Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by marcusg
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
Discussion
Can somebody (anybody) please help me with my DX6i elevon mixing.

I know this has already been spoken on multiple times but nothing is working for me. I activated the elevon mix, reversed both aileron and elevator and I still only get aileron control on my elevator and elevator control on my aileron.

I tried everything. I connected the aileron servo to the elevator port and the elevator servo to the aileron port on the rx but still don't have proper stick control.

I looked at all the tutorials online and repeated everything multiple times but still get the same results. I also used two different receivers (OrangeRx and a spektrum AR400) to no avail. Same results.

Please help . Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, marcusg
marcusg is online now Find More Posts by marcusg
Last edited by marcusg; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:51 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
I got it working.
What I did, is instead of reversing both aileron and elevator, I just reversed the aileron and everything worked like it's supposed to. I have not actually installed the servos on the wing yet but all the right movements are there.

Anybody else had to do it this way ? All the tutorials I've seen say to reverse both aileron and elevator so I don't know why it didn't work the "known" way.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Jotasol
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
It was funky for me too.
I also used a very small about of up elevator on the flap switch for launching at half throttle and it works great.
I fly this with stock power setup and it's great.
Got 2 of them at an auction for $30 so I'm loving it.
They are just a bit nose heavy so I want to add tail weight or something.
I totally crashed one and used gorilla glue and tape to repair it and it's flawless--except being a tad nose heavy.
Jotasol is offline Find More Posts by Jotasol
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
Mine are strykers.
Sorry thought this was the Stryker page.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:49 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
After all these years the Dx6i been out I don't understand why Spektrum haven't been able to fix this programming glitch.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 01:53 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotasol View Post
It was funky for me too.
I also used a very small about of up elevator on the flap switch for launching at half throttle and it works great.
I fly this with stock power setup and it's great.
Got 2 of them at an auction for $30 so I'm loving it.
They are just a bit nose heavy so I want to add tail weight or something.
I totally crashed one and used gorilla glue and tape to repair it and it's flawless--except being a tad nose heavy.
Hey jotasol, did you setup any DR and expo on your dx6i/Popwing ? If so, how much and how did you do it ? Was there any special type of programming that has to be done like the elevens ? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
Mine are F27c Strykers.
Mine were easy to put in DR & Expo.
I can look how much when I get home Monday.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
The annoying thing is the faulty timer.
You have to reset it with switch before you unplug or it goes to default.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2016
326 Posts
O and only 10 model memory and no 3 pos switch. Other than that it's a workhorse. My tx batteries last forever.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by hard line
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
After all these years the Dx6i been out I don't understand why Spektrum haven't been able to fix this programming glitch.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue, that's not a glitch. Between the two possible reversals and swapping the elevon connectors at the rx, there are 8 possible combinations. Which you need is determined by your servo directions and how they're installed. It's not a fault -- various planes need those other combinations. You just have to work your way through the possibilities until you find the right one for you. Which you did.

There is however an actual elevon mixing glitch with the DX6i and it's well documented in various threads here. It has to do with the mix not providing high enough throws and sometimes giving slightly mismatched left/right throws. Some bright guys on RCGroups have figured out alternate mixes to fix the DX6i elevon glitch. You can probably find it with advanced searching. I never found it necessary to mess with the programming on my elevon planes, but apparently some do.
hard line is online now Find More Posts by hard line
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by mu5tanggt
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
132 Posts
I flew my Stryker with the standard dx6i mix it flew fine just had a higher roll rate one way vs the other. Never bothered with the fix.
mu5tanggt is online now Find More Posts by mu5tanggt
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding your issue, that's not a glitch. Between the two possible reversals and swapping the elevon connectors at the rx, there are 8 possible combinations. Which you need is determined by your servo directions and how they're installed. It's not a fault -- various planes need those other combinations. You just have to work your way through the possibilities until you find the right one for you. Which you did.
I hear you. Maybe glitch was the wrong word. All I know is that I use to fly nothing but futabas and never had any problems with the elevon mixing. All I ever had to do was activate the mix and was good to go. IMO you shouldn't have to go through eight possible combinations to get it to work right.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu5tanggt View Post
I flew my Stryker with the standard dx6i mix it flew fine just had a higher roll rate one way vs the other. Never bothered with the fix.
Did I understand you right ? You didn't have to do anything but activate the mix ? Lucky you.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by hard line
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Joined May 2012
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
. IMO you shouldn't have to go through eight possible combinations to get it to work right.
I still don't think you understand the issue. If you were to build a plane with the horns rotated inward instead of outward, would you expect the radio to figure it out on it's own? I also have a plane with both horns pointed to the right. Weird but maybe they had their reasons. The radio has to be told about that too. And there are two styles of servos, CW and CCW, sometimes called reversed. Yet another configuration the radio knows nothing about unless you tell it.

The reason the radio has eight possible combinations is planes can be built in eight different configurations.
hard line is online now Find More Posts by hard line
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
I still don't think you understand the issue. If you were to build a plane with the horns rotated inward instead of outward, would you expect the radio to figure it out on it's own? I also have a plane with both horns pointed to the right. Weird but maybe they had their reasons. The radio has to be told about that too. And there are two styles of servos, CW and CCW, sometimes called reversed. Yet another configuration the radio knows nothing about unless you tell it.

The reason the radio has eight possible combinations is planes can be built in eight different configurations.
No I understand what you are saying. I get it about the horns and how some servos need to be revered and vice versa.p but the thing how the elevator is aileron and the and the ailerons become elevator is to much in IMO. A guy shouldn't have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell is going. Again I never ever ran into that problem with any of my Futaba radios (or even a Hitec for that matter.). Seriously, I can't recall ever seeing any videos/threads about problems with Futaba's elevon mix.

Like they say, "you can accept it or reject it" and in this case, I accept it. I'm now using all Spectrum and OrangeRx gear so it really doesn't matter. I figured it out and got it going so it's all good..
Last edited by marcusg; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.