HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:51 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
I fixed it up with some depon I had laying around. Now I have a white frontend.
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
I fixed it up with some depon I had laying around. Now I have a white frontend.
You know, I have done some terribly violant things to EPP planes without any damage, I might be getting a bit nervous about this one. I have never had a depron style foamie before, I should watch my self.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:26 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
John, being in Germany do they stock planes like these locally of do you have to get them shipped in? I got a break on mine for some reason, it was only 49.99, I see now they are back up to 59.99 again.

Ron,

I purchase very little on the economy in Germany. Their government adds in a 19% tax on everything you buy. I mostly order from the USA. I will finally be back there in a few days. I cannot wait to get settled and building again.

Take care

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:18 AM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpilotto
Ron,

Their government adds in a 19% tax on everything you buy.
Won't be long until we have a VAT tax here.........
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:27 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
You know, I have done some terribly violant things to EPP planes without any damage, I might be getting a bit nervous about this one. I have never had a depron style foamie before, I should watch my self.

Yea, I have too which is why I didn't think anything of trying a WOT blender on the Sihoutte. Live and learn I guess.

Since I learned the hard way, I just thought I'd pass what I learned on so others wouldn't have the same problem.

I also have a pluma and would watch the violent manuevers with that plane also.

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:37 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
Yea, I have too which is why I didn't think anything of trying a WOT blender on the Sihoutte. Live and learn I guess.
Since I learned the hard way, I just thought I'd pass what I learned on so others wouldn't have the same problem.
I also have a pluma and would watch the violent manuevers with that plane also.
Carlo
Thank you for the heads up, I can get my self into trouble with out the good tips..
Old Oct 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Looks like the E-Flite Park 400 920kv is the winner

Just a quick bench test with a 11X7 APC prop shows 675 grams of thrust at 14.5 amps at 166 watts. That prop is a tad hot for this application.

Upping the motor weight by 10 grams but adding 40-50 watts will still be in the range of 150 watts per pound for 3D. I had this motor on my Gentle Lady 2Meter Glider with AUW of 27 ounces with a 10X7 folder and it was too much, the silly thing would go vertical and do loops without issue. I am going to put the 740Kv on it so it is not sooo intense.

Type: Brushless
Size: Replacement for 370/400
Bearings or Bushings: Bearings
Recommended Prop Range: 9x7 to 11x4.7
Voltage: 7.2–12
RPM/Volt (Kv): 920 (rpms per volt)
Resistance (Ri): .10 ohms
Idle Current (Io): .70 @10V (no load current)
Shaft Diameter: 1/8 in (3.17mm)
Overall Length: 1.15 in (29mm)
Weight: 56 g (2.0 oz)
Overall Diameter: 1.10 in (28mm)
Diameter: 1.1 in (28mm)
Continuous Current: 10A
Maximum Burst Current: 13A
Cells: 6–10 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH or 2–3 Li-Po
Speed Control: 10–20 amp brushless
Old Oct 26, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Sounds like a good choice of motor. Will you be changing the esc also?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
Sounds like a good choice of motor. Will you be changing the esc also?
While throttle management may save the little Jeti 12 amp..... I am not letting out the magic smoke. I have a few choices, a 15 amp Scorpion, a 18 amp Turnigy Plush, or a 22 amp E-Flight. A few grams extra but worth keeping the magic smoke in place.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
While throttle management may save the little Jeti 12 amp..... I am not letting out the magic smoke. I have a few choices, a 15 amp Scorpion, a 18 amp Turnigy Plush, or a 22 amp E-Flight. A few grams extra but worth keeping the magic smoke in place.
Let us know how it fly's. More good flights today, you can fly this plane on knife edge all day. Can't get flat spin to flatten out as much as I would like.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:57 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
Let us know how it fly's. More good flights today, you can fly this plane on knife edge all day. Can't get flat spin to flatten out as much as I would like.
Had a great morning, I would say 35-40 degrees and calm. I took her out the first time with the new configuration and it was spot on target. The E-flight Park 400 920Kv and a Turnigy 18 amp <over kill> 11X3.8 and Rhino 3S750
430g or 15.16 ounces.

On the first flight I had the lipo too far forward and was a tad nose heavy but other then that, it flys very well. I was much more comfortable with the power to weight, a bit over half throttle for the hover, plenty of power to climb out and just smooth. Since it was nose heavy I trimmed in a bit of up, this made it want to fall towards its back a little in the hover but was nothing to keep in place. Very stable flight.

I lost my Hatch for the first time today so the hatch mod is a msut now. I only got one flight, when I pull the lipo from the velcro, the velcro came off the wing. This Pro Formance foam has a almost oily surface, the velcro I use is so sticky it wont come off most surfaces. I will have to add a bit of UHU to the velcro when I do the canopy mod.

