New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2004, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Super Star with AILERONS by HOBBICO

Well, just look what came in the FEDX truck (A rental, seems they have lots of work! )

Just take a look!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2004, 05:00 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I really can't beleive the hunk of a motor HOBBICO puts in these models?? I mean these ARF Trainers are already heavy and they install a large, super HEAVY Speed 600 up front.

Okay,
Did not bring ESC as expected
Did not bring Prop as expected
Did not bring manual as not expected

The manual is no big deal since I have a SUPER STAR EP without ailerons.

That Speed 600 is Super Heavy and the FUSE almost slipped through my hands since I am used to picking up my SUPER STAR EP with the KYOSHO ENDOLAMSA 16-Turn (550 Brushed motor) instead of this BOAT ANCHOR!

Well, I am glad that I have another ENDOPLAMSA waiting in the wings for this new aileron SUPER STAR EP!

Carlos
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:16 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
More details.....

1. It didn't come with the metal wing joiner.
2. The wing is flat bottom.
3. The wing edges are angled for dihedral.
4. The wing comes with linkages for just ONE Aileron Servo!!

I am not going to put too much dihedral in the wing and will of course need some kind of wedge between the two wings to support the angle.

I am so happy that this model was made for just one servo for ailerons.

I estimate that this model will fly inverted, and roll just super nice with these very long strip ailerons!

Here's a aerial shot of all the gear...

Carlos
Old Dec 19, 2004, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,273 Posts
guapoman,
I have had mine for a while now and I think you will be happy. Did I read your post correctly listing all of the missing parts? What a drag. Anyway, with my setup mine will do just about everything, I don't know about inverted, haven't been that brave yet. I really love this plane. You are right about those 600 motors, I have 2 of them lying around, anybody need a paperweight? JIm
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Dec 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn
guapoman,
I have had mine for a while now and I think you will be happy. Did I read your post correctly listing all of the missing parts? What a drag. Anyway, with my setup mine will do just about everything, I don't know about inverted, haven't been that brave yet. I really love this plane. You are right about those 600 motors, I have 2 of them lying around, anybody need a paperweight? JIm
Jim,

What kind of roll rate are you getting? Does it have dihedral?
What power combination? Do you have the endo or brushless?
What prop size/pitch?

Let us know....

Carlos
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,273 Posts
Carlos,
Roll rate is good. Had to dial mine down a bit. Had it on high rates and it was whipping over pretty good. I really have not put it through a lot of aerobatics, mostly to do with my ability, but it responds really well with the ailerons and handles wind very well. Have flown in over 10 and though twitchy, no problem.
For power I am using the same setup as my last one. Trinity Amber 17 turn truck motor, GD 600 gearbox 2.51, and a 10x7 apc E prop. I have been very happy with this, and it has great power with the 8 cell 1700 4/5 sub c nicad pack I have been using. I get about 8 to 10 minutes with this pack. I just got an 8 cell 2600 nimh 4/5 from Cheap battery packs, but been pretty cold here and I am going to put a new set of brushes in this motor. Will let you know how that one works after the rebuild and the weather breaks. . Jim
Old Dec 20, 2004, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by sokmeister
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Hello-

wooooooooohooooooo! i got my SS EP today! with ailerons! now i can attempt to do what this thread's about! man! i haven't maiden my mach 1 yet, and i'm about to jump into the SSEP! maybe i should fly this one before the mach 1!

i got the GD-600 and extra spur! waiting to go to LHS to hunt down an Endo!
i have (6) 8-cell GP3300's that needs cycling! i will be busy this xmas break!

See Ya!

Sok
sokmeister is offline Find More Posts by sokmeister
Old Dec 20, 2004, 06:35 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Ah HA! i just got off the phone with RC Modeler Northwest in Aloha Oregon, (a few minutes from my work here in Hillsboro, OR) they have waiting for me a Kyosho Endoplasma motor! looking good! looking good!

Sok
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:04 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Seems like you may beat me at flying the Aileron SUPER STAR EP....I just got back from a 4 hour oddissy with one of my daughters looking for this dang JACK, from the NIGHTMARE BEFORE XMAS.....can tell you we didn't find JACK!!

Errrr.....Came home pretty beat!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:08 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
hello-

well, i got my Endo, but the only problem is that the only 12-tooth pinion available was a robinson racing 12 tooth 48 pitch. i know this is the correct type, my concern is that i am not able to get a full face contact. is this the correct usage of words? do you guys know what i am talking about? i got most of it to contact before the grub screw interfere with the spur. so there is about close to 2 mm on non contact.
should i worry about this?

Thanks,

Sok
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:14 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,273 Posts
I would be worried about any slop or interference on the spur gear. If you get a gd 600 gearbox the gears should mesh smoothly and be no problem. I have two of them on two different planes and they work great, even though they are a bit on the ugly side. Jim
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:58 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Jim-
Thanks for the timely response. I set my gear lash with a piece of paper. It seems good to go! there doesn't seem to be any slop nor interference. i was just concern that i might not have even wear on the spur gear cus the pinion does not have a full face width contact onto the spur.
Glad to hear you've trouble free operation with this G/B.

Sok
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:09 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Seems like the length of the pinion gear is not long enough to make the needed contact on the full length to the Plastic spur gear.... hum..2mm is pretty small area and it might be okay or it might wear the spur uneven and in such a way that it just might push plastic shavings later and cause jamming?

Dont' really know since I get the pinion from Tower Hobbies that is made for the gearbox and matches right on the money with the spur gear.

Carlos.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:01 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Good Morning-
My SSEP is almost complete! need to install electronics and the Endo!

Please take a look at my pinion and spur contact...if visible. Should i worry about this? maybe its best i order a 12-tooth from tower!

How is the quality of finish on you guys SSEP? from ma pic, you can tell mine wasn't that great! i am kinda disappointed!
Oh! how about the down thrust of this setup? it appears to be well exagerated! is this ok?
Sorry to ask so many questions!

Thanks,

Sok
Old Dec 21, 2004, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by thacherd
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Down thrust is pretty exagerated, and it is even more with the gearbox... but it is normal, and the plane will fly decently with the stock downthrust.
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd