HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SoaringDude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
813 Posts
Mini-HowTo
GoPro HD Hero mount details

To all those asking, here's how I mounted the HD Hero camera on my non-powered gliders. Many HD Hero owners use the clear plastic case that comes with the camera but I decided to go for best video quality (it's an HD camera after all) and minimum drag by mounting the camera "naked." I got the basic idea from a post on RC Groups.

Basically, the mount is a piece of 1/16" aluminum that bolts to the top of the wing using longer wing bolts. I have different pairs of wing bolt holes drilled so the same bracket works with both my gliders. The camera is secured using zip ties. Holes are drilled allowing the camera to be attached facing front, back, left, and right: you get to pick one direction per flight .

Several important details: first, drill the wing bolt bracket holes so you center the camera weight over your plane's CG. This will minimize trimming changes. FWIW, even with the CG unchanged I still needed lots of up trim with the camera on board. Next, you want to protect your glider from the metal mount with foam. Pic 4 shows how I used thicker foam in the center and thinner foam on the mount "extensions." Pic 3 shows the cut channels in the foam to allow for the zip ties. Next, you will need to use longer wing bolts. On both my gliders it took an extra 10mm of bolt length to do the trick.

Finally, but of critical importance, it is HIGHLY advised that you use short wing bolt spacers between the camera bracket and the wing bolt holes in the wing. These spacers slip over your mount/wing bolts and should be just long enough to elevate the metal bracket slightly above your glider wing after the bracket/wing bolts have been tightened down. The purpose of these spacers is to prevent crushing your wing when you tighten the bolts. You may get away with not doing this if you're careful to not tighten the wing bolts too tight but I didn't want the wing to loosen up in flight.

Pic 8 has the dimensions if you want to make a mount. Pic 1 shows the camera with tie wraps set for the forward direction. Pic 6 shows the camera pointing forward while pic 7 shows the camera and zip tie holes for side shots.

Possible mods: I may build a "stand" that mounts on top of this bracket so the camera is elevated more. This would remove more of the plane's wing and nose from videos. Only downside with doing that is it would likely increase camera vibration and would probably require adjustments in the mount to get it dialed in.

Any questions let me know!

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jan 18, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
Asker, Norway
Joined Jan 2010
105 Posts
That mount looks great! So simple and functional, well done!
gardleopard is offline Find More Posts by gardleopard
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Why not make is so you can use the protective case that came with it? Its designed to protect it and keep that little piece of awesome safe.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:59 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsdeer4fun View Post
Why not make is so you can use the protective case that came with it? Its designed to protect it and keep that little piece of awesome safe.
Yes, it would be more protective to use the HD Hero plastic case. When I mount it on an electric glider (still deciding which one to get) I will probably do that. But on both my TD gliders (XPlorer 3.8 and Pike Superior) I figured it would be better to have less drag for better thermaling. And, from what I have read in other RCG posts, the video quality is slightly better without the plastic cover.

I promise I'll be careful with it

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude