Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:50 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Question
Some Helis fly like a plane?

Hi
I have been flying Helis on my Phoenix Simulator. I have an MCX and a CX3. I just sold a Blade 400 so I could get the Blade 450 soon. I am still a beginner with these. How come some Helis fly like a plane, I only need to use the elevator and aileron stick, and some (like my helis) need also the rudder to turn the nose into the direction of the turn.
Thanks
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Hi
I have been flying Helis on my Phoenix Simulator. I have an MCX and a CX3. I just sold a Blade 400 so I could get the Blade 450 soon. I am still a beginner with these. How come some Helis fly like a plane, I only need to use the elevator and aileron stick, and some (like my helis) need also the rudder to turn the nose into the direction of the turn.
Thanks
VP
If your gyro is set on "heading hold" mode, you must use rudder to complete a turn. if your gyro is set on "rate more", then you can fly like a plane with elevator and aileron only. So it basically depends on your gyro setting which you can change.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
If your gyro is set on "heading hold" mode, you must use rudder to complete a turn. if your gyro is set on "rate more", then you can fly like a plane with elevator and aileron only. So it basically depends on your gyro setting which you can change.
Thanks for the reply, so it is tweakable for all helis? I am also wondering how to set up my DX8 so I can reverse the pitch of the rotors, I think I am ready for (intentional) inverted flight.
Thanks
VP

PS Is it the DX8 I adjust or the Heli in Phoenix?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, so it is tweakable for all helis? I am also wondering how to set up my DX8 so I can reverse the pitch of the rotors, I think I am ready for (intentional) inverted flight.
Thanks
VP

It is tweakable for almost all CP helis. The only exception I know is the MCPx whose gyro is non adjustable and in heading hold only. There is a switch on the transmitter (either channel 5 or channel 7) where one position is normally used for "heading hold" and another for "rate mode"

As for inverted flight, you will probably need to set up parameters at the simulator as well. As I do not have a DX8i. I don't know what is the best way to do it.
Last edited by zadaw; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,468 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
VP

Inverted flight uses the "idle up" mode on the transmitter.
This changes the motor pitch curve from kinda linear from low pitch to high pitch with rpm, to a v-shape.
http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Idle_up_mode
There should be an explanation of the programming in your manual.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I see how in Phoenix I can switch the Gyro between the 2 modes. What are the uses for both modes? Also on a real Heli is the Gyro either one or the other or can it be infintely adjustable between the 2 modes.

VP
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I see how in Phoenix I can switch the Gyro between the 2 modes. What are the uses for both modes? Also on a real Heli is the Gyro either one or the other or can it be infintely adjustable between the 2 modes.

VP
The gyro sensitivity setting is normally between 0 to 100. A setting of 70 or above is normally in "heading hold" mode. You may wish a try a setting of around for "rate mode". However, you will have trouble taking off from the ground in rate mode and so it is best to take off in "heading hold mode" first before switching.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Inverted flight uses the "idle up" mode on the transmitter.
This changes the motor pitch curve from kinda linear from low pitch to high pitch with rpm, to a v-shape.
http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Idle_up_mode
There should be an explanation of the programming in your manual.
How do I set the "Idle Up" mode on the DX8?

VP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
However, you will have trouble taking off from the ground in rate mode and so it is best to take off in "heading hold mode" first before switching.
He's on a sim. I think he can afford a couple crashes to learn how to take off in rate mode.
wetwolf is online now Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:54 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Are there some plane fly like a heli?
KDS700E is offline Find More Posts by KDS700E
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:02 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
Oh that stinks, I've been flying CP in the sim in "bank and yank" fashion. So I may not be able to fly like this if my gyro does not support the other mode? Guess it's not too hard to learn. Have to figure how to switch it in Clearview.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:14 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Oh that stinks, I've been flying CP in the sim in "bank and yank" fashion. So I may not be able to fly like this if my gyro does not support the other mode? Guess it's not too hard to learn. Have to figure how to switch it in Clearview.
I have been practicing flying in both modes, I prefer "Yank and Bank". But can appreciate the precision of "Tweaking the Nose"!

VP
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,468 Posts
Quote:
How do I set the "Idle Up" mode on the DX8?

VP
Don't know.
The manual for the DX-7 mentions Idle up, but that's about it.
From the Blade CP manual, the throttle and pitch curves in Idle Up look like this..
In operation on the ground with the throttle advanced 1/2 way, engaging I.U. results an instant increase in rotor rpm, and if the pitch stick is forward, the heli is pushed down hard... if the pitch stick is aft, the heli will leap off the ground!
Be careful..
I never got to where I had an opportunity to use I.U. in the air....
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Don't know.
The manual for the DX-7 mentions Idle up, but that's about it.
From the Blade CP manual, the throttle and pitch curves in Idle Up look like this..
In operation on the ground with the throttle advanced 1/2 way, engaging I.U. results an instant increase in rotor rpm, and if the pitch stick is forward, the heli is pushed down hard... if the pitch stick is aft, the heli will leap off the ground!
Be careful..
I never got to where I had an opportunity to use I.U. in the air....
How come you never got to use IU in the air? Shouldnt the stick be down, towards you for it to push the heli into the ground if it is still sitting on the ground? If you push the stick away from you doesnt it then go up?

VP