Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by DeeBee1
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,206 Posts
Gallery
Another Junior 60!

Haven't posted for a while so I thought I'd share some photos of my 'almost' finished Junior 60. Just needs a few final jobs, covering, and fitting of the radio and engine (PAW19 BR/RC).

Built from a Flair Products kit. Not a bad kit, just a few niggles. I'd give it 7.5 out of 10.

Took me ages - I'm such a slow builder! Going to run-in the engine this week and get covering. Hopefully she'll fly by early October
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,617 Posts
Nice classic framework DeeBee - it almost seems a shame to cover it! What are you going to use?
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by williame3590
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
3,561 Posts
The excellent building job deserves a semi-transparent, what is your engine of choice?

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,206 Posts
Thanks guys.

Covering will be 'Antique' Solartex with some black trim. Engine is a PAW 19 BR (3.10cc) with an R/C throttle.

This was the first build I've done where I've had to solder together the undercarriage with tinplate - the soldering isn't pretty but it worked out acceptable with an 80W iron and lots of flux.

Hopefully she won't need too much extra nose weight if I shove everything near the front!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
2,317 Posts
My first J60 was like that, built from a Flair kit and covered in Solartex.
Be warned that mine needed exactly 1lb of lead in the nose (3.5 lb as built, 4.5 lb with the lead) and it flew superbly!
It's too late now but, IMHO, it's worth lightening the 1955 J60 aft of the CG.
The one I recently finished weighs 2 lb 10 oz, but it's tissue covered and the wood was "selected".
If you haven't run your PAW yet, I think you'll be delighted. I have two 19RC TBR engines, and they're superb, likewise a 60 that I ran in 4 days ago.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by madbomber
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Nice work, looks good!
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by Monza Red
France, Limousin, Lourdoueix-Saint-Pierre
Joined Mar 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
My first J60 was like that, built from a Flair kit and covered in Solartex.
Be warned that mine needed exactly 1lb of lead in the nose (3.5 lb as built, 4.5 lb with the lead) and it flew superbly!
That's nothing! I learned to fly on a Junior 60 and mine required 1.5 lbs of lead in the nose, Irvine 21 ex car racing engine up front. It still flew well!

In the end I sold it to my cousin. By then I had fitted it with a plain bearing Irvine 21 Blackhead and it was on its second fuselage and third tailplane! By that time, I had lightened the tail surfaces by carefully selecting the wood and it did not require any lead in the nose. I had repositioned the receiver battery under the engine mind.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:09 AM
Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Joined Mar 2007
2,047 Posts
Was flying a Junior 60 last night, in the calm air which sometimes precedes the sunset.

Very pleasant after the snorty Saito 1.80 in my Chipmunk.

Get 'er done.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,422 Posts
Beautiful job! I think the PAW .19 will be nice power for it. But you may need some nose weight. A guy on one of these forums flew his J60 with a Saito .45! A bit much, but no trouble balancing. Enjoy!

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
8,430 Posts
I do wish you blokes would stop posting these photos of lovely models. That's another I have to add to my scaling down list.
The antique Solartex should give a nice representation of fuel-proofed nylon or silk - that nicely yellowed effect.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,422 Posts
Yes, Solartex will be lovely on those bones, but I would be strongly inclined to use Litespan on the tail feathers, if you don't mind a tissue look there. Solartex is kind of heavy, and balancing would go much better with a lighter material at the extreme rear.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Sep 25, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,206 Posts
Thanks guys.

Peter - There's a 48" version that was published in Aeromodeller in 1987 and there are plans and partkits for several Junior 30 designs. An indoor version would be a nice idea (Junior 20 perhaps?). It would go well with Traplet's Micro Super 60 and Mountain Model's indoor Tomboy.

Jim - Thanks for the tip with the Litespan.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee1 View Post
Thanks guys.

Peter - There's a 48" version that was published in Aeromodeller in 1987 and there are plans and partkits for several Junior 30 designs. An indoor version would be a nice idea (Junior 20 perhaps?). It would go well with Traplet's Micro Super 60 and Mountain Model's indoor Tomboy.

Jim - Thanks for the tip with the Litespan.
Yes indeed, the J60 scales down very well. I built a 2/5th (24") one for the KP01 electric unit, free-flight, some 25 years ago. The structure was exactly scaled down, including the plug together two piece wing and it flew beautifully. With a little brushless and lightweight radio would be great. Seen in the photo with my 60% Pushy Cat, known as Pushy Kitten (published in Aeromodeller) similarly powered.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Sep 25, 2013, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by patmcc
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
766 Posts
My Jnr 60 was made from the Flair kit around 1986, covered with Solartex & flown regularly until 2004, most of that time it was powered by an old type OS 25. I bolted a stack of weight in the engine bay, gradualy reducing the amount whilst checking the effect on handling until only 2oz remained. The cg finished up 1.25" behind the plan's position, the elevator was permanently adjusted to 0.25" down for normal flight, the glide greatly improved and there was no adverse effect to the handling.
The OS 25 is about 1.5oz heavier overall than the PAW 19 so IMO you shouldn't need a great deal of nose weight or need go to any special bother to keep the tail end light - just a little common sense.

The model was stored in the loft from 2004 until last year when I began a conversion to electric power & general refurb. I posted a blog at the time elsewhere but I'll open a new post & repeat it here.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Last edited by patmcc; Sep 25, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,206 Posts
Thanks for the great photos Sundancer and Pat. The J60 is now half clothed. I'm enjoying using Solartex - never used it before - much less fiddly that the other films and the finish looks great.

Would probably have made more progress but I've been flying my Chris Foss Electric Acro Wot during my spare time the last couple of days to take advantage of the warm, still weather we've had on the south coast of the UK