Ron
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Pleased to hear you had a good flight. Hatch mod is a must and I am pleased that I did it on mine as the hatch stays on and the access to electronics is how it should be.

I am going to fly with the Rhino 750's this week, once I have put Deans on them. What flight time did you get yesterday?

I flew only once this week, and had the same issue with the motor mount, but I hope I have that taken care of now, with some careful repair and strengthening. Will try again this week, and I have given up on the wheel spats, added small collars to retain wheels.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 08:30 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Pleased to hear you had a good flight. Hatch mod is a must and I am pleased that I did it on mine as the hatch stays on and the access to electronics is how it should be.

I am going to fly with the Rhino 750's this week, once I have put Deans on them. What flight time did you get yesterday?

I flew only once this week, and had the same issue with the motor mount, but I hope I have that taken care of now, with some careful repair and strengthening. Will try again this week, and I have given up on the wheel spats, added small collars to retain wheels.
The balsa part that came out of the wheel pants, since they stayed on the LG I just left them to hold the wheels on for now.

I flew around 6 minutes, still had plenty of power to hover, I was just worried that if I ran to LVC while nose heavy it might be scarey so I cut the flight short, I would say 10 mintes was well within reach. I don't fly full thottle much, I like the low and slow stuff.

I was going to check the Lipo volts but when the velcro came off I figured it was done for a bit.

What motor and prop do you have on that one? Seems like it wants to escape
Old Nov 08, 2009, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I fly with a motor with very near your motor specs, Turnigy TR28-30B, I have a watt meter now so I'll see what is pulls static on Monday, but I'm guessing around 150W at around 15A.
Model: TR2830-1050
Max Eff: 12A
Max Load: 14A
Kv: 1050
Weight: 57.9gr
Pull: 400~900gr
Prop: 10x5 or 10x6
Voltage: 6~10v
No Load Curr: .9A
Size : 30mm
I was using a 11x3.8 APC SF prop, I bought a slightly lighter (and cheaper ) from Hobby City, which are not quite as brittle as the APC. Next order I will try a GWS, but I always feel more comfortable with a fairly rigid prop. They just seem to 'bite the air' better when punching out from down low. I am also quite aggressive in flight. I like to go vertical and do spins and blenders, and that draws quite a lot of amps.

I think the motor and prop 'escaped' because the repair from previous escape was not good enough. It is as good as I can get now without adding bracing etc. which I want to avoid. The only thing that holds the motor in is the Depron slots and the glue to between the depron and the mounts, but we will see next week. If it breaks again, I will brace it. I could brace it now with some 3mm foam from Hobby Lobby. But I may also buy another kit and outfit with an ultralite setup. I like the slightly heavier plane, as I can fly in 10-15mph breeze, and I don't fly indoors. I really like the way this plane fly's.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 05:17 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
I fly with a motor with very near your motor specs, Turnigy TR28-30B, I have a watt meter now so I'll see what is pulls static on Monday, but I'm guessing around 150W at around 15A.
Model: TR2830-1050
I was using a 11x3.8 APC SF prop, I bought a slightly lighter (and cheaper ) from Hobby City, which are not quite as brittle as the APC. Next order I will try a GWS, but I always feel more comfortable with a fairly rigid prop. They just seem to 'bite the air' better when punching out from down low. I am also quite aggressive in flight. I like to go vertical and do spins and blenders, and that draws quite a lot of amps.

I think the motor and prop 'escaped' because the repair from previous escape was not good enough. It is as good as I can get now without adding bracing etc. which I want to avoid. The only thing that holds the motor in is the Depron slots and the glue to between the depron and the mounts, but we will see next week. If it breaks again, I will brace it. I could brace it now with some 3mm foam from Hobby Lobby. But I may also buy another kit and outfit with an ultralite setup. I like the slightly heavier plane, as I can fly in 10-15mph breeze, and I don't fly indoors. I really like the way this plane fly's.
This Plane flys nicer everytime I fly it. We had a GREAT weather day today, calm, warm and sunny.

I forgot to time my 3S750 flight, but I did have one of the club guys time my last flight with a Rhino 3S610 and with aggressing climbs, torque rolls, hovers and everything I could toss at it, just shy of 6 minutes. The little 610s don't last long in my i3D biplane either, about the same.

As I am slowly getting the CG back to its happy place, this thing flys very nice! It is very well behaved.

I may look into the motor you have, my old Park 400 920 has gutz, no problem, but I got it used and it has some wear on it, makes a little noise so I know it is not as efficent as it could be but it sure tosses and twists this plane around.

Since I have not done the canopy mod, small 1/2 inch strip of blenderm tape at the back an it was all good.