do not glue the center joint. I cut both halves at the same time using the fold of the foam as the center. Then all you have to do is un fold it. You can still roll each half seperately. In fact we have made a foam brake that we put the wings in and crease them instead of rubbing them on a corner of a bench. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to get some other closeups for you.
Old May 05, 2004, 12:09 AM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Aeronca Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatRat
Here is a shot of the Champ during the build process. I just have the wing sitting on the fuse. You could easily make the wing detachable, you would just have to fix attachments for the struts to the fuse. The wing is built like TOG's except I do not glue the center joint. I cut both halves at the same time using the fold of the foam as the center. Then all you have to do is un fold it. You can still roll each half seperately. In fact we have made a foam brake that we put the wings in and crease them instead of rubbing them on a corner of a bench. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to get some other closeups for you.
Forgot the picture
Last edited by MatRat; May 05, 2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old May 05, 2004, 12:27 AM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Wing Jig

Here is a picture of the wing Jig or Brake that we use to bend the foam into the airfoil. Its in the lower right corner of the picture. It will handle a 40" wing. The shot is of my messy shop on a night we were teaching about 15 interested guys how to build these foamies. We had a lot of fun and got some new guys started in the hobby.
Old May 05, 2004, 12:33 AM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Wing Cut

Here is what the wing looks like when we cut it and leave the fold in the middle.
Old May 05, 2004, 09:29 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
MatRat .. whats that Bluecor Pusher in the photo background??

and i have to say i want a shop like that .. Fantastic ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old May 05, 2004, 12:13 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Foam Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
MatRat .. whats that Bluecor Pusher in the photo background??

and i have to say i want a shop like that .. Fantastic ..
The Foam wing is actually 2 of GPW's Arado projects from Foamfly's site. I've been swaping gear in and out of planes. I flew them with a GWS 300 C gear but I'm going to try the J250 in them and try to get a little more out of them. I put a set of gear on the top one and let the nose skid on the ground. It helped save the prop.

I do enjoy the shop, its 20 X 34 and always seems to be a mess. Too many projects. I get it cleaned up and then I buy more foam.
Old May 05, 2004, 12:17 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
i am currently flying a Walmart glider conversion .. i made one and gave it to a local flying buddie and he is using the GWS 300 with a B gearing and 9 x 7 prop and it was flying nicely in 15-20 mph winds last sunday .. may want to try that set up .. its the plane currently in my avatar..

i wish i could get the local guys here together like you have .. everyone in Charlotte is to busy to do anything like that .. i have offered for 2 years to hold Bluecor building workshops and no takers ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Last edited by Vyceroy; May 05, 2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old May 05, 2004, 01:54 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3 Posts
MatRat, when are you going to have another group get-to-gether building time?
mrmartin1 is offline Find More Posts by mrmartin1
Old May 05, 2004, 03:14 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Building night

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmartin1
MatRat, when are you going to have another group get-to-gether building time?
I probably could have another one next thursday. My wife has to go out of town on business so I'm free to either build or fly.
Old May 05, 2004, 06:08 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Champ

Here is a closeup of the champ and one of the bottom of the fuse